Thread: Worth it? Solid tripods - sometimes even on sheep hunts...

Default Worth it? Solid tripods - sometimes even on sheep hunts...

Winter - watched a few hunt DVDs. One thing surprised me, seeing very solid tripod used for spotting scopes, on sheep hunts too (without horses support etc). For better stability, I guess? I thought a lighter weight tripod, maybe with that hook-suspended weight accessory, would be stable enough, but not always so apparently.

Most don't seem to carry these stocky things. I assume these tripods are the spendy, carbon fiber variety, but the carbon fiber tripods I looked up on Manfrotto's website were 7-8kg. Seems like a lot of weight; 15-18#. Good way to spend more time glassing maybe. I guess its the wind that makes something like that worthwhile? High power spotters maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Winter - watched a few hunt DVDs. One thing surprised me, seeing very solid tripod used for spotting scopes, on sheep hunts too (without horses support etc). For better stability, I guess? I thought a lighter weight tripod, maybe with that hook-suspended weight accessory, would be stable enough, but not always so apparently.

Most don't seem to carry these stocky things. I assume these tripods are the spendy, carbon fiber variety, but the carbon fiber tripods I looked up on Manfrotto's website were 7-8kg. Seems like a lot of weight; 15-18#. Good way to spend more time glassing maybe. I guess its the wind that makes something like that worthwhile? High power spotters maybe?
    Tri-pod? Once you go bi, you'll never go back.

Hahahaha.............

I just bought the Vortex STX and RC322 grip head for my Swarovski. It makes a HUGE difference. It's so stable and the grip head is awesome. Head on down and try one out.

If I'm only going to hike a few hundred yards, I'll take this new beast with me on the four wheeler.

If I ever have to go harder, higher, longer, I'll just take my Canon IS 10x42Ls.

I think my new tripod/head is awesome. After suffering jiggly hell with my old cheap tripod, this thing is fantastic. It will NOT be going backpacking with me though!

Good tripods are worth their weight in gold. That is about 4-5 lbs total by the way. I have a Canon dslr set up and a Zeiss Diascope 85 spotter. These items need good legs under them to be anything close to stable. As you suggest, a backpack or similar item is a great counter weight on the hook under these types of tripods. Manfrotto has some decent stuff. Spend in the $150-200 range and you will get a nice tripod. The lighter and more supportive, the more costly of course. Below is a good tripod that won't break the bank (entirely). Suitable for dslr or spotting scope.

This is one of mine. It weight 5 lbs and is a good value.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

This model weighs on 2.9 lbs!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Tripod.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

tripods I looked up on Manfrotto's website were 7-8kg. Seems like a lot of weight; 15-18#. Good way to spend more time glassing maybe. I guess its the wind that makes something like that worthwhile? High power spotters maybe?

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but you do realize that this is the amount of weight that model supports, not what that tripod itself weighs. Nice tripod legs weigh in the 3.5-5.0 lb range themselves.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Finding relief from "...jiggly hell..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    I just bought the Vortex STX and RC322 grip head for my Swarovski. It makes a HUGE difference. It's so stable and the grip head is awesome. Head on down and try one out...
    These pistol grip type heads are interesting - clean, positive function option, though like you said, not for every trip.

Vortex RC322

Default Obviously new to this...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but you do realize that this is the amount of weight that model supports, not what that tripod itself weighs. Nice tripod legs weigh in the 3.5-5.0 lb range themselves.
    Well, yep Dan, that...that changes things. Thanks. The 2.9# tripod you mentioned looks capable enough. So you buy the legs then add the head to these?

Saw a sturdy tripod like these used on a sheep hunt DVD - 3 guys with Super Cubs who established a base camp along rivers, then climbed nearby hills for sheep. Could be they had the tripod for the video camera anyway, and so ended up using it for spotter too.