Thread: Karelian Bear Dog looking for a home

Default Karelian Bear Dog looking for a home

I have a 3 1/2 years old pure breed Karelian Bear Dog, female, spayed, mid size (40 lb.)... Sophia is a pure example of the Karelian Bear Dogs breed, very active and always hunting, she hunts 24/7.
    She is an amazing dog, extremely fast and very high on prey drive. Exactly because of that I need a new home for her... She attacked my neighbor's chickens (did not taste blood, but try hard to catch them through the fence) and my neighbor will not give her a second chance.
    She is great with kids and other dogs, anything else with fur or feathers she will hunt.
    If you are looking for an amazing dog or maybe can help me spreading the word about her, it will be great. Send me a PM with your email or phone number and I will contact you. Thank you.

Default Karelian

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have wanted a Karelian for a long time, but the timing for me is not good. I hear they are extremely loyal. This will be a great dog for someone.

ive always wanted to get one, but I wouldnt want her running off on me on hikes or while fishing, and I wouldnt want her attacking moose...how is she on those issues?

Release Lake Trout

Default Reply to huntandfishak

Hey,
    This animal was bred to bay game. In Karelia (now Finland) it was a farmers dog. The standard was performance based, if they ran game off or otherwise did not aid in locating and holding game, they were shot. Her prey drive is very strong, whereas many types of dogs will switch to pack drive (and come) when called, she needs to be touched, and then it is only momentary. Her prey drive dominates her behavior. She is fearless. She is likely to run a perimeter until she locates something interesting to hunt. Other breeds may be better suited to stay by your side.

message sent to you.

Default About beardogs and laikas

Hi kareliandog, hope that Sophia will find a new home. And above all, home with a hunter.

I have been living with artic hunting breeds like karelianbeardogs and laikas all my life since childhood. I write here some of my experiences. Hope that some of you beardogs or laika owners in Alaska find something usefull or new.

These dogs are not farmers dogs, they are hunters dogs. Hunters in Finland and Russia have bred these dogs long time ago for hunting various kinds of game. If the dog does not work with the game it will be shot. These dogs live to hunt and they will find big game like moose and bear. When they find the game, they will stop it and bark. Hunter stalks the game and hopefully gets a shot.

Most dogs are also interested in small game like grouse type game birds or fur animals like marten or fox. It is also easy to train laikas or beardogs to retriewe shot waterfowl from icy water.

Originaly these dogs lived long periods of time in artic taiga with their masters. So they are very loyal and devoted to their masters. It is possibly that at first new master may have some difficulties with them. New master must have plenty of patience and time to build confidence and good relationship.

Laikas and beardogs are very brave and fearless. The only thing that my own dogs are afraid of are wolves. Laikas or beardogs will defend their masters and sometimes this can bring problems. Other strange dogs are seen as masters enemys and are not allowed to come near. Fierce dogfights are seen time to time.

Laikas or beardogs are great hunting companions because they are able to handle many different kinds of game animals. They are almost always able to find their master and seldom they got lost in wilderness. They are very healthy dogs and are able to survive very harsh conditions. Dogs are quite inteligent and they learn new things easily. But they have their own strong will and very very strong hunting drive. Thats why they are sometimes little bit hard to handle.

At the moment I have one east siberian laika male ( 1 year old) and one west siberian laika male (11 years old). For me both are more than just dogs, they are my friends.