Thread: SPOT Upgrade Program

Default SPOT Upgrade Program

So apparently the SPOT 2 is now a functional unit and they've completed the recall and replacement on the first batch they sold. Now the program that was promised back in November is online for upgrading your original SPOT to the new SPOT 2.

Not nearly as good a deal as I was hoping they would offer. If you add a SPOT 2 and keep your original functional, you get $50 off the first year subscription of the new unit. If you exchange your old SPOT for a new one, you get $25 off the purchase of the new one and are left with a non-functional old one (no, they don't actually want to "exchange" it, just transfer your service over).

Oh, and the savings are actually rebates that you have to apply for and wait for them to pay you back after you front the full price to buy and activate the new unit first.

Details... http://www.findmespot.com/upgrade/
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Looks like I'll be sticking with my original unit. Not such a sweet offer at all.

I got a SPOT 2 for christmas from my wife. I just got it back from SPOT after the recall a couple weeks ago. I think she got the only SPOT 2 in the Fairbanks area. I'll try it out in April/May down in Kodiak.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I wasn't to impressed with that offer either, I'll be sticking to the original also.

Other than the slightly smaller size is there any advantage to the SPOT 2?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

as far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that SPOT 2 is smaller and you get an extra message button so you can send a different message. My wife bought me a SPOT 2 for christmas and i just got it back from SPOT after the recall so I still haven't activated it yet.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

spot2 has covers over the help and emergency buttons too I think...I'd get one but not for that deal

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    spot2 has covers over the help and emergency buttons too I think...I'd get one but not for that deal
    Yes, it has that also. It comes with two on it to cover the SOS and help button and comes with two extras, i guess in case you lose one or it breaks off. I'll take pics of mine tonight with everything it came with and put it on here if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Yes, it has that also. It comes with two on it to cover the SOS and help button and comes with two extras, i guess in case you lose one or it breaks off. I'll take pics of mine tonight with everything it came with and put it on here if you'd like.
    Sounds good, thanks.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Pictures, features, and everything else you want to know about SPOT 2 can be found right here...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

The short summary is that it is a little smaller, has the ability to send an additional custom message (call it 2 check in functions, a help function and the 911 function), and the batteries only last about a third of the time that they do with the old SPOT.

Oh yeah, and it costs $150, but you can get a $25 rebate if you transfer your service over from your SPOT 1.

The SPOT 1 is still selling for $50 at online vendors with the 1/2 price rebate offer running through the rest of March. After that, it sounds like the SPOT 1 may become an obsolete unit as it goes out of production.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

didn't they also do something to improve the LED indicators so it was more 'clear' whether messages were sent or not?

that's odd about the batteries...better GPS? more powerful transmitter? If it was something like that you'd think they'd be advertising the advance...same basic unit but 1/3 less battery life???

It uses smaller AAA batteries. The original Spot uses AA. That's almost a deal killer for me. I almost always bring along extra AA batteries, but to have to bring AAA too? Twice as many? ---- I don't think so. I don't need it that small.

I thought I read that the Spot II uses an improved GPS module that is faster and more reliable.

Default pics for Vance

OK Vance, sorry I didn't get these on yesterday. It comes with two extra covers for the SOS and help buttons, an extra gasket to keep it waterproof, and an arm strap with a D-ring. The arm strap also has velcro on the back so you can take the strap off and just velcro it to something. You can see this one has an extra LED for sending messages the track button, OK button and a separate message button.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ill stick to Spot I for now. I have no real complaints. Its worked every time Ive used it.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    You can see this one has an extra LED for sending messages
    I only see 2 LED indicators. That's the same as the original SPOT. The only difference I see is that secondary check-in message. The original SPOT deals with both check-in and tracking using the same button (momentary push starts a check-in, hold the button down for 5 seconds until the LED blinks and you've started tracking).

The reduced battery life and use of AAA batteries is also a big negative in my book.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Total Cost?

interesting I almost bought an new canoe at SW today with the selling factor being a free Spot thrown in, but the salesman mentioned the "subscription cost" of these units?

Do you have to pay a monthly or other subscript for this service?

What's the story on these? i already have an Epirb or two to bring along but i see there are advantages to this Spot thing but at what "Total Cost?"

There are a dozen threads that cover all those topics in complete detail, but I'll post it again here. Figured for monthly (though you are billed annually), the SPOT costs between $8.25 and $13.42 per month to own and operate.

Here is the short version...

Annual subscription to Basic service costs $100, payable on renewal once a year. This is mandatory and allows you to send check in messages, help messages, and access the 911 request.

You can add the Tracking function to the basic subscription for another $50 per year. This allows you to have near real-time monitoring of your position. While engaged, the unit sends your current position every 10 minutes. Anyone you want to have access to that info can then monitor your location on a Google map. Each point is saved for 30 days in your SPOT account and you can go back and look at your track afterward. You can also download the tracklog to a local file for preservation.

You can add rescue insurance for $13 per year. It will pay up to $50,000 toward the search & rescue costs to go pluck you out of the hands of death if you use the SPOT 911 feature to request emergency help. You can use this insurance up to twice per year for a maximum coverage of $100,000.

There are some fancy new coverages for roadside and maritime assist. They don't work in Alaska as they are intended for the wannabe adventurers that travel on freeways or coastal waterways down in America. Additionally, when you buy into one of these coverages, you lose the user flexible functionality of the "help" button on the SPOT. I fully recommend against them.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default I did it

I fought with it and the inspector gaget in me got the best of me and I ordered the new one for my up comming trip with my daughter. I may set it up and post the link for members to see our progress. Will let everyone know what I think of the new one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    interesting I almost bought an new canoe at SW today with the selling factor being a free Spot thrown in, but the salesman mentioned the "subscription cost" of these units?

Do you have to pay a monthly or other subscript for this service?

What's the story on these? i already have an Epirb or two to bring along but i see there are advantages to this Spot thing but at what "Total Cost?"
    99.00 per year

plus extratracking fee

plus resucue insurance

plus a few other things is why we bought them

in all my activation came to about 180.00 for the year
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here