Thread: Eagle Rock Drift Only

Default Eagle Rock Drift Only

Yesterday the Peninsula Clarion ran an article addressing a perceived "social issue" regarding fishing techniques on the Kenai River. I was wondering how people felt about turning the Eagle Rock area on the Kenai into a draggers (drifters) only area. I know the river gets crowded, but most of the time there is not a problem in this area. I would hate to see a season long regulation enacted to fix a perceived problem that only happens for a few weeks a season. The few boats who do try to squeeze in and backtroll when others are trying to drift are the bozos causing this potential regulation. If we allow this regulation, how many more will follow? Should we regulate backtroll only areas? I know that there are places where the drifters fish if there are not backtrollers there. I see this potentially leading to the river being chopped up into "may" and "may not" areas, and I think we would all be doing well to figure out how to get along without more regulations. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    Yesterday the Peninsula Clarion ran an article addressing a perceived "social issue" regarding fishing techniques on the Kenai River. I was wondering how people felt about turning the Eagle Rock area on the Kenai into a draggers (drifters) only area. I know the river gets crowded, but most of the time there is not a problem in this area. I would hate to see a season long regulation enacted to fix a perceived problem that only happens for a few weeks a season. The few boats who do try to squeeze in and backtroll when others are trying to drift are the bozos causing this potential regulation. If we allow this regulation, how many more will follow? Should we regulate backtroll only areas? I know that there are places where the drifters fish if there are not backtrollers there. I see this potentially leading to the river being chopped up into "may" and "may not" areas, and I think we would all be doing well to figure out how to get along without more regulations. Your thoughts?
    May be we should write the illustrious interior secretary Ken Salazar and get his honorable opinion. uh, on 2nd thought maybe we should keep it on the down low and let people handle their differences on the beach, like the old days

Default I say we set up a table...

At Eagle Rock campground and arm wrestle for it. Do it every morning with different people and you should have a different outcome on different days. We could toss a coin but that wouldn't be much fun now, would it?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Not a regulation

DNR is not proposing a regulation at this time. What they are trying to do is avoid the need for a regulation in the future by simply making a "polite suggestion" at this time. There will be no enforcement, but most reasonable people should get the idea and try to avoid conflicts. It is worth a try as last year things got a bit out of hand in the upper part of this drift.

Default I don't get...

Why people would want to backtroll in that area during peak times? I love drifting the rock during a hot bite and often wonder about the guys backtrolling in that area, I mean I see them bobbing like crazy from all the boat wake and have to wonder why they stay there!?!?
    Not only that but they clog up the run back to the top of the drift!? I know they are getting a ton of stink eye from all the guys running back upstream..but they troll on.

Plenty of holes available to backtroll till your hearts content...why the heck folks feel like they need to buck the system is beyond me. To clarify...I am refering to peak days. I am sure there are lots of days when a guy could backtroll the rock without upsetting the drift.

Peak times...leave it to the drifters. Then we won't need a reg change!

Default Social issue is real and not perceived

I'm really hoping that by State Parks placing the signs and doing some educational type things that it will help resolve this very real social problem between those wishing to imploy different methods of fishing in a congested area at the Rock during king season on the Kenai River.

The last thing that I would want to see is one more regulation on the books for the Kenai that could of been avoided with a little common sense and a little respect shown for others.

There are already multiple regulations in place that dictate the method that we fish in certain areas on the Kenai such as bank fishing only, no bank fishing, fly fishing only, drift boat only, no bait, single hook only, and spawning closures to mention a few so it is not far fetched to think that an area might be restricted for drift only.

I thought that both Sockeye Charlie & Joe Lure were spot on in the both of there posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    Why people would want to backtroll in that area during peak times?
    I assume we're talking King salmon fishing here. Same reason people want to drift through a bunch of people backtrolling, or even anchoring in the middle of a backtroll or drift area. Or people drifting and others backtrolling where most people are back bouncing. I've seen all these things. They just don't care how they affect another's experience. I don't think regulation is the answer. The styles of fishing that river (the lower) have always been changing. Thirty five years ago, few, if any people backtrolled. It was almost all drifters. Now, I'd say the vast majority backtroll. Of course, there's reasons for the change, but that's another thread.

Default dragging

iceblue,

Would this suggestion be in effect for the entire king run or just during bait? Like the "No Fishing From the Bank until August 15th" signs do you think this one would read "Dragging/Drifting Area Only During Bait"? It seems to me that there is no conflict whatsoever at Eagle Rock until bait is opened up.

I sure would hate to go against Mr. Sinclair's suggestion but if it comes down to it I have no problems working this area when dragging/drifting is an exercise in futility. Now when bait is open I respect that Eagle Rock is a traditional dragging/drifting area and I fish above it or below it.

The way that I understand it is that the signs are asking for folks to respect the traditional way of dragging / drifting in this area while fishing for kings. When there are only a few drifters or when it is "no bait" then the two types of fishing should be able to coexist in the same area at the same. I do not believe that this is intended to prohibit backtrolling around the Rock and is simply a courtesy thing that hopefully will prevent a regulation coming on the books. If the regulation was to pass then it would eliminate all backtrolling in that area from time A thru time B. Also, it is "OKAY" to backtroll across from the Rock around the slough that always has a boat or two in it during the busy times.
    So backtroll away just remember that if a drifter comes down try to move over for them. If you start to see a few more boats drifting then it is time to move on to another backtrolling spot.

I think we should make it so you can only fish a fly down and across from the bank and take a step every 3 casts. Just because thats how I like to fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.