Thread: WOO HOOO!!! Coming back!!!

Default WOO HOOO!!! Coming back!!!

Looks like I'll be getting a return trip to Cordova!!

Looks like the family and I will be headed up to Cordova this fall. Probably sometime around Thanksgiving!! It should work out perfectly. The wife wants to bring up the new baby to show him off to family and friends and has given me the green flag to hunt the whole time!!! Looking at about 12 days up there. I'll probably stick to shooting puddlers more than anything, but I might try to bust a harli while I'm there in the bay.

I was thinking the puddlers would be easiest b/c I can just order 2 dozen decoys from Cabelas and have them shipped up there ahead of time. If I want to chase sea ducks I'll have to mess with long lines and I just don't think it's worth the effort of getting everything up there.

Besides, with November comes the high winds and bad weather which is what leads to the epic mallard and pintail shoots down on the edge of the Copper River Delta. Squatty420 got to experience one of those hunts with me when he was up there. It's definitely something to see when 50-75 mallards are coming in with feet out, no circling, and flying 10 feet off the deck into the decoys. You have to punch holes through the greenheads to try and bust the big mature pintail drakes that mix in with them!!! If I can get a hunt without the rain while I'm there I'll get some pics!

Default Oh baby!

I like your pictures! I like your enthusiasm! I keep telling my wife I need more time in the field. Not for me, but for the dogs. The only thing missing in your pictures is a pretty yellow lab sitting there and I just happen to have a very photogenic little girl that would fit the bill! I just don't think my 12 year old gray beard will be up to that this year. He'll get to hunt, but I'll try to keep him out of the muck and hard going.
    Sure hope it all works out for you to get out to your old haunts. We can always use a few more of your stories.

You could always meet me there for a hunt! I don't have a dog, and they aren't really needed for where I hunt, but it would beat leaving the blind and flaring other birds that were coming in. Usually the shooting is pretty fast and furious.

The last year I was there I think we averaged about 45 minutes for two of us to get our limits. It didn't seem to matter if we hunted the river, the ponds, or the delta. There were always plenty of birds to shoot at.

Cordova is special due to the very low number of waterfowlers there. I think there may be about 5 true duck hunters in the entire town. Even they didn't hunt much. In three seasons of living there I only saw one other duck hunter on the water while I was out and he hunted a couple miles from where I was that day!!

Default Locations

Anybody know of any quality waterfowl hunting locations near Fairbanks? Looking for a place I can make a day or weekend trip out of when the time comes. I am local here, out of Ft. Wainwright.

Thanks,

Matt

Welcome back man for a little while!!! I plan on hitting a good week in Cordova around Labor Day week for some fins and feathers action I may be inticed to go back down in November if Waldo don't have me in Homer kill'n sea ducks

There are plenty of sea ducks around Cordova too ya know!! I'll post up the dates when we get all that arranged and maybe we can work something out.

I though about coming in October so that I could also catch some of the later running silvers but November is easier now that my stepson is in school. They don't like the kids to miss more than five days a quarter so if we come at thanksgiving it will coincide with his fall break and allow us a few more days to hunt/visit!!

Quote Originally Posted by chsend22 View Post
    Anybody know of any quality waterfowl hunting locations near Fairbanks? Looking for a place I can make a day or weekend trip out of when the time comes. I am local here, out of Ft. Wainwright.

Thanks,

Matt
    Matt, use the search function and you will have more than enough locations to go check out over the summer so that you are prepared come September 1.

Default Hey now...

Don't invite the world...Remember I will be there myself;-)
    FYI to all who have followed Ring King's exploits...There are NO ducks in Cordova! He actually hunts out of Valdez...