Thread: Sat. Phone

Default Sat. Phone

I was hoping a few of you could help me out with buying a sat phone. I would be using it in emergencies only on a charter baot. We don't have cell coverage, but that isn't the reason for it. Where do I look for one? I'd like to find a good used one. What plans are avalible? I looked at a few places online. Nothing seemed to jump out at me. I'd like ot know what you use/ have and like. Thanks for helping me with this. I really value and appreciate your helpful opinions!
    Erik

Default Try Surveys exchange

Try http://www.tse-ak.com/ The are a forum sponsor, I have not used them but have heard good things about them. That would be the first place I would look if I was buying a new or used Sat. phone.

Basic choices for service are a traditional plan where you pay a monthly charge for access - some come with a pot of minutes, some you pay a charge per minute; and a pre-paid card where you buy a pot of minutes in advance. One hitch with the second option is that (unlike a typical prepaid minute plan for long distance) the minutes EXPIRE after a year...at least with all the plans I'm familiar with

I have an Iridium 9505A, I bought it 4 years ago...now I just buy the minutes from "Surveyors Exchange" .....its about a $1 per minute ($500 for 500 minutes, and good for one whole year from the time you buy it)

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I have an Iridium 9505A, I bought it 4 years ago...now I just buy the minutes from "Surveyors Exchange" .....its about a $1 per minute ($500 for 500 minutes, and good for one whole year from the time you buy it)
    And the minutes roll over, which is a good thing. I have the same phone from Surveyors exchange.

I would go with an Iridium 9505A refurbished from Surveyors Exchange. I have rented that model 3 times from them and used it for phone calls. Was very happy with the phone.

If you buy a set from them you get one of those small Pelican cases for it which is nice to throw in your pack or wherever you are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Yeah I bought that same phone 5 years ago now. Great phone, always get reception. The plan my buddy and I are on (we shared the initial cost of the phone and now split the annual costs of coverage) is $200 every 6 months or $400 a year for 400 minutes. We find that we don't ever use that much, but its the least amount we can buy. But atleast they all rollover to the next year, I think we are up to like 800 minutes now.

I havent bought a sat phone yet, its on the long list of gear that i need to get, but i have rented sat phones from the surveyors exchange and they are stand up guys over there and great to deal with.

Thumbs up Another vote for Surveyor's Echange

They usually have used phones for sale and they remind you before your minutes expire so you do not need to get a new sim card.

Seems like you guys made the decisin easy! I will let them know of the phenominal word of mouth! As a business person of Alaska I appreciate your help! Have a Great season in what ever you pursue! Good luck and stay safe.
    Erik

Default Initial Cost ?

Thanks folks, I was also reading as a seeker and had heard good things about Surv Exch

so now am wondering about the initial cost of phone, chrger, etc.?? $1000 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks folks, I was also reading as a seeker and had heard good things about Surv Exch

so now am wondering about the initial cost of phone, chrger, etc.?? $1000 or so?

I paid $1295 for my Iridium 9505A back in 2006, along with 500 minutes, it was good for one year from the time I purchased it, the reason I bought so many minutes because I took it to Iraq with me to call home just about every day, If you are not going to use the phone regularly,and just use for hunting, to call air service, or to just check in at home then just buy about 200 minutes (this is the minimum, I believe) You can let it expire or run out until you go again, then you can go to Surveyor Ex. and renew minutes with another sim card, take the phone in and they will do everything for you, but the catch is...if you renew before the exp date, you add more minutes to that same sim card and roll over the unused minutes.....I believe there's a newer iridium out now, and you could probably pick up the 9505A for around $900 new!!.........not sure but think the newer one has a PLB, and texting capability.....and NOT cheap.

Default Iridium

One thing I can offer to this is to go with Iridium, not Globalstar. I have gotten passable reception on the Iridium in some pretty tight holes while, with Globalstar I have been 5 miles from any land and not been able to get a single bar. Maybe they have fixed this but I would still go with Iridium.

Check out outfittersatellite, I got my 9555 iridium from them and love it, was used for one season and did not have a single smugh on it. Iridium is the only service I would trust my life to here in Alaska.

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/ad..._mot_adobe.pdf

Terry