Thread: Ideas for a sling stand for Double Amputee

Default Ideas for a sling stand for Double Amputee

My fellow baiters,
    I received a call today that broke my heart. A young man lost both of his legs, as a child, in a railroad accident. This man's dream is to venture into the great outdoors of Alaska and shoot a black bear. He does not qualify to hunt with the Paralyzed Veterans or Wounded Warriors because he never served. I would really like to help this guy fulfill his dream!

I would like to know your ideas on making a tree sling for a double amputee.

The only other alternative would be to build a ramp like the PVA has.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Bait, there are options, but the hardships are gonna be greater if the department tears down the set up each each only to have to build a new one each year.. if he's a resident, he's gonna have some great chances on getting a bear next year.. and I believe if he's wheel chair bound.. He doesn't need a stand.. make a trail, use a ground blind.. or..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Possibly a full harness with a pulley system. Hoist him up to a treestand. I'm assuming he won't be alone and will have help of course.

I was trying to avoid building anything that would have to be torn down when the season ended.
    The option of a harness is out. The harness strap that goes between the legs would be more then uncomfortable... to say the least. The treestand idea is great... but from my understanding his balance is not the best.
    Here is my thought...
    Fabricate a welded tear shaped bucket. The bucket would have a hole in the back to hoist from. With climbing spikes we could assist him while being hoisted. Make the bucket secure to the tree and put at least a vest harness on him. I don't know .. what do you think?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

-We have a disabled bow hunter friend here in Seward that might be able to shed some light on some ideas...
    -he built his own last year, and then got ahold of this tree climber called a "Gorilla Greyback TreeStand", I think- out of Florida; he also received free shipping-

-I will do some checking for you...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Why not a ground blind?? I have used them with great success. I always have two hunters to keep an eye out and bear spray in case I have to deal with a non legal animal. I found that some of the folks I have taken bear hunting are both new to hunting and have limited mobility. By being in the blind with them I can both coach and provide additional firepower if required. My buddy's father hunted with me last year, he was unable to climb or navigate the slick tidal flats. We set this blind up near a well used trail. This bear was taken at about 15 steps. Pops still starts shaking every time he relives that hunt. While hunting on the ground has its own hazards, so does trying to get into and out of a tree. The blind is light and can be carried in and out. Sets up in just a few minutes. Also very nice in the rain, works best with a thermacell inside. HINT. This blind is a pop-up, and has a carbon liner. The blind allows for a lot of movement and the carbon cuts down on scent.

Good luck,

Steve

Yes, a ground blind would work best. I was just trying to get this young man into a tree to enjoy the show. Where we hunt, we would all be on high alert at all times. I wouldn't want to risk it.
    I would just love to see him experience everything and take it all in

The PVA has some pretty hair raising video of brownies too close while in a ground blind.

Thanks for the info
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Being in the tree is the way to gow since you have the ability to hear & then see the approach. I seen 2 or more bears circling at the same time. Or 1 comes in to feed and gets scent of a bigger bear drifting in so he leaves. Usually the smaller bears are in earlier in the evening. An aluminum broaching across 2 trees with pullies to get up & down would be the way to go but a little awkward.

Thumbs up handicapped vehicle

this isn't exactly what your asking, about bears...but

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6736417.html

For a first hunt, why not do a boat based hunt? Can watch from the boat. Best yet, he can shoot from the boat! If set on tree stand hunting, I am sure something will be made up between all the brains on here.

Default just a thought

"Kline" makes tools for linemen the guys that have to work from a bosemen's chair to work on power lines. also sit harnesses for rock climbing can be very comfortable, unless you are over weight.
    for that matter one could rig a block and tackle lifting a regular chair with webbing . He could then lift himself leaving nothing dangeling for bear to get ahold of.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Why not a ground blind?? I have used them with great success. I always have two hunters to keep an eye out and bear spray in case I have to deal with a non legal animal. I found that some of the folks I have taken bear hunting are both new to hunting and have limited mobility. By being in the blind with them I can both coach and provide additional firepower if required. My buddy's father hunted with me last year, he was unable to climb or navigate the slick tidal flats. We set this blind up near a well used trail. This bear was taken at about 15 steps. Pops still starts shaking every time he relives that hunt. While hunting on the ground has its own hazards, so does trying to get into and out of a tree. The blind is light and can be carried in and out. Sets up in just a few minutes. Also very nice in the rain, works best with a thermacell inside. HINT. This blind is a pop-up, and has a carbon liner. The blind allows for a lot of movement and the carbon cuts down on scent.

Good luck,

Steve

...that's a beautiful bear, Steve!!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

How much of his legs are left? A full body harness shouldn't be any more uncomfortable for him than it is for us with legs. I've seen a guy with no legs that uses a full body harness, ropes, and ascenders to climb some pretty amazing stuff.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    How much of his legs are left? A full body harness shouldn't be any more uncomfortable for him than it is for us with legs. I've seen a guy with no legs that uses a full body harness, ropes, and ascenders to climb some pretty amazing stuff.
    We are going to meet up with this young man soon. We have some pretty good ideas from you guys. I will keep you all posted So excited !!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Default hammac

tie a hammic to a bar or small cut down tree to keep it open so it he does not end up in a ball, hook an equalizing anchor to both ends ( rope with a twist in the middle) and raise him up with a come along from above or a Z pulley set up from the ground. Used to do this all the time to practice mountain evacuation when I was an climbing instructor with other instructors in side, and works great. Make sure you know how to tie knots so that they won't fail.