Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATV Registration

Default ATV Registration

I am new to Alaska and was wondering if I have to register my ATV.

Thanks

Yup. Just like snowmachines. They give you a sticker and registration. I think it's 10 buck.

Welcome to Alaska and welcome to the forums!

It's not mandatory though

A snow vehicle is a vehicle propelled by mechanical power, supported in part by ski's, belts, cleats, or low pressure tires and primarily designed to travel over ice and snow. ATVs with low pressure tires may be registered as snow vehicles.

Snowmachines and ATV's are NOT titled in Alaska, however snowmachines are required to be registered unless they are operated solely on private property. A snow vehicle season is from October 1st to September 30th of the second year. The expiration for a snow vehicle obtaining an original registration in Alaska, or registering a snow vehicle that has been expired over one year will be issued a registration for two, four or six years for the current calendar year

This was taken from DMV's website. I was informed that ATV's are required by law to be registered says so a Trooper that stopped me. I know that saying a Trooper may not hold water with some of you but if you read the rules above key words being "low pressure tires" and "primarily designed to travel over ice and snow" I would say he was correct. Here is the link to DMV's site http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages...v/reg/snow.htm
    If you notice at the top it says Snowmachines and ATV's. If this is not correct and you can prove it it would save me $20 every 2 years.

I always thought the law was that you had to register them if you drive in Alaska State Parklands.Like above Anchorage or turnigan pass.

Default Snow Machine Sticker

What is funny is that when you register the ATV, you get a Snow Machine Registration sticker!
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Reg

If you ride on state trails I beleve it is required also good if your ATV gets stolen DMV will have everything on record.
    Alaska

Default Not required

unless you are riding it primarily as a snowmachine. Now, if it were required, we would be able to ride our ATVs anywhere snowmachines are allowed. When the park anger starts walking toward you when you are unloading your ATV with the rest of the snowmachines at Chugach Park, just point to your sticker. (Note: I don't have bail money for you on this) Banks/credit unions like to see the registration as the closest thing to a title they can get. Dealers and the snowmachine clubs like to see ATVs with snaowmachine stickers because it is more money for them to spend on trail grooming (winter only trail grooming that is).
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

For $10 just register it and forget it. If it is ever stolen it makes it easier to trace back to you IF they ever recover it.
    Peyton, Colorado

"Park anger".... I like that! Did you come up with that or was it a convenient typo? I have a statement and a question. First, cops never recover stolen property, registered or not. There's no money in solving crimes, only in making DUI arrests. The only time things are recovered is when they are found in the process of a DUI arrest. Second, we have a state ATV trail system?

That actually was a typo but maybe it had some subliminal origins :-)
    To the best of my knowledge there is no State ATV Trail System. The best the state does is recognize some sections of some trails as RS2477 trails and it can impose easements across state land going into private ownership to preserve public access for existing trails (the Feds can do the same for their land). The Iditarod Trail does have some status as a state trail but as far as I know that is a one off situation.
    A State ATV Trail System may or may not be a good idea depending on how it is implemented and what the effect is on access to other public lands.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I am just curious because I bought my 4 wheeler in Louisiana and I did not get a title and it was not registered. I guess my next question would be do I need a title to register it? I will register it just for the ease of the pain, depending on the title.

Thanks for the help so far.

All you need is a bill of sale or an MSO (manf cert of orgin) and take it to dmv.
    Peyton, Colorado

I appreciate everyone's help. I am going to try and contact the person that I bought it from and try and get the bill of sale. Is there any way around not having a bill of sale?

Thanks

Only if they transferred you the MSO which is sort of like a title from the company who made it.
    Peyton, Colorado

Cool Registration

Some states actually allow ATV's and snow machines to be registered and operated on vehicular right of ways. I don't know what these states use as titles but I would suspect the Manufactures Certificate of Origin. I have personally riden a street legal snowmachine in Montana and been stopped by Sherriff riding a snow machine and radaring in Yellowstone NP. I haven't ridden an ATV or a snowmachine in Alaska though.

The person that runs the local DMV in Trapper Creek told me , Not to register my atv's they said it's not madatory it's just a way for the state to make more money. They said if people start registering them then it might become law like with snowmachines.

Some of you are saying yes and some are saying no, what is it for sure? I have two ATV's that I was going to register tomorrow until I started reading the fine print on the DMV page.

"ATVs with low pressure tires may be registered as snow vehicles." It states "may" not must?

"snowmachines are required to be registered" but it does not say that ATV's must be anywhere on the site.

"primarily designed to travel over ice and snow". I travel over dirt, mud and rocks.

Do we need to register or not? I want to see where it is required by law.

Thanks

dmv site is at http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/snow.htm

You DO NOT have to register them. But you are welcome to throw your money away by believing the people on this thread who say you have to register. DMV will gladly take your money and smile.

I bought a snowmoblie from a buddy who was moving and forgot to get a bill of sale. when i went to register it at the dmv in eagle river the clerk just told me to put "no bill of sale . Bought at yard sale."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast