Thread: Where to go day trip?

Default Where to go day trip?

Thanks in advance! Heading to Anchorage in late July and wanted some info on a Kayak trip. We have a car, so anything within 2.5 hours is fine. Would love to see some glaciers or floating ice.

Thanks,

Drive about an hour south to Portage Lake and paddle out to Portage glacier; assuming you have your own kayaks.

Take the train ride out to Spencer glacier and take a guided float up to Spencer glacier.

Paddle around Resurrection bay in Seward; but can't really get to the glaciers without a water taxi and more time committment.

My best DIY paddle was at Valdez to the glaciers; but this is outside your time frame as well.

Default Thanks

Actually I dont mind taking a guided tour and using a water taxi. I just need info on where to go. We do not have our own kayaks.

I would check the regulations on Portage Lake. I don't think you can paddle in the lake, but you can float down the river. Whittier would be the closest. Then take a water taxi out to Blackstone Bay to save time. The cheapest/most convenient place to pay for parking is through Honey Charters. They also operate a water taxi and kayak rentals.

Yes; hbons; is correct. You can no longer paddle on Portage lake due to the dangers associated with the calving portage glacier. There is a boat that will take out to the glacier on portage tho; but unfortunately you are no longer able to paddle it on your own. sorry for my misdirection.

Sounds like Whittier is the best option to do your own paddling.

Thumbs up

The Portage Lake paddling is off limits... however good day tripping floating the creek. So you could take the lake cruise ship out to the glacier, make a short hike to one of two nearby glaciers, then paddle Portage Creek for a few hours.

Spencer glacier paddling is doable... most take train transportation to put in (so inflatable is not out of the question and convenient). You can also float very near to where you parked your car if you paddle down the Placer River (easy day float).

Paddling rentals or guided trips and/or/with Water Taxi options are very good in Whittier (like Blackstone Bay). Can also get into great Fjords by way of fly-out... more spendy, yet saving time to reach more spectacular scenery.

got an email from KCK's list server last week saying the East side of Portage Lake is now open for paddlers. (Or will be as soon as the ice clears) There's a new access that was put in by KCK.org last summer. Not sure where the boundaries are, or if you can get close to the glacier.

Thumbs up Good news Jim

That's good news Jim...

It's one of those road accesses that get a lot (as in most) visitors per year.

The Portage Lake needs to be open for multi-use water-sports as times are different. The valley has seen dynamic changes over past 40 years. Valley/lake emphasis should reflect some more representation of responsible recreational activities.

'Hopefully' - I do not think motor-sports should be included in this. A conservative approach like starting with paddle-sports (sailing or kiting) within a certain (well known) boundary is a good start.

Personally and professionally - I believe the whole lake should be boundary-less for visitors eventually. The Portage Valley has convenient roadside recreational sustainability as long as everything is planned out and scaled responsibly.

Paddling Portage Lake requires that you use some common sense.
    It is only recently it has been "opened" to paddling.
    What could screw it up is if some idiot causes problems for others or gets them self or someone else into trouble or killed.

1. Stay on the north side of the lake.
    2. Keep clear of the tour boat. Do not interfere with its operation in any way.
    3. Do not paddle close to the glacier.

As I said, all it takes is the use of some common sense, then Portage Lake will remain open to all paddlers indefinitely.