Thread: Su-Valley Winter Trail 2010

Default Su-Valley Winter Trail 2010

We have a cabin near Trapper Creek. Friends have one near Big Lake (Butterfly Lake actually). Last year about this time was the inaugural opening of a the Su Valley winter trial, which essentially linked Petersville/Trapper Creek to Big Lake.

Iíve been as far south as the end of the Rabideux trail (roughly mile 105 on the Parks). Two questions:

1) Does the trail still follow whatís shown on the Mat-Su map (see link below)?
    2) Any spots that are impassible or in particularly rough shape right now?

Thanks,
    Rick

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/groompool/susitnavalleywinter.pdf

Default Rode part of that trail...

Yesterday. The Wife,a friend of mine and I rode big swamp back to the Iron Dog trail and then turned around and went back up to Susitna landing on the SVWT. The trail IS great but with these temps most likely won't be for long. And yes it follows the map and is marked well enough that a person could follow it even in a blizzard. The Willow trail committe is doing a bang up job keeping these trails smooth and in good shape. While I don't think we were, it seemed like we were just behind the groomer everywhere we went.
    Olspeed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink Pretty much!

Almost all of the Willow Area was groomed this week! Funds and time are runninng short. I just covered most of the trail today and it's in pretty fair shape. But the Big Lake area is quite ruff do to lack of grooming this season. But is still not to bad. And getting to Butterfly Lake is going to be better than Big Lake.
    Now is the time to ride!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Alaska Backcountry Tours took some clients out today from the Landing north on the SVWT almost to where it joins back up to the Su (about 20 miles). Travel was good, trail was is still in good shape.
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

Thanks for the replies! Now, if we can get my schedule and my friend's schedule to line up before things really start to melt.

When my Daughter and I ran the trail a couple of weeks ago their was one area where you had a pretty steep climb off the river that was a little icey, but overall Big Lake area had a lot to be desired, once getting to the Willow area things got good, Mid Valley north was ok.

Exclamation As of monday, march 22

There is at least a 10 foot long open lead cutting off the Deshka Crossover/Su Valley Winter Trail at the western bank of the Su where it goes onto the land. One guy tried skirting it and went into the river Monday. He is safe and the machine was pulled out.

You can still enjoy the SVWT from Big Lake to Corral Hill, but you won't be able to go north overland to Susitna Landing. Users can still come South from Susitna Landing (not sure how trail condtions are up there) over the Swamps to the Susitna River where they will be stopped by the open lead.

Default Correction

After additional information it turns out the Deshka X-Over is still good coming off of the Susitna on the south end of the overland trail. Bill from Willow Trails Committee just groomed it on Monday. The area where the open lead makes the Su Valley Winter Trail impassable is actually where the trail exits the swamp heading north back onto the Su into Susitna Landing. This is approximately 21 miles from DLOA.