Thread: Boat Builders...Why is it that??????

Default Boat Builders...Why is it that??????

hi all, Why is that some boat dealers/ builders find the need to trash
    other boats??....too me, it is Very unproffesional, and frankly leaves
    a big, ugly taste in my mouth!!!..how can one boat-- built with the
    same metals/thickness as the 2nd boat become a tin yacht?....we are in the process of looking to buy/build a 26-29 footer pilot house type boat--now, i
    admit, my experince in the finer designs is very limitied, but unless
    i take courses in boat building/architect/welding(and acually watch
    the welder and test his welds, and see his past expereince) to figure
    out what the heck makes one a tin yacht, and the other one NOT a tin
    yacht, i am sunk!!(pun intended)!!....

Now having said that, i "have" a tin yacht, it is a 18 footer alumarine with a 60/40 jet...that i can understand and can except my limitations with that boat!!

anyhow, i dont know if this is just a rant, vent or a real question to
    you guys!!...thanks larry

I've never met a boat builder that wasn't quirky. Most of them are just down right socially inept. I have never had a pleasant experience w/ a boat builder and I've personally requisitioned the construction of 5 different boats.The sad truth, they are a necessary evil

Question Builders

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I've never met a boat builder that wasn't quirky. Most of them are just down right socially inept. I have never had a pleasant experience w/ a boat builder and I've personally requisitioned the construction of 5 different boats.The sad truth, they are a necessary evil
    Are any of those builders still in business??

Default I beg to differ!

I can tell you that my boat builder, Bay Welding, was a joy to work with. Allen and Eric Engebretsen (father/son owners) we absolute gentlemen, all the time.
    They listened to every concern I had, answered every stupid question, and went the extra yard to help me out, long distance.

And I never heard a single bad comment about other boats.

BTW, they have a 25.5 foot cuddy for sale, total of 60 hours on the engine, for $105k. Here's their website and contact info...

Quote Originally Posted by FISHHOGG View Post
    Are any of those builders still in business??
    funny you should ask..3 of them are but under different names, 2 of them are on their 3rd name. One of them lives in Cordova and has built over 90 gillnetters. He's a magician w/ fiberglass. I'm one of the few guys he has built a boat for that he hasn't got a restraining order on. LOL! The last guy that built me a boat, last winter in Bellingham (aluminum) built 6, mine was 1st, fortunately i got mine out of the shop. Then there is Little Hoquium, LeClercq/Delta, Marco I could go on and on, Guys had 750k seiners half built sitting there w/ the warehouse chained up no trespassing Us marshal, IRS etc. Theres some horror stories out there, if you have a boat builder thats in business and actually normal, PM me I need to get to know this guy! Wait! from what I can see Charlie Reynolds in Anchorage seems to have his s**t together... Reynolds Marine (formerly Grayling, Perragrine,and Sea State One) lol

Default atec

atec in kenai is the place to go...

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    Why is that some boat dealers find the need to trash other boats?
    Why do people who ride a particular brand of snowmachine trash the other 3 brands?

Why do people who drive a particular make of auto trash the other 2 brands?

This list can go on forever.

After you've repaired hundreds or thousands of the "other" boats, you understand what is wrong with them and can point out which boats don't fit into which applications. How that information comes across is a personality issue of the person you are talking to. I know boat builders who will give you a scientific evaluation of the "bad" boats without calling their builder's mother any names. And there are a few who start out by trashing the other builder first and never really give you the skinny on why the boat itself isn't up to snuff.

The fact remains that no 2 boats are equal and there are considerable differences between manufacturers from construction details to the overall design. Just being a certain length and hull thickness means nothing to how well the boat will work or how durable it will be.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Why do people who ride a particular brand of snowmachine trash the other 3 brands?

Why do people who drive a particular make of auto trash the other 2 brands?

This list can go on forever.
    I think JOAT is on the right track here. I have noticed this as well with asking for boat advice. I am sure there are many good manufactures that offer slightly different products. Some higher quality, some higher value for what you get.

Given there are multiple good builders, then I think it is just human nature to say whatever someone buys is the best. For the builders themselves, this polarization is even worse. Often in the past they have competed head to head with other manufactures and may have some hard feelings towards them based on past experience. I know in my own business (not boat related) this is something that we need to be vigilant about that our employees don't bash the competition. Whens someone asks you how you are different from the competition, it can be tough to answer in a positive manner.

The bottom line is that you (Larry - bcriverhunter) choose a builder that you are happy with, and that the build process is a positive experience for you. I am sure that you have spoken with enough owners at this point to see that there are a handful of builders where you would be highly likely to have a good experience, and there are some that there is a chance that you will end up with a bad taste in your mouth. You are doing a lot of research, which I think is the way to go so that you end up with a product that is right for you.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I think JRogers nailed it. There are so many good builders out there. You have to be 100% sure on who you are dealing with. Not so much 100% sure on your design (because trust me it will change during the process), but 100% sure in you being able to trust the person you are giving your deposit or payments will make good on it. Being in a family or small business myself, you are only as good as your product and only as good as your ability to stand by what you make. This is what's scary about handing someone $100,000 or $300,000 of your money for building a boat. When we decided to build a boat we knew exactly what we wanted in a boat. It's really hard in a 28'-36' boat to get everything " you want" so you are going to have to make some sacrifices. The building process is so much fun because the boat is yours and unique to you and your family. Good luck with your build and let it be a great experience in your life.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The bottom line is that you (Larry - bcriverhunter) choose a builder that you are happy with, and that the build process is a positive experience for you.
    hi guys,,thanks for all the fine words, advice!...funny JOAT, after my talk
    to one of the builders,
    I told my wife it reminded me off the trash talk at work( you know
    when you get 5-6 guys in a room ) about all the truck models
    available,
    and how each person was very "sure" their truck was the
    "best!!"....usually when this happens i just usually just
    get up and leave!!!..but in the end, you guys are right.... it's up to
    us to decide what is right, and at most it will be a comprimise and
    (hopefully)
    be an informed decison with what we can afford and live
    with!!!...then my wife(who i love dearly) said...

"Larry, people would LOVE to have your problems"!!!....

And with that, I guess I have just try to settle in and try to enjoy
    this whole process, and live for that first day on the water with the
    new boat!!

Ya know, i think i have just made up mind who gets the
    build!!...thanks agian larry

Default my last go around

This is what caused the last ulcer
    had to include the dash its my pride and joy I love zolotone paint!

hey I just noticed the date, exactly a year ago today, march 18th in Bellingham and its friggn golf weather!!! ( I just looked out the window here in wasilla, remind me why I live here in the winter again?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

If your prospective builder has the need to trash other builders, find another builder.
    A good boat builders (or any other craftsman for that matter) work will speak for itself. Talk to other owners, thats my motto.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default Not going to mention a name

Even the best has someone out there that got a bad taste, one of the Super Builders in Anchorage too.
    Take for example a friend who spent $60k+ on a brand new aluminum custom built boat. Seems a bolt was left out in the transom motor mount and it got below the water line, sank the boat while he was eating lunch.

Oh Oh wasn't our fault!

Cool

As a builder for 17 years I take alot of pride in my work. I believe it would be the same for any builder.Our product is a refection of ourselves.I wish I could talk to more builders but we seem to stick to ourselves for some reason

Default Bay Welding @ Sportsmans Show

Here's that used 25.5 foot Bay Weld (the "Silver C") I spoke about in an earlier post. It's got 60 hours on the main engine, has an onboard head, and $105k price tag. Eric and Allen are bringing it to the Sportsman Show in Anchorage in 2 weeks...

I think you'll find boat builders are a passionate lot, if they didn't have that passion they'd be in a more sensible perhaps fiscally more rewarding field. And when you deal with passionate people, they hold very strong opinions, and freely express them.

But if I was personally dealing with a company that was bashing the competitors, I'd strongly re-consider dealing with them. That to me shows some serious lack of confidence in themselves and their boats if they have to bash the competition. A good design and good builders will stand on their own and have as much work as they can handle.

I only deal with the most fickle of builders, myself

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A good design and good builders will stand on their own and have as much work as they can handle.
    Hi Paul, i just recently asked a builder to tell me what made HIS boat "that much diffenence than the others" after bashing a certain brand...i told him to be as technical as can be, in describing HIS hull and welds/design!...all i got was more of the same about how much HE cares about His boat, absoulutly nothing else!....so i guess no other builder cares about their boats except him....anyway, i am done talking with these guys, found my builder---if the test drive goes well in a few weeks, i will be getting the 29' wooly pilot house...thanks larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    Hi Paul, i just recently asked a builder to tell me what made HIS boat "that much diffenence than the others" after bashing a certain brand...i told him to be as technical as can be, in describing HIS hull and welds/design!...all i got was more of the same about how much HE cares about His boat, absoulutly nothing else!....so i guess no other builder cares about their boats except him....anyway, i am done talking with these guys, found my builder---if the test drive goes well in a few weeks, i will be getting the 29' wooly pilot house...thanks larry
    Glen is top notch, I have an older 93' wooly 17'6" AK and I called them to discuss some repairs they had done on the boat a couple years ago. He remembered the boat and told me exactly what they had done and assured me that the hull was in excellent shape (better than new). The level of customer service I got regarding a USED boat was awesome! Now I just need to see what tjm and Glen come up with on the new sport-jet version!

If you decide to have a boat built do just like you would a house. Have the contract written up for progression payments. Play it safe and have an attorney review your contract before you proceed.