Thread: New Regulations

Default New Regulations

This is an educational thread to keep mariners abreast of new and existing laws......

FYI did you know that if your freeboard is 4 feet or more you now have to have a Coast Guard approved ladder so the Coast guard can board you safely? I just went out and measured my water line.....5' foot to the gunnel I bet if I took on water for ballast I could get 13 inches out of it
    Next we'll have to provide donuts and coffee to the crew while the boatswain tallys up the discrepancies and writes up the violations.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    This is an educational thread to keep mariners abreast of new and existing laws......

FYI did you know that if your freeboard is 4 feet or more you now have to have a Coast Guard approved ladder so the Coast guard can board you safely? I just went out and measured my water line.....5' foot to the gunnel I bet if I took on water for ballast I could get 13 inches out of it
    Next we'll have to provide donuts and coffee to the crew while the boatswain tallys up the discrepancies and writes up the violations.
    Good stuff! Or you can take out a couple BIG girls.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Good stuff! Or you can take out a couple BIG girls.
    or more beer, or keep bigger fish, shoot bigger bears...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 ADFG fishing regulation books are now available! We just picked up a few down at their office off of Raspberry Rd along with new shrimping permits for PWS. They said the shrimp permits for the North Gulf Coast will be available after 1 April. On a side note, the guy working there said there was rumors that there may be an EO coming out soon raising the # of pots per vessel to 8 from 5. Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    On a side note, the guy working there said there was rumors that there may be an EO coming out soon raising the # of pots per vessel to 8 from 5. Wow...
    I don't think ADFG has the authority to make a change like that by EO.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I don't know how all that works, but I'm just passing along what I was told. If ADFG employees are talking about a rumor, there may be some merit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Well, looks like I was wrong...I guess there's always a first time for something

Typically, ADFG doesn't have the authority to expand methods, means and limits unless explicitly provided for in the regulations...so I went and pulled up the management plan, and there's the authority under 5 AAC 55.055(c), the PWS non-commercial shrimp mgmt plan:

(c) If the noncommercial fisheries are projected by the department to not exceed the guideline harvest level for noncommercial fisheries, the commissioner may, by emergency order, liberalize the noncommercial fisheries. The liberalizations may be implemented before the season based on the most recent harvest estimates for the noncommercial fisheries and the guideline harvest level established for that year. Liberalizations may include an increase in the number of pot gear, and time and area.

I haven't seen a press release about this yet, but I see that potbuilder posted the news release about the commercial fishery opening ( http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=75421 ), so this may well be something that they're pondering.

Thanks for raising your voice.

Default One more reason for the Inspected Sticker

I keep my boat up todate with the USGC Aux Inspected sticker for the current year, when they see it they have always waved me off. Not to say they still can't come on board.

I wonder if the Coast Guard is gonna protect us from the blue hairs on the cruise ships again this year? Last year a Princess love boat was docking as I was approaching the harbor and the orange CG boat w/ the machine gun roared over and made sure they were not gonna hurt me or my boat. I thought it was so nice of them.

Oh on another note.....its not an issue in the summer but in the fall when it gets dark earlier, if you see a cruise ship cruising w/ all its decks lit up like a roman candle, its up to you to call the Coast Guard and report this. Its impossible to see their navigation lights w/ all the foo foo lighting and also illegal.