Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Local Preference/Priority

  1. #1

    Question Local Preference/Priority

    Based on many posters comments, it appears that several very much favor Local Preference/Priority Allocation of Game. Some like to talk up the issue using buzz words like, "local food", "my backyard", "Community Harvest" etc.

    In times of shortages, as we are now in, with most road connected areas of the state, would you support a proposal to "Priority Allocate Game to those residing within the Game Management Unit"? e.g. Sheep 14C, those living in the sub-unit would get permits first and any remaining unallocated would go to the pool of applicants residing outside the sub-unit. This proposal would be statewide for ALL permit hunts to include All Species of Big Game and not applicable only to the roaded areas. What I am envisioning, is an extension of the practice, much like is currently being done for Nelchina Caribou, whereas the game is allocated first to local demands and if there are surplus permits, only then would it be opened to those living beyond the borders of the Game Management Sub-Unit, by lottery. What about by Unit, and not restricted to Sub-Unit?

    Note: Tier I & II and General or Registration Antler restriction hunts would not be affected, as they are governed under different laws and restrictions.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I have always believed you should play where you live. If I wanted to hunt sheep I for sure would live in sheep hunting country. For most, new big boy toys is the main thing and that means living where you can make the most money(house,autos,shopping,fast travel etc). I have always made my living needs compare to the area I want to enjoy life and income was way down the list.Those that live in the Brooks all year should have a better chance to hunt the game there than I do with easy winters in Wrangell. I believe now days everyone wants a trophy even if they just show up for one game.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have always believed you should play where you live. If I wanted to hunt sheep I for sure would live in sheep hunting country. For most, new big boy toys is the main thing and that means living where you can make the most money(house,autos,shopping,fast travel etc). I have always made my living needs compare to the area I want to enjoy life and income was way down the list.Those that live in the Brooks all year should have a better chance to hunt the game there than I do with easy winters in Wrangell. I believe now days everyone wants a trophy even if they just show up for one game.

    WOW.....+1, well said. Inbound Greenie thingie.

  4. #4
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Akres, if you are going to start this thread, please begin it with appropriate info. The high numbers of uninformed need a basic understanding of which species and why, are managed for local preferance.
    Example, in most of the state Griz/Brownies are managed as a "trophy" species. Thus, you will rarely see "local preferance" applied. Instead you will see draw hunts.
    So.............lay it out for the average joe on here who has no idea how the state manages.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Dang you sure whacked hornets nest on this one

    I would support local preference over tier II if that is where you are going. I think it should go for the whole GMU not down to a subunit some of them re pretty small. For a general hunt I would not support any preference at least I can't think of a reason to right now.
    Chuck

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •