Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska State Law??

Default Alaska State Law??

Can you legally carry a semi auto hand gun while fishing/hunting? .45 or .454

Is there a limit on rounds you can have in it? I know other states you have to buy a 5 or 6 round clip!

I need a .45 or .454 if anyone has one for sale!

No, no law for ammo capacity for handguns. I guess it really depends on how much ammo you want to carry.

Oh and you can carry a semi for hunting or fishing. up here you can carry whatever you want. we still have most of our rights, as you will see.

I'm thinking you may have a hard time finding a semi-auto .454, but I don't know everything that's out there.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If you're thinking of bear protection I'd suggest a 44 mag is the minimum. I wouldn't carry a 45. Others may disagree.

I carried a 44 mag for years, and still have it. It's been replaced by my 500 mag. I thought about a 454 and a 460 Linebaugh, but the 500 Smith won out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    No, no law for ammo capacity for handguns. I guess it really depends on how much ammo you want to carry.

Oh and you can carry a semi for hunting or fishing. up here you can carry whatever you want. we still have most of our rights, as you will see.
    Open or concealed. With or without a CHL. Your choice.........Your right.
    Now what ?

Default Thanks for all the info!

Sounds like I need to get a .44 .454 or .500.

Why is a .45 a bad choice. They makr rounds up to 230 grains and it still has a good Fps. ?????
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Why not

They make rounds with bullets heavier than 230 for many calibers. Many not as powerful as the .45 ACP. I think we are assuming a .45 ACP as in the previous sentence you mentioned semi-auto.

If you mean .45 Long Colt with handloads then you would be OK. A stoutly loaded .45 LC is on par with the .44 mag. Elimer Keith was loading the .44 Special to .44 Mag. energies long before the mag. came out. A "modern" .45 LC loaded properly will work.

A 230 grain bullet is light for brown bears. I think most people use between 300-320 of a hardcast design. I use 300's. A good hardcast in a .45 LC of 300 grains will work with hand loads.

Just my opinion.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've been googling ballistics info for a while and can't find what I'm looking for. In the past I found impact energy charts for rifles, shotguns with slugs and 00 buckshot, and pistols. Rifles won by a large margin. Next was shotguns with 1 3/8oz slugs. The S&W 500 mag fared pretty well against the slugs. Buckshot was pathetic. So were the 45 options, even the 45 revolver cartridges. Some of the gun experts here will know lots more than me.

CorBon reports 440gr hard cast bullets in S&W 500 mag deliver 2580#/ft of energy. 230gr 45 auto is listed at 461#/ft. I remember Brenneke slugs to have just shy of 3000#/ft. 45 Colt+P tops out at 1126#/ft, 44mag at 1144#/ft, and 454 Casull at 1907#/FT according to CorBon.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/hunter.htm

Default .45 vs. 454

I carried a .44 Magnum here in Alaska for years until I bought my Ruger .454 Casull a few years ago. I carry any time I am in the bush, whether fishing, hiking or hunting. As was written here already, the .44 Magnum should be considered the MINIMUM with good, stout bullets. A "stout" handgun is marginal in rifle terms. Most would not in their right minds go after a brown bear with a .30-30, but a .44 Magnum with hot loads is right in that power range. Whatever you do, DO NOT carry hollow points!!!!! I see this all the time up here. Useless against large game up here, and worthless in a defensive situation. A .45 ACP is a fantastic man-stopper, but is only slightly better than nothing when encountering a charging bear. The big difference is that a bear is extremely tough, you need good penetration and enough "power" to break it down and stop it. A bear can "shoot back", so you must be prepared with something with enough power to penetrate into the vitals to stop one. Their metabolism is such that if you don't break it down, it can still come at you and maul or kill you even with the heart shot out. Been documented many, many times.
    Some will roll their eyes at the last statement, but it is a hard fact, and to come here unprepared for an encounter is foolish. Alaska isn't like most other states where the biggest danger in the woods is other hunters. If you go into bear country much, you will have an encounter, although the vast majority are the type where the bear smells or hears you and runs off. However, there is a great possibility of bumping into a kill site, a predatory bear or a sow with cubs, and you had better be ready for this encounter.
    A .500 is even better than my .454, but I chose to stay with my .454 because that X-frame revolver in .500 is a beheamoth. The difference in stopping power is small enough that I doubt I will change, unless something much better in a revolver comes along. If i hadn't already had my .454, I would have gone to the .460 S&W or .500, tho......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Why not hollow points?

Default Another can of worms!

This is another can of works. On heavy fur and fat just like clothing on people, the hollow point tends to clog up and not expand. The thought is a hardcast is better as it will penetrate better.

Now for the worms. I witnessed a black bear shot this year with a 320 hardcast from a .44 magnum, 18 yards. Yes the round penetrated completely through the animal. It was a shoulder shot. Did it stop it? No. Did it kill it? No. But it really pissed it off. Tore up a bait barrel and anything else in it's way. After what seemed like a minute, another round was fired and it ran off a bit and died.

Two .429 diameter holes going in and two coming out. Little damage to the animal.

The situation has caused me to re-thing my own loads. Maybe a 300 grain speer softpoint.

Default Hollowpoints

They won't penetrate well at all. They fragment when hitting bone, and do not have the structure to get into the vitals on large or dangerous game as a solid does. Penetration and bullet energy in the vitals is critical. I've seen hollowpoints in action, and they do not work on a tough animal such as a moose or a bear. I shot a moose with . 44 Magnum hollowpoints to finish it off. All of the hollowpoints didn't penetrate more than a couple of inches under the hide, but mushroomed bigger than a quarter. Not good when wanting penetration. Ended up finishing it off with my .338.
    I've killed whitetails with .44 Magnum hollowpoints. They are easy to kill, and not very big bodied. A moose is huge and a bear is very tough, and hollowpoints do not work well up here. You need heavy and tough bullets for moose and bear.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Hunting vs Self Defense

The "can of worms" scenario described by DaveintheBush sounds like a hunting scenario (bear over bait) vs self defense. In the hunting scenario you can choose a round optimized for hunting and potentially wait for the broadside vital shot. The hard cast, IMHO, are meant for the charging self defense scenario where the target presented is smaller, frontal, and full of skull and teeth. At the point you want to crush bone. DaveintheBush if your can of worms was not a hunting scenario please share the whole story, as I now carry 360 grain hard cast hot loads in my .454, and value pros and cons on this subject.

If you bring a 45, make sure you file the sights off! That way it won't hurt as bad when the brownie put's it where the sun don't shine!

Default Yes

Yes it was a hunting scenaro. The point is, the bullet did nothing but make a .429 diameter hole in and a .429 diameter hole out. So little expansion took place and henceforth little transference of energy. The bear turned around as if stung by a bee. But a whole lot madder.

I am just stating a fact that I have on film. Obviously I was not impressed with the preformance. Would a head on shot have better results? I am not going to try. I am switching to a 300 grain Speer.

This spring I am going to try a 600 grain slug though from the front if I can find a volunteer black bear.

Default .44 mag

Sounds like a better round is needed. What about a Shot gun slug? Does anyone have any experince with a bear getting hit with a slug?

Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

ucohokie nailed it. A pistol carried for bear protection assumes that you will shoot at a charging animal. Penetration is, or should be, the primary performance characteristic of whatever bullets you load it with.

To carry Eric's point one step further - It is penetration through bone that counts.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Similar question here, don't mean to highjack the thread but I was just wondering; if your under 21 ( I'm 27) and I'm out in the field without a adult can I still carry a sidearm?

I didn't know if there were exceptions for that up here.

Thanks,

~Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Similar question here, don't mean to highjack the thread but I was just wondering; if your under 21 ( I'm 27) and I'm out in the field without a adult can I still carry a sidearm?

I didn't know if there were exceptions for that up here.

Thanks,

~Jon
    There is no law against possession of a handgun by a person under 21 as long as it isn't concealed. AS 11.61.220 (a) (6). Read the list of affirmative defenses that apply.
    The age 21 law is federal and only applies to purchase from a licensed dealer.

Unemancipated minors under the age of 16 may not possess a firearm without the consent of parent or guardian. AS 11.61.220 (a) (3).

So yes, if Mom and Dad say so.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast