Thread: Hard drive Backups?

Default Hard drive Backups?

Curious as to what you backup your photos to. I've switch to using a mac for my comp. and now I need to find a hard drive backup.

Pretty much any external HD. They have dropped in price to the point where you can pick up a TB external for $150.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Hard drives are pretty cheap these days. You can buy USB drives at Sam's
    Club, Walmart, etc. , or you can oder some directly from Apple. For example, I bought a 1TB Wester Digital for $179.00 at the Apple Store. I could have bought it a little cheaper, but since Apple ships free I don't have to pay shipping. This drive is a WD My Book Studio. It's a little more expensive than a USB drive, because it also has a Firewire port (USB/Firewire). A USB drive alone would have been around $150.00 or cheaper. The WD comes formatted for Mac, so it's pretty much plug and play.

However, any drive that's formatted to PC can be used on a Mac. Just format it using Disk Utility (found in the Applications Folder, in the Utilities folder).

Keep in mind that new Macs use Firewire 800. You can use a Firewire 400, but only with a Firewire 800 to 400 cable. How new is your Mac?

I haven't kept up with MAC in recent years... are they capable of RAID drives? That solves all HD failure issues as you have 2 (or more in server apps) identical hard drives that mirror image each other continuously. If one fails, you have a full and instant backup already in the computer.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I haven't kept up with MAC in recent years... are they capable of RAID drives? That solves all HD failure issues as you have 2 (or more in server apps) identical hard drives that mirror image each other continuously. If one fails, you have a full and instant backup already in the computer.
    walmart has the 1TB for $103.00 (Western Digital)

If you want to get serious about backing your stuff up, the Drobo's are a pretty good way to go....just google Drobo to get info...you can mirror or raid across up to 8 drives of your choosing, any size/brand configuration...you can get the 1TB internal hard drives for about $90 each at Best Buy, cheaper online...so for $700 retail you can have about 6TB of space...again, a lot cheaper online...if a drive fails, just pull it out and pop in a new one and the unit rebuilds the raid array all the while you can still use the drives...really makes it simple for the end user...and yes, they work on MAC's

popularity of online backups is growing too....downside is you have to upload the data, and if you have a lot then it could be a real pain in the butt...

In addition to the Drobo I also copy all my stuff to the externals for another copy...I had one very bad experience with over 1TB of data on one drive..I'm now setup to never have to go through that again....on my desktop there is the Drobo with 4TB(4x1TB), 5 externals @ 1TB each, 1 external @ 1.5TB, and a few other misc externals ranging from 320GB to 500BG....

backup devices are quite cheap compared to losing important/precious data...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

also the mac makes a program called file maker that comes with there computers unit that lets you make up photo files as it need ..

the one thing sold me on a going to a mac from a pc was the mac has less virus and other problems as a pc along with my computer just had to be taken in and debug because of the anti virus software failed big time ..

I was at Sam's Club recently, and there were several hard drives on display, including WD ones. A WD 1TB USB hard drive (for PC or Mac) costs $90.00, and $150.00 for a 2TB one.