Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go a commercial pot fishery in the sound

Default Here we go a commercial pot fishery in the sound

Prince William Sound Pot Shrimp Information

While every effort is made to keep this page current, there may be delays in the posting of web page updates. For the most current announcement/new release information please call our 24-hour recorded-message phone at 907-424-7535 or the Cordova Office at 907-424-3212.
    SELECT GRAPHIC FOR
    WEATHER DETAILS

ADF&G does not endorse the commercial site above but provides
    this link only for current & forecast weather information.
    Issued Wednesday, March 10, 2009

FISHERY ANNOUNCEMENT PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND REGISTRATION AREA E COMMERCIAL SHRIMP POT FISHING SEASON OPENING E.O. 2-SF-E-01-10

The Prince William Sound (PWS) commercial shrimp pot fishing season will open at 8:00 a.m. April 15, 2010 with a 55,000 pound guideline harvest level. Individuals wishing to participate must possess a current P09E or P91E interim use permit card available from the Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission (ph:907-789-6150 or http://www.cfec.state.ak.us/forms/2010) and a superexclusive area vessel registration. Registrations and logbook pages will be available March 15 at ADF&G offices in Homer, Anchorage, and Cordova, and by appointment with the Alaska Wildlife Troopers in Seward and Valdez. Contact the ADF&G office in Cordova to register by fax. The registration deadline for the PWS pot spot shrimp fishery is 5:00 p.m. April 1, 2010. The department will announce on April 5, 2010 the number of shrimp pots that may be operated from a vessel registered for the fishery. The area open to harvest includes waters north of 60° 40.00' N. lat. and east of 148° 00.00' W. long. excluding areas closed to commercial shrimping with pot gear as indicated on the attached map.
    The PWS shrimp pot fishery was last open in 1991. In December 2008, the Board of Fisheries adopted new regulations for this fishery including, gear definitions and marking, as well as logbook and catch reporting requirements. These new regulations and other pertinent regulations are in Chapters 31 and 39 of the 2009-2012 Statewide Commercial Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, and Miscellaneous Shellfish Fishing Regulations book available at department offices in Anchorage, Cordova, and Homer or at http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/regs/cf_regs.php. Prospective fishery participants should thoroughly review the regulatory requirements for this fishery.
    On March 15, the department will post additional information specific to this fishery online at http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...h/shelhom2.php. Contact the ADF&G Cordova office with questions.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I know most folks won't be happy about this, but I take it as a good sign. In a fishery that hasn't been opened since '91, this is a sign that stocks are healthy and there is a surplus of shrimp. That is great news. The quota is low, and this should have little if any effect on the sport take of shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I know most folks won't be happy about this, but I take it as a good sign. In a fishery that hasn't been opened since '91, this is a sign that stocks are healthy and there is a surplus of shrimp. That is great news. The quota is low, and this should have little if any effect on the sport take of shrimp.
    Not only that, now the pot thieves have more to go after!!!

Default pot bandits or subsistence gatherers?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Not only that, now the pot thieves have more to go after!!!
    It will be interesting to see how our illustrious sec of the interior Ken Salazar will view the vermin who steal gear, when he "revisits" the subsistence policy here in Alaska

Wow, now that's a surprise. Unfortunately my favorite shrimping holes are all within the new commercial area.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Wow, now that's a surprise. Unfortunately my favorite shrimping holes are all within the new commercial area.
    Dittos...

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to meet the quota, I’m sure the commercial guys will try to accomplish this as close to port as possible so perhaps we will not see much activity up in some of the bays we like to frequent. It will be disheartening however to travel 50 miles and find one of your favorite shrimp spots saturated with commercial pots.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Steve,
    What's your thoughts on this? have you heard of any of the comercial guys gearing up for this? 55K doesn't seem like alot unless it all comes out of the same area. I'm just curious how many boats will be out opening day.

Hey Steve, are they going to be dragging the bottom for them or using actual pots? If they're dragging for them, then the commercial guys will be stuck primarily out on the open expanses, which should work out okay for us sport guys. If they're using pots (and lots I'm sure), us sport guys had might as well find a new area until the quota is filled.

Hey Steve, are they going to be dragging the bottom for them or using actual pots?
    It will be a pot fishery. The Sound has already had a drag fishery for sidestripe shrimp for many years, with much of the effort being concentrated in Port Wells and Perry Passage. For that fishery, only three boats regularly participate.

I might be wrong, but I don't forsee a huge participation in this. Furthermore, the discussion of pot limits that I heard previously was pretty tight. I can't recall offhand, but I seem to remember something like 50 pots, but it might be less than that. Compare that to the 200+ pots my parents used to run in the 70s and 80s. I doubt you'll see areas "saturated" with pots.

Hey Steve, are they going to be dragging the bottom for them or using actual pots?
    "The Prince William Sound (PWS) commercial shrimp pot fishing season will open at 8:00 a.m. April 15, 2010 with a 55,000 pound guideline harvest level."

I think it is safe to assume that it is pots only.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    "The Prince William Sound (PWS) commercial shrimp pot fishing season will open at 8:00 a.m. April 15, 2010 with a 55,000 pound guideline harvest level."

I think it is safe to assume that it is pots only.

Ha! Dang, way to make me feel good about myself!

55,000lbs might get some people interested. That is roughly 25,000lbs of tails that can be sold at the dock (with the appropriate licenses) for around 10-12lb. A quarter mill in shrimp should get a few guys interested, I would think.

Ha! Dang, way to make me feel good about myself!
    Just playing...someone else would have brought it up, might as well have been me.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It will be a pot fishery. The Sound has already had a drag fishery for sidestripe shrimp for many years, with much of the effort being concentrated in Port Wells and Perry Passage. For that fishery, only three boats regularly participate.

I might be wrong, but I don't forsee a huge participation in this. Furthermore, the discussion of pot limits that I heard previously was pretty tight. I can't recall offhand, but I seem to remember something like 50 pots, but it might be less than that. Compare that to the 200+ pots my parents used to run in the 70s and 80s. I doubt you'll see areas "saturated" with pots.
    According to 5 AAC 31.223 (e)(1), the department will set the number of pots allowed for each commercial vessel, based on pre-season registration requirements if they need to further control the harvest rate and prevent the commercial GHL from being exceeded...but it can be no more than 100 pots per vessel.

Additionally, I agree with Brian: I don't see a whole lot of boats registering (or fishing) for this fishery yet...especially with only 55K pounds available for the harvest.
    Last edited by MRFISH; 03-18-2010 at 15:28. Reason: cleaning up...

I wonder if there will be a pot minimum? Some of us could obtain the proper permits and licenses and participate in the fishery. Just think, you could write off all your expenses during the fishery, load up on shrimp and maybe make a little side cash. I can haul a lot of collapsible pots; with an upgrade to my puller Iíd be able pack a couple large coolers full of tails in a couple of days. I use to commercial long line in resurrection Bay in the early 70s in a 22ft flat bottom wood dory, in eye sight of town; made some good money. If it wasnít such short notice I think a lot more boats would participate, next year Iíll bet participation will be high.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    According to 5 AAC 31.223 (e)(1), the department will set the number of pots allowed for each commercial vessel, based on pre-season registration requirements if they need to further control the harvest rate and prevent the commercial GHL from being exceeded...but it can be no more than 100 pots per vessel.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    55,000lbs might get some people interested. That is roughly 25,000lbs of tails that can be sold at the dock (with the appropriate licenses) for around 10-12lb. A quarter mill in shrimp should get a few guys interested, I would think.
    True, but the up-front gear cost is likely to be substantial. I don't know if the commercial pots will have the same requirements as far as mesh size, etc. that the sport pots do, but if so, folks will need to pour a lot of money into gear to get set up. Some of the folks that fished back in the 80s might still have their old pots sitting around, but if they look like the stack of pots sitting in my parents' back lot, they're probably mostly rusted out and unfishable. This would not be a cheap fishery to participate in, and the upside is fairly minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I wonder if there will be a pot minimum? Some of us could obtain the proper permits and licenses and participate in the fishery. Just think, you could write off all your expenses during the fishery, load up on shrimp and maybe make a little side cash. I can haul a lot of collapsible pots; with an upgrade to my puller Iíd be able pack a couple large coolers full of tails in a couple of days. I use to commercial long line in resurrection Bay in the early 70s in a 22ft flat bottom wood dory, in eye sight of town; made some good money. If it wasnít such short notice I think a lot more boats would participate, next year Iíll bet participation will be high.
    Pot minimum? why would a guy handicap himself by not fishing all the gear allowed?? I think they wrote the regs that if you have a rec permit you can't commercial pot fish and if you have a comm permit you can't rec pot fish. Keeps the double dippers out of it. I'd bet getting all the permits to sell tailed shrimp might be a bit of a PITA.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post

Additionally, I agree with Brian: I don't see a whole lot of boats registering (or fishing) for this fishery yet...especially with only 55K pounds available for the harvest.
    I think they wrote the regs as a 50 pot max and i bet when all the guys in cordova, valdez, seward & whittier sign up the 50 pot limit will be cut back. If a 100 boats sign up that's only a 550lb average per boat. It gonna be over quickly.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Down here several of the shrimpers use the same 36" SS Shrimp pots a lot of the sport guys do. I'm not sure if they had to make an modifications, but they are the same SS frame. In fact, I bought my 37" pots off a commercial shrimper in Sitka that I use for sport shrimping.

My suggestion is that if you like to shrimp, go for it. It'll be fun and you can catch a bunch and do the correct paperwork to keep them for yourself or give to family. Sell what you don't need to pay expenses.

Just make sure you know all the laws and get your paperwork in order before hitting the water. I'm sure the fish cops will be out in full force during that opening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast