Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby

Default Newby

Just wanted to say hello and express my appreciation on what a great tool and knowledge base these forums are. I just got to Alaska in August via the military but, it has been my life-long dream to come here. I have been hunting Whitetails and Turkey since I was a little boy. I have quickly realized that hunting here is a whole different ballgame Anyways, is it possible to be successful without the ability to pay big $, no plane etc.? My problem is that I have not really had any luck on finding people on Elmendorf that is a hard core hunter as I am. And one thing I defiantly will not do from reading books and this forum is not attempt to go out solo. Anyways hope that I can gain a lot more knowledge from this site (think I have spent 8 hrs reading the last 2 days) and meet some people that will give me some pointers and possibly get the chance to get some hunting partners.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gristec View Post
    Anyways, is it possible to be successful without the ability to pay big $, no plane etc.?

Chris
    Yes Chris, it is possible to be successful on a budget. My first word of advice would be to expand your list of target animals beyond moose if you haven't already. I know moose are the quintessential Alaskan game animal, but finding a legal one off the road system can be difficult, and dealing with one once you kill one is even more difficult. Personally, I'd start with black bear and go from there. If you're willing to hike and put some time in, you should be able to find success. I can't promise to go along with you since I've got a little one on the way this summer, but I'd be happy to sit down with you over coffee or a beer to discuss ideas.

Anyhow, welcome aboard!

Default i agree...

i agree with brian 100 percent, with emphasis on putting the work in, and looking beyond moose. seeing a dead moose laying beside the pack frame its GOTTA get on to come out is a humbling sight for the first timer. theres lots of walk in hunting in alaska off the road system or via jet/prop boat. i guess the first thing i'd do is get out and hike alot, camp as much as possible...get comfortable in the woods...learn some basic survival skills...accumulate GOOD gear...read the regs...learn about and obeserve our game animals, and go hunting. i couldnt imagine why "solo" would be shunned so quickly...theres alot a difference between a fourteen day solo sheep hunt, and a solo day hunt for black bear on your local berry hill. if ya cant find a partner then GO HUNTING, the alternative is not hunting, and that sucks right? welcome to alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    get out and hike alot, camp as much as possible...get comfortable in the woods...learn some basic survival skills...accumulate GOOD gear...read the regs...learn about and obeserve our game animals, and go hunting.
    exactly. hunting is mostly about survival. and being comfortable in the woods (tundra, etc.) the killing animals part comes on down the road in most cases. even when you are with other people you are solo hunting, in a sense. so i would recommend getting comfortable solo camping a bit. there is a lot to figure out regarding Good Gear. Take your time buying stuff and don't purchase expensive crap. that's my recommendation. I don't think I own much that gear that is hunting specific except my knives. and those aren't necessarily the most expensive ones out there.

definitely small game is an ample starting point. but just camping i have found to be essential training. With respect to gear, general advise is no gimics, simple in design and simple to fix, durable, and LIGHT.

did i mention comfort is key? Fighting Alaska weather and terrain conditions is most of the battle.

Ninefoot, you really have to try another font.

Thumbs up Hey...

I'm on Elmendorf too...shoot me a pm with name and where you work...

Oh, and I agree with the font remark...letters seem to blend together...like looking through Tasco binos for a couple hours...Times Roman seems like Swarovski's comparably...

AZinAK

Lots of good advice... don't dismiss solo outright although a partner is a good idea. I've had a mixed bag on hunting partners over the years...some good and some not so good. Nothing will ruin a trip like a partner not putting in his share.

I'd suggest you help a buddy or three on moose first. Lots of time the desire to bag one just evaporates right there.

Black bears are a great species to hunt from the road system and manageble by yourself if you just gotta. I won't knock road system hunting a bit- walk a mile and you might as well be on Mars most of the time. Seems if you're hardcore enough to hike a mile you can about have a place all to yourself- at least in the Interior.

Also give predator calling a shot- that's become a real favorite of mine lately since in my location its a doable hunt on short notice with limited time.

I'll also parrot what some other folks have said- a big part of it is just getting out there- hiking, camping, biking, skiing whatever, its all good. Don't be a gear head- you can literally spend yourself into oblivion and not have it all. Get good stuff and buy quality but buyer beware- a lot of this stuff is not what its cracked up to be.

Getting the animal can come later.

Default my bad...

sorry about the font guys. i got er covered.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I can tell that there is a lot of Alaska hunting experience here so it is much appreciated. I have been here since August of 09, and with in a week of being here I was camping and did so till it got to cold. I have gotten the oppurtunity to do some exploring. And also, believe me I don't want to just hunt moose, I want to hunt everything! I would say my life long dream is to take a bear with my bow...but, going to learn the animals first with guns.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    i agree with brian 100 percent, with emphasis on putting the work in, and looking beyond moose. seeing a dead moose laying beside the pack frame its GOTTA get on to come out is a humbling sight for the first timer. theres lots of walk in hunting in alaska off the road system or via jet/prop boat. i guess the first thing i'd do is get out and hike alot, camp as much as possible...get comfortable in the woods...learn some basic survival skills...accumulate GOOD gear...read the regs...learn about and obeserve our game animals, and go hunting. i couldnt imagine why "solo" would be shunned so quickly...theres alot a difference between a fourteen day solo sheep hunt, and a solo day hunt for black bear on your local berry hill. if ya cant find a partner then GO HUNTING, the alternative is not hunting, and that sucks right? welcome to alaska.
    Font?...I didn't see anything wrong with your font!!

-it actually enabled me to get by with one less cup of coffee, this morning!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by gristec View Post
    Just wanted to say hello and express my appreciation on what a great tool and knowledge base these forums are. I just got to Alaska in August via the military but, it has been my life-long dream to come here. I have been hunting Whitetails and Turkey since I was a little boy. I have quickly realized that hunting here is a whole different ballgame Anyways, is it possible to be successful without the ability to pay big $, no plane etc.? My problem is that I have not really had any luck on finding people on Elmendorf that is a hard core hunter as I am. And one thing I defiantly will not do from reading books and this forum is not attempt to go out solo. Anyways hope that I can gain a lot more knowledge from this site (think I have spent 8 hrs reading the last 2 days) and meet some people that will give me some pointers and possibly get the chance to get some hunting partners.

Chris
    ...glad you're up here in the Great Land...and, welcome to the forums!

I agree, black bear from the road system would be a great choice and opportunity to start hunting!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

tim jones

Default check the regs

There are limitations on what you can hunt until you have lived in Alaska for 365 days

The Troopers (in my opinion) are not too forgiving about violations

The regs are long and (again in my opinion) sometimes confusing

read them good...and remember not all the regulations are in the free handout

good luck

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim jones View Post
    There are limitations on what you can hunt until you have lived in Alaska for 365 days

The Troopers (in my opinion) are not too forgiving about violations

The regs are long and (again in my opinion) sometimes confusing

read them good...and remember not all the regulations are in the free handout

good luck

Tim
    No worries there, I had to do a year in Korea before I was stationed here so I moved my family here before I went and the first thing I did here was become a resident, so I have been one for well over a year.

tim jones

Default i still would be careful

the troopers will run your (hunting) license against when YOU signed into base

I understand your family has been here but I 'm pretty sure the regs state "physically present" in the state

I could be wrong...maybe another member could correct me

but if I'm right the Troopers will not be understanding

take care and good hunting

Tim

Default Doesn't have to cost

Sounds like you know how to get started pretty well (asking around and reading up on the locals stories) and as you are a Deer and Turkey guy from way back I think you are ready to go.

As far as the thousand dollar hunts you read about on here, it doesn't have to be that expensive to get to a lot of good hunting with your own rig. Assuming you have a car or truck I'd say jump on the road drive north out of town for small game, or get to the Ferry system to access either Kodiak Island or Prince William Sound,

Then grab your rifle, tent and gear and Go Hunt

Cost $150 one way Homer to Kodiak for car and driver, and with all the registration hunts available (check the regs in detail, there are a LOT of opportunities around the coastal areas) and good bag limits for Deer, Fox, Wolf, Black Bear, on and on not even mentioning small game.

The only difference is that Alaska can kill you easier than down south but if you know that and stay cool I think you can hunt alone with great success.

Don't wait to find someone, just take your preparation with you and get out there, you'll probably meet some cool people in the process to hunt with next time

Only thing I would recommend budgeting for soon is some kind of high quality small boat that can do rivers and ocean close to shore, like a Zodiac for example, The Water is a key to a lot of hunting and cost of gas is low versus the floatplane thing

Default Chris

Shoot me a PM and we can see what your wanting to hunt etc. I am at Elmendorf as well and i tend to hunt more than most people i know, so that we have in common....
    David

Default On the residency thing..

If you are military the one year requirement is waived for everything except, brown bear, sheep and i think goats.. Everything else you can hunt under the military exemption without being here a year... Always double check but thats the latest word i got...

David

Quote Originally Posted by tim jones View Post
    the troopers will run your (hunting) license against when YOU signed into base

Tim
    Wow, did not know that. I just don't know how they would be able to see when I signed into base. They would have to call my command section to get that info. Anyhow, I am covered by the military thing and before I am rdy for a brownie I will be here physically for a year anyways. Thanks for the heads up.

What did you do to become a resident???? I know two military members who got busted exactly the way Tim is explaining. They bought resident hunting license here, because they were here for 12 months, but not the REQUIRED 365 days. The troopers told them both that they had ran their hunting license against when they signed into post. Needless to say, one guy lost his caribou meat and antlers to the troopers. Just be careful and make sure you research the regs...if in doubt, call ADF&G or the Alaska Wildlife Troopers. Their number is on page 4 of the hunting regs.

As to what MD is talking about, read page 11 in the hunting regs. It's in the yellow box. You can get a nonresident military tag at resident pricing, but will still have to buy tags for brown bear and muskox at the resident rate, which is the same amount as it would be for nonresident military.

Hmm, not sure if that helped any, but maybe it did. Best thing I can say is to call the Wildlife Troopers. My husband will call them to clarify regs if he has any doubt. He says "it's better to call and ask even though I'm sure I know the answer, than to get busted doing the wrong thing. This is one state I do not want to get busted in!"

Unhappy

OK, I read the reg again and I think I am good based of this.

Per AS 16.05.415(b): A person who establishes residency in the state in accordance with the residency provision above remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person (1) establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country; or (2) performs an act, or is absent under circumstances, that are inconsistent with the intent required under the residency provision above.

I established my residency in August 2008 when I moved my family here from Texas. I was here for a month then and another month in May 09. I then arrived back here permantly in August 2009. I am still going to call and check but, I bought a license this past August and the guy selling it to me said I was good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast