Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat shipper did a GREAT job, highly recommend him

Default Boat shipper did a GREAT job, highly recommend him

I (finally) took delivery on the boat yesterday and I couldnt be happier with the boat shipper I ended up with. I found him indirectly through Uship. I turns out that finding a boat shipper who you trust and will do a good job is a bigger job than you'd think, so I wanted to pass this along as a "public service"

He was very professional, patient, thorough, communicated great with me, got all the permits he needed, fast, and is an all around really nice guy.

We did up a written contract which specified who would pay for what repairs and what he'd charge me per hour and a max cap he'd charge. He brought up many things in the contract that I didnt even think of but should have.

There was no question about what to expect and what the timeline was, and he kept to it.

Even though I didnt think to ask for it; he cardboarded all the glass, put additional tape over the trailer and boat to protect it from all the rocks kicked up on the Alcan (boat had already been travel wrapped) and put additional supports under the motor to help protect the hydraulics from road bouncing.

After he got to Anchorage he removed all the tape, cardboard and plastic and power washed it so he'd deliver a clean boat. It needed it.

It was his fourth trip up here towing a boat and his second winter trip, he said the road conditions and frost heaves were the worst he'd ever seen.

He's Steve Driver of Driven Concepts Inc.

913 Ripplestone Ave
    N.
    Las Vegas, NV 89081
    702-639-8626 Home/Office
    702-639-1923 Fax
    702-523-1967 NV Cell
    406-560-4657 MT Cell (Best # to Contact when I'm not transporting)
    406-560-5234 Truck Cell (Best number when transporting)

PM me if you want his email address.

His profile and feedback on Uship: http://www.uship.com/profile/drvmecrzy5/
    The feedback from the other winter boat he shipped up here: http://www.uship.com/community/stori...in-the-winter/

Totally night-and-day difference from the first two meatheads I dealt with:

AK Fresh Xpress (aka "Alaska Fresh Express") out of Homer who said "Sure I'll pick it up within the week" and then put me off for a week, then another week then another week and then started never picking up the phone returning my emails or phone calls. Which was really suprising since his dad runs Alaska Big Tow which from all accounts is a good outfit.

The second meathead was Todd Tripp who also kept putting me off and then started wanting a 50% deposit a week prior to pickup even though we'd agreed it would be upon pickup. I started getting a bad feeling about it so I asked him what his DOT number was and who the insurance company was. The next email I got back after that (2 days later) was "sorry I'm afraid I can't do your load, bye"
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default How much did it cost?

last April AML shipped my boat directly to Whittier its 32'x11.5 on triple axle trailer, never touched a road except I-5 from bellingham to south seattle. My friend has the sister-ship and his went straight to Cordova for another grand
    I think trident seafoods paid 6500.00 to ship it on their account I don't know if trident overlooked the bill or what but I didn't pay, hehehe....shhhh!

It ran me $4800.00, $1500 more than meathead quoted me, but IMO worth it. My boat is 9' 6" wide and is considered an "oversize load"

$6500 on a barge is an incredible rate for a boat that size. You must have gotten a really discounted rate through Trident. Alaska Marine Lines is one of the places I contacted and they wanted something like 6900 for me.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    It ran me $4800.00, $1500 more than meathead quoted me, but IMO worth it. My boat is 9' 6" wide and is considered an "oversize load"

$6500 on a barge is an incredible rate for a boat that size. You must have gotten a really discounted rate through Trident. Alaska Marine Lines is one of the places I contacted and they wanted something like 6900 for me.
    Thats just it the big outfits that use AML alot seem to have a rake -off on their rates....I do believe w/o the cannery it would have been closer to 10k

Fullbush- Was that a bowpicker you had shipped up from Bellingham? Have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Powderpro View Post
    Fullbush- Was that a bowpicker you had shipped up from Bellingham? Have any pics?
    I do powderpro. I'll post some, soon. This is a brand new macbook, I need to figure out how to get my pics off my PC that took a dump. I'm taking it to computer renesance today.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderpro View Post
    lets see if this works i've never posted pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more

heres a couple more, I remembered I had some pics on the camera still..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Northland Services is always worth a call...

In Sept of 2009, they shipped our boat on a trailer via barge from Seattle to Whittier. Overall length was 36 foot x 10 foot wide x 13 foot tall. Total cost was $4888. They provided everything needed via email or phone and delivered as promised to the day. We orginally placed an ad on Uship, but were not happy with the response. If U do go with a small shipper, make sure U are provided a copy of their insurance and permitting and that it checks out.
    SeaULater

Fullbush - Just curious...why did you decide to go with jets vs. outdrives? I'm still learning on a lot of these things...

Is it a reliability thing, or practicality for the work of the boat?

Very nice boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Fullbush - Just curious...why did you decide to go with jets vs. outdrives? I'm still learning on a lot of these things...

Is it a reliability thing, or practicality for the work of the boat?

Very nice boat!
    Theres alot of reasons. I can drive over nets/lines, simplicity, reliability, i can't knock them off on rocks/logs/ice, I don't need a tranny if i choose, never need to hire a mechanic because they're idiot proof, never have to replace props. outdrives scare the b'geezus outta me. I have had 4 boats w/ the old 1031 hamilton, and now this one w/ the 241's, never missed a day of fishing because of a propulsion issue

Northland quoted me $4576.90 from Seattle, it was going to cost me an additional $1700 to get it to Seattle from Eureka, CA.

Totem quoted $6435

Pacific Alaska Freightways $4380
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Northland quoted me $4576.90 from Seattle, it was going to cost me an additional $1700 to get it to Seattle from Eureka, CA.

Totem quoted $6435

Pacific Alaska Freightways $4380
    thanks Maast for the info!..hmmmmm? ..never really thought about getting the boat delivered here!..i wonder what a land delivery would be from washington Seattle to Prince George BC?...we do have a big deisel ford, but was a little worried about the canyon stretch or the Kocahahla HYway up hill strecth!..hmmmm?....ya got the gears going, Maast.thanks!...congrats on your boat!..very nice! larry

Fullbush- Nice looking boat, I've seen them advertised on a few broker's websites.

I to had a positive experience with USHIP

Here is a link to the shipper I used, he did a great job, lived up to his commitment +, and kept me posted during the trip, 2200+ miles, Oregon to Indiana

http://www2.uship.com/profile/boats/

Default I think I seen it on the road!!

Last Friday in the early evening I I think I seen you boat east of Watson Lake. I was travelling to Edmonton. It was all shrink wrapped, all I could tell is the it had twin outboards. I looked like twin 150 yams.
    I drove down and picked mine up from Vancouver island in 2007, the round trip with ferry ride & 1night hotel was about $1500.00. I went with two buddys and left Thursday and made it back on Sunday (to Whitehorse).
    Going down was fine, hair straight back all the way! Coming back had a few exciting moments like snow storms in pine pass.

Enjoy It

Chuck

Default Pictures?

Maast,

Have you posted any pictures of your new beauty yet? I don't remember seeing any. You've gotta be busting at the seams in excitement. How about sharing.....maybe some of her wrapped up for transport and afterwards too.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Maast,

Have you posted any pictures of your new beauty yet? I don't remember seeing any. You've gotta be busting at the seams in excitement. How about sharing.....maybe some of her wrapped up for transport and afterwards too.

Mike
    Dollar to a donut he's breakin her in at the derby, I wouldn't doubt he's got blood on her by now too

I've posted pictures in my profile's album.

I'd LOVE to break her in during the derby, but I've got a Airtronic D4 to finish installing, then weld up the 30 gallon diesel tank for it, and I need to install the winch and bow roller.

Didnt necessarily want such a large diesel tank, but the space its going in is that large and I figured I'd might as well use all of it. At least I'll only have to fuel it up once a year
    "Dominion"

Very nice. Saw your bow roller post so kind of thought you were still getting her set up how you wanted her. I think I actually spent too much time trying to get mine just right before taking her out. Once I had her safe and ready for fishing I should have launched her and started having fun. There was plenty of time between outtings to continue improving her.

How funny that I called her your "new beauty" and that's exactly how you titled your album.

Best of luck to you when you get her wet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast