Thread: DeLorme Earthmate PN40 GPS

Default DeLorme Earthmate PN40 GPS

DeLorme Earthmate PN40 GPS anybody have one ? Do the maps work for up here?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I just bought one last week for work and have it sitting on my desk right now. The base maps work fine, although the 1:100k is only marginally useful with the small screen. I'm working on downloading the 1:24k maps from their website, and those should be better. I really like the fact that it uses SD cards for memory. I can load up the maps on the SD card and then plug it into the unit without messing with cables, etc. The user format is very similar to the Garmin units, so if you have used any of those, you won't have any problem changing over.

Generally my initial take is that it appears to a little more solid unit than the Garmins (of which I have used MANY). It is obviously geared more towards the pro user, and is compatible with a couple of GIS programs. I also really like the fact that I can get a 12V plug-in so I don't have to worry about constantly changing batteries while running on the snowmachine or helicopter. My only real complaint so far is the small screen, but what is there is sharp and easy to see in the daylight.

It's going to start getting heavy field use starting this weekend so it will get tested well this summer.

My favorite part? It's orange. All GPS's should be orange.

Yk

Thanks for the detailed info
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I use a Delorme PN20. Nearly upgraded last week when Amazon had the PN40 on sale for 46% off, though.

I love my Delorme. It works fine for up here, there's map packages for it, you can get a cheap subscription and download unlimited USGS Quad and other type maps. I've had a Magellan and a Garmin before and the Delorme is hands down better than both of them, although it might be a little harder to learn to use up front than the Garmins are.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.