Thread: Lots of help please..

Default Lots of help please..

My son is transferring to Anchorage U. next fall. We are road tripping his truck leaving Minnesota to Wash. on May 26. Taking the ferry to Haines and then driving to Anch.
    It looks like its king or haibut fishing that time of year? What type of equipment would we need for shore fishing for kings? Never been up there before so we have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.
    We will be there around the 2nd of June and I'm flying back on the 7th.
    He is staying about 25mi north of Anch.

Thanks,
    Ron

You can buy everything you need in the local Walmart, B&J, Sportmans Warehouse. Soldotna has a Trustworthy Hardware. Good to ask question and be prepared to buy what you need.

From June 2-7 your best bet is gonna be Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage to catch a King from Shore. Look up the tide charts online and fish the incomming thru outgoing tides. Ship creek is only open from 6 am to 11pm for fishing. You will know you're in the right spot because it will be packed with fisherman. When I first got up here my friend got me a book called "Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It contains info for regular tackle as well as flyfishing and covers the majority of Alaska. This would be a good investment for your son if he plans to do a lot of fishing up here.

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    From June 2-7 your best bet is gonna be Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage to catch a King from Shore. Look up the tide charts online and fish the incomming thru outgoing tides. Ship creek is only open from 6 am to 11pm for fishing. You will know you're in the right spot because it will be packed with fisherman. When I first got up here my friend got me a book called "Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It contains info for regular tackle as well as flyfishing and covers the majority of Alaska. This would be a good investment for your son if he plans to do a lot of fishing up here.
    That is the spot I figured would be easiest.
    Do people fish for Kings with spinning or casting tackle? We arent big fly fishermen. Probably not the spot and time to learn.
    Size of rod&reel, line, and lures needed would be helpful. I would rather bring the stuff from here, then spend time shopping up there.

Is it better to fish eddys, main current or some other type of spot on a river. I'm sure we will notice right away where the better fishing is by the anount of people. We may take a road trip to a river/creek further away to try and get away from the crowds if possible.

I will be doing more research on it. Thanks for the help so far.
    Last edited by RonZych; 03-18-2010 at 10:23. Reason: add

I'm no expert by any means, only really been fishing for 2 years, but I did manage to land 2 kings out of Ship Creek last year. Both were caught on a #5 blue vibrax (will probably stick to a size 6 this year). I would generally fish from 2 - 2.5 hours before and 1-2 hours after the high tide. Pretty much would fish from the time the flippers were out of the water till they got back in. Never flipped down there so can give no advice there.

As for casting during the incoming/outgoing I fished exclusively between the road bridge and rail bridge. Just chuck the vibrax out as far as you can and slow retrieve, you want to bounce it along the bottom. I use a Medium/Heavy action rod and I used 50# braid on a spinning reel.

You may also want to consider a short drive north to the Eklutna Tailrace. Think plunking with roe or shrimp is the method of choice there but I haven't fished it for kings, plan to give it a go this year though so I'll be learning the ropes.

I would guess you could get everything you'd need for $150ish from any of the local outfitters, I would highly recommend staying away from the "Salmon Rod Combos" that they sell around here though. Buddy got one last year and it broke his first time out. I use an ugly stick rod and was using one of the lower end okuma avenger reels last year think it was about a $35.00 reel. Got me a slightly better Pflueger for this year, can't wait to break it in. =D

Buy your son a copy of the Highway Angler:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...&products_id=3

Has lots of information about fishing the road system.

Default great post

You hit it all on the head. I fish Ship just like you do. I also use an Okuma spinning reel, and I have mine on a lamiglass rod for 50lb line. I use mono instead of braid though. Ship is crowded and tangles can be common. It SUCKS to get tangled with somone who is using braided line, and won't cut their line.

Beyond that your answer was awesome. I also put various size split shots above my Vibrax sometimes to get it lower if I need to.

Ron just keep asking Questions. I'm sure someone would be willing to show you where to fish, and what they fished with. I hit Ship creek about 3 times a week depending on what time the tides are, and sometimes fish it every day of the week.

Good luck!! Mashesta congrats on the two kings!! It took me years to catch my fist king from shore, and you gave great advice. Thanks.

I received a great offer from a local guide/resort owner @ Kenai.
    I already have a 8ft ugly stick with a big spiinning real for catfishing. I think that should work.

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by RonZych; 03-19-2010 at 06:19. Reason: editing

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    It SUCKS to get tangled with somone who is using braided line, and won't cut their line.

Very true, tangles in braid SUCK. Think I only got tangled once or twice with it though and knowing how much it sucks. If its more than just a once over the line deal I have my knife out cutting my line hehe.

Ron- You are in the right place for great help! These guys are getting you going in the right direction! However if you don't master it this year there is always the next few years.... Maybe Grad School??? Nothing like a double Doctorate, as an excuse for a great vacation. I left Minnesota 6 years ago, and love every second of AK. Have a GREAT trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    I'm no expert by any means, only really been fishing for 2 years, but I did manage to land 2 kings out of Ship Creek last year. Both were caught on a #5 blue vibrax (will probably stick to a size 6 this year). I would generally fish from 2 - 2.5 hours before and 1-2 hours after the high tide. Pretty much would fish from the time the flippers were out of the water till they got back in. Never flipped down there so can give no advice there.

As for casting during the incoming/outgoing I fished exclusively between the road bridge and rail bridge. Just chuck the vibrax out as far as you can and slow retrieve, you want to bounce it along the bottom. I use a Medium/Heavy action rod and I used 50# braid on a spinning reel.

You may also want to consider a short drive north to the Eklutna Tailrace. Think plunking with roe or shrimp is the method of choice there but I haven't fished it for kings, plan to give it a go this year though so I'll be learning the ropes.

I would guess you could get everything you'd need for $150ish from any of the local outfitters, I would highly recommend staying away from the "Salmon Rod Combos" that they sell around here though. Buddy got one last year and it broke his first time out. I use an ugly stick rod and was using one of the lower end okuma avenger reels last year think it was about a $35.00 reel. Got me a slightly better Pflueger for this year, can't wait to break it in. =D

Buy your son a copy of the Highway Angler:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...&products_id=3

Has lots of information about fishing the road system.

Mashesta can catch fish with Vibrax, so he would be the person to listen to about lures and such. Might I also recommend that while at ship creek you should try down towards the mouth. Use salmon roe 2-3 ft under a and bobber and float close to the shore. The kings will run tight to the bank. Seen lots of fish caught on roe down towards the mouth. Although I did catch a 30lber my first time fishing ship creek with a Pink #5 vibrax, down towards the mouth. Ever since then I can't catch anything with vibrax.