Thread: Last week of July Salmon - Juneau or Ketchikan?

Default Last week of July Salmon - Juneau or Ketchikan?

Hello, I will be on a cruise to alaska the last week of July. The cruise offers excursions in both Juneau and Ketchikan but which one will be better to fish at? My primary trip will be Salmon (I hope they are running about that time) else I could go for halibut or even trout. I am not a fly fisherman nor am I very fancy. Just catching allot of fish that I could have sent back home or eaten during the day would be great.

All help appreciated!

Not clear to me what is meant by "excursion" - you want to shore fish or go and a 1/2 day/6-pack charter?

In Juneau, it will be early for silvers in saltwater, but the pinks will be in pretty thick. I don't consider ripe humpys to be great table fare myself, but I'm a salmon snob.

Shore casting is pretty good in Juneau - I'd say slightly better than Ketchikan. I think you'd probably catch more salmon boat fishing in D-town.

There are good opportunities for hatchery kings from the shore or dock at DIPAC, but there will be a shipload of chums plugging things up. Saltwater king fishing starts slowing way down at the end of July.

July is an excellent time for halibut in either place. It's the month I concentrate on 'butts.
    Last edited by L. G.; 03-18-2010 at 13:27. Reason: . . .

Oh sorry about the confusion...

When you go on a cruise you can buy their "excursions" Basically it is local vendors that sell services that you purchase from the ship at an inflated rate. I could be a fishing trip, helocopter tour, walking tours, snorkling, all sorts of fun stuff depending on where you on on the cruise.

The good about excursions that you purchase from the ship is that they are guaranteed to not leave you behind if you are late. The bad news is you pay a premium for the service.

So in the case I see some boat fishing tours, some lasting 6 hours with lunch, also I can book a inland flight to a lake but those are more expensive. I was thinking salmon since it is the summer. I would still love to catch rock fish, lings and anything else tasty as well!

Default Call me...

I've ported both those stops and can share some user friendly advice...

Bernard Rosenberg
    941-266-7231
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    I've ported both those stops and can share some user friendly advice...

Bernard Rosenberg
    941-266-7231
    Thanks sir! I will wait to contact you until the missus finishes picking her escurtion. I figure we have three ports (Skagway was another I found out). I told her to pick two ports to do something on, and Ill take the third port for fishing. I am sure all three I can find something biting!

Default Once bitten...

Cruise shore excursions will eat you alive. You can by-pass plenty by dealing directly with the business operators.

When I taxied to and from the airport in Juneau and rented a car, I experienced much of what the town offered. When I taxied back and told the driver what I had done, he informed me that if he has taken me to where I went it would have cost well over a half-grand. I did it all for under ninety bucks.

Skagway is for walking. I made it right through town, on past the old railroad grave yard, and all the way to the cemetary and falls. You can bargain in the Skagway shops with cash dealing direct with the owner if you have the nerve and tact.

Ketchikan is also for walking, it is beautiful town with delightful shops.

Juneau; take your charter and escape the madness. The place is overwhelmed with tourists, though I will say that the greatest collection of retail Alaskan and Inuit art is in the shops to be admired for free...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"