Thread: .300H&H to .300Weatherby conversion...

Default .300H&H to .300Weatherby conversion...

My Dad had an old Rem721 that was originally .300H&H and had been converted (bored out?) to .300 Weatherby, very reliably.

Can this type of thing still be done, and if so any ideas about cost/professionalism/who does it?

Thanks for ANY advise or recommendations.

And, in a similar question: can a .243 be converted to .308...with new barrel and some chamber/smith work? Maybe not worth the effort?

Curious, and always learning. Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    My Dad had an old Rem721 that was originally .300H&H and had been converted (bored out?) to .300 Weatherby, very reliably.

Can this type of thing still be done, and if so any ideas about cost/professionalism/who does it?

Thanks for ANY advise or recommendations.

And, in a similar question: can a .243 be converted to .308...with new barrel and some chamber/smith work? Maybe not worth the effort?

Curious, and always learning. Thanks folks!
    Still easy to do. In the case of the 300 WBY conversion, the die cleans up the old H&H chamber rather nicely. Converting a .243 Winchester to a .308 is as simple as swapping the bbl and checking headspace. So long as the bolt face matches the cartridge head size and the magazine is long enough it's pretty simple to convert. In cases where you go from a standard cartridge to a magnum the boltface has to be opened, and that can be a little more difficult depending on the specific action used, but wouldn't be so expensive as to make the conversion not worthwhile. Converting a standard-length action to a magnum-length though...that gets expensive and usually it's just easier (cheaper) and better to buy a new action to start with.

A conversion like that is sacreligious

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    sacreligious...
    No, No, it's not anything Medical...it's a gunsmith thing.
    I remember my unkle had to have his sacreligia removed.
    Tractor accident. It wasn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Still easy to do...
    Thanks, Diesel! Great info AND good news.

It was so common to see Winchester pre's in H&H's jugged out to .300Wbyfrom H&H barrel from Winchester was simple and doing a re barrel was simple that buying them here in Alaska was simple. Buying a new barrel was easy and making some money on the job made some cash. It was the same with a Remington but fewer were done. Now a days you have to go to a custom barrel maker/fitter to have one done and the cost about a 1,ooo.00 bucks. Still cheap when you think about the money you make back. The .300 H&H in original condition brings a lot more money today because of all this fooling around. I know as I have kept one from the mid 50's. My grand Dad's old hunting rifle that he may have shot half a box of shells through.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Rechambering

In my collection of barrels I've to a number of Mdl 70 barrels that were rechambered thus ruining most collector value.

One is a pre-64 .375 H&H that was re-chambered and chrome lined by Weatherby. When I get a .300 H&H action I'm going to re-use that one.

Another is an orginal .300 Savage barrel - I need to find a vintage 48 magnumized action to put that one on. Even re-chambered it will make up into a very desireable gun.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

So, if you bore out the .300H&H to a .300Weatherby, it's not just a matter of enlarging/rounding the chamber shoulders into the larger weatherby, but a new barrel has to be added as well?

Also, can a .300Winmag be easily converted to .300weatherby also?
    If I can't find a good 721 in H&H (at the time that I have the $$, that is) maybe I can work with a 700 in .300Winmag...which should be plentiful.

I guess Remington DID chamber the .300weatherby ONE TIME from the factory in the 1989 Remington 700 classic.

So, if you bore out the .300H&H to a .300Weatherby, it's not just a matter of enlarging/rounding the chamber shoulders into the larger weatherby, but a new barrel has to be added as well?

Also, can a .300Winmag be easily converted to .300weatherby also?
    If I can't find a good 721 in H&H (at the time that I have the $$, that is) maybe I can work with a 700 in .300Winmag...which should be plentiful.

I guess Remington DID chamber the .300weatherby ONE TIME from the factory in the 1989 Remington 700 classic.
    No... you will not have to rebarrel going from .300 H&H too .300 wtby. I believe a .300 WM is not gonna be an easy conversion, as its it is a standard length action, the H&H and WTBY are long actions.

Thanks, Barkbuster. I hadn't considered the possibly different action lengths.

Thanks, Barkbuster. I hadn't considered the possibly different action lengths.
    Rem 700 actions come in two action lengths--for cartridges 2.8" and shorter and for cartridges up to 3.65". The differences in actions for '06 cases and magnum length cases is in the bolt face, feed rails and the magazine box, though I have a 700 in 270 Win with a 3.6" magazine box.

Using a 300 WM may be an easy conversion, simply ream the chamber to the Weatherby and set the barrel back a 1/4 turn, and use the existing follower and magazine box--voila a 300 Weatherby. Or you may have to procure a longer magazine box and follower for the longer Weatherby cartridge, which are readily available and fairly inexpensive. My hesitation in recommending such a conversion would be that most factory 700s chambered in 300 WM have a 24" barrel. Rechambering one of these will produce a rifle that recoils more, makes more noise while providing very little additional velocity. Practically you would have a heavy kicking 300 WM that fires very expensive factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    My hesitation in recommending such a conversion would be that most factory 700s chambered in 300 WM have a 24" barrel. Rechambering one of these will produce a rifle that recoils more, makes more noise while providing very little additional velocity. Practically you would have a heavy kicking 300 WM that fires very expensive factory ammo.
    Good points, 1Cor.
    There does become a point where the "sentimental" conversion becomes illogical, and cost prohibitive as well. I think I'll just stick with trying to find an old 721 in H&H. From what I've found that was a very popular cartridge for the old 721.