Thread: Lake Trout Recipes

Default Lake Trout Recipes

This thread is in response to a question from Dirtofak on the fishing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Cat out of the bag...... How does Dave prepare Lake trout? Start a new thread please. I will be keeping a couple this year due to culinary indulgence.

KOTW Mike
    Mike
    I call this recipe "Dave's Texas Trout"
    My absolute favorite way to prepare lakers is to BBQ over an open fire, but a gas grill will work in a pinch.
    Fillet your trout with the skins left on and pin bones removed.
    At about 1" apart make 1/4" deep slashes across the fillet.
    Next pour some liquid smoke over the fillet and add spices.
    I use a combination of mesquite smoked salt, hickory smoked salt, spicy mesquite, tex mex, hickory and one other southern spice that I can't recall right now (I'll try to remember when I go home at lunch ).
    When cooking over an open fire I let the wood burn down so it's mostly coals and then place the fillet skin side down on the grill and cover with tinfoil. I use a rock at each corner of the foil to keep it from blowing away.
    Once the fish flakes, serve it up!!
    On a gas grill use medium heat and you don't need the foil.

Another way I like to prepare it is baked in foil with american cheese slices.
    Fillet your trout (deboned and skin off). Using double layered heavy duty tinfoil, spread some margarine or butter on the foil and lay a fillet down, squeeze 1 lemon on the fillet and then cover with american cheese slices (over lapping by 50% to 60%). Next place the other fillet on top but facing in the opposite direction to the first (head to tail) so that both ends are about the same combined thickness. Now to fold the foil packet. Along the length, bring the two edges together and fold over several times until you get down to the fish. Next roll the ends up to the fish. Over medium heat in the BBQ or on an open fire cook about 10 minutes per side and then check to see if the fish is done (flakes (especially the thicker ends)). Serve with taters and beans.

FYI, this will also work in the oven. Place the foil pack on a cookie sheet in a 300* oven and check after 20 minutes for doneness.

Lake trout is very good done in beer batter too.

Default Lake Trout Recipe

1) Catch trout
    2) Clean trout
    3) place whole (gutted) trout on a pre soaked cedar plank
    4) Fill the cavity with butter, garlic, onions, lemon slices and season to taste ( I like a mixture of sea salt, fresh ground white pepper and Mrs. Dash )
    5) Top off the carcass with lemon slices, butter and seasoning and cover with foil
    6) Bake in the oven / on the grill / or over an open fire until the flesh is flakey
    7) Serve with butternut squash ( or your favorite carb: i.e., taters, rice, etc. ) and some nice steamed veggies, and a slab of sourdough bread smothered in honey butter.
    But that's just my opinion

Thumbs up I get hungry...

just reading both of those. Thanks guys!
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Stuff the carcasse lightly with black tea (either bagged or loose), onion, and lemon, and season with a bit of black ground pepper. Wrap in foil and bake at 350-375 or grill by other means, until flakey.
    -----------
    Or...

The northern version of southern-fried fish...

Cut trout fillets into 3" squares (or what ever smaller size shapes you'd prefer), with skin left on.

Do a shake and bake sort of action with ~1/3 corn meal, and 2/3 white or whole wheat flour, seasoned to taste with salt, lots of fresh-ground black pepper, and perhaps onion powder in moderation, if desired. (You can try 50:50 mix with the flour and corn meal if you like, as I tend to approximate my recipes; often times I don't measure much, instead 'eyeing' the correct amounts by memory...)

Fry in notable amount (perhaps 1/4") of HOT canola oil in a skillet until done.

Turn them over once the one side has reached a medium or darker golden brown, and fry the other side to the same or similar color..

If your fish is achieving a medium brown color and the fillets are so thick it would require burning them in order to finish frying them in the oil, take them out of the skillet and lay them on a baking tray (one with a drain rack is even better), and finish baking them in the oven at ~350 until flakey.
    ---------------------
    Some place in these forum pages you'll find my old stand-by recipe for home-made tartar sauce from a couple of years ago. It goes well with either recipe, though lake trout is so tasty by itself that putting sauce on it seems like blasphemy most of the time... though my 6 yr. old disagrees with me about that..

An old fellow at the Lake Louise Lodge about 18 years ago made what was remotely like a tempura batter, heavy on egg, with notable amounts of jalapeno peppers ground up with a food processor or 'power wand' and mixed into the batter. I'm pretty certain he then fried the batter-dipped fillet pieces and fried them similarly to what I described in the southern-fried version.

They were the best lakers I ever ate, and represented his 'reward' to me after observing my previous day's ice-fishing for over 13 or 14 hours at better than -50 f...... I was younger, more optimistic, and a bit more foolish back then, with better circulation, lots of wool and goose down, and a serious penchant for lake trout ice-fishing... Or maybe it was just youthful foolishness

These days we wait 'til wamer weather (like this next week-end, for example), and go elsewhere for notably larger fish, often catching them in the 40"+ range over in the Yukon Territory, fishing with old 'Canajun' friends from over that way.

+30 and warm sunshine beats the daylights out nof -50 and darkness...

Here's the spices and finished product.

Looks great Dave!, but keep them durned brussel sprouts as far away from me as possible. Yucchh!

Thanks Dave! I would rep you but it says I have already made you a millionair.

Brussel Sprouts are great! Needs pepper on the vegies though.... maybe a slice of toasted wheat bread of some kind (maybe garlic). I grew up eating bread with fish.

Thanks!
    Mike