Thread: Gitzits?

Default Gitzits?

I have heard gitzits work well for lake trout. Does anyone have any size/color preferences? I am trying to find tackle for lakers.

Yep, white tube jigs in 3 to4 inch sizes work well with properly sized jig weight work well. Personally I have most of my luck on Williams Whitefish spoons in hammered 1/2 and 1/2 or gold.

The 6" white tube has been the best one for large lakers. smaller sizes from 3.5-5" have been working also, but it seems most of the jumbo size trout are caught on the larger size.

White and rainbow trout paddle fry have been excellent for dollies, trout and burbot.

How big is the paddle fry, Where do you find them?

The paddle fry is about 3". 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle in Wasilla carries them.

What size of jig heads do you use for the gitzits?

depends on depth for me. I've found some heavy heads, work well in deep water. Dont want to heavy or to light. To light you'll never feel a fish bite on the fall, to heavy the head will fall to fast. Line diamter will also dictate what you use for head weight. I find about 1oz or more being my go to weight, though I'll keep a few ready to go with 1/2 oz for suspended shallower jigging.