Thread: Wade fishing on the Kenai

Lightbulb Wade fishing on the Kenai

I will be in Alaska for the first time, and thought about staying at the Kenai Riverside at Copper Landing with a RV for the week of Aug. 27. My thought was to spend one day with a guide on the river, but then have a close access point to the river for some wade fisghing. Does anyone know much about this location or have a suggestion for another close access point for staying with a RV. Thank you

Default fishing for what?

are you targeting Rainbows, Dolly's or Sokeye?
    the upper Kenai offers good opportunities for wade fishing.
    Your location would be ok, but be aware you will need to drive to several places along the river system if you don't use a Raft, or Drift boat.
    The Russian river is nearby,but like I said, you will need to drive to that location. From your RV park, will be limited on the Numbers of Fish.
    The bigger population of fish will be hanging out at or below the Russian river confluence. Most of my Rafting customers have the best fishing from Sportsman Landing To Jims Landing areas. Lots of Wade fishing, or bank Fishing on Gravel bars and Islands..You may want to try drifting this area at least one time on your visit.. How many days do you intend on Staying in the Area??
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Probably a bit late, but you don't catch any fish if you don't cast.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AlaksaCanoe,
    My primary focus will be for bows and Silvers. I have two people looking to book a full day float trip, so any recommendations on a guide services would be appreciated. I have spent a life time of chasing the Steel Head in all of the Great lake tributaries with a fly rod, and look foward to the "Holy Grail" of Alaska for rain bow trout.

Mich...
    Your Cooper Landing idea is a good one. You could also stay at one of the USFS campgrounds on the Russian River, which would give you walking access to that stream as well. That late in the season, the crowds will probably have thinned out a bit from what they'd be in July but won't be entirely gone. Either spot is good; they're only about five or six miles apart. In either case, you'll be within easy driving distance of good locations to start walking/wading. You should be spot on on timing for rainbows and dollies, maybe just a bit early for large numbers of silvers. If you decide to fish closer to Soldotna, which just might put you into a few more silvers, you should stay with Max/Alaska Canoe.

As far as guides go, I'd suggest calling Alaska Troutfitters in Cooper Landing. Their number is (907) 595-1212. However, I'd call them right now and book as they tend to fill up early. If they are full, call John Pearson (IIRC) at Kenai River Float-n-Fish at 595-3905.

Your plans sound like a good starting point - good luck and enjoy the trip.
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom L; 01-20-2007 at 10:11. Reason: fix typographical errors

Tom,

Are there good gravel bars for wading below Kenai Lake or Skilak Lake? The walk to the gravel bars looks to be a couple miles from Skilak Lake road. Are there marked paths from previous fisherman taking this same route?
    Thanks again for the Guide Info.

Smile

Mich-
    There is good access - almost all on National Forest or National Wildlife Refuge land - with relatively short walking from the road to the river - between Kenai and Skilak Lakes. However, below Skilak Lake, there's more private land, and less gravel bars. You read the map correctly, it's a bit farther to the river in that section too.
    That might be a good spot to fish on your day with a guide - it's also where the largest numbers of sockeye spawn.
    Check your PMs

Tom
    Last edited by Tom L; 01-20-2007 at 23:14. Reason: typos, again...

Post kenai river access

this site may help a little
    http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/TopoPa...vr_topo_pg.htm

also, checkout USGS maps for the area.

i spent some time on the Kenai peninsula last summer. This summer i want to focus specifically on the upper Kenai. i'll probably be out there in late august too.

make sure you find out about bead fishing (egg imitation)
    very popular that time of year
    http://www.troutbeads.com/Products.html

paul

Go to the "Alaska Outdoor Store" at the top of this page, click on Maps...four of them available that will provide you all the information you need. At five bucks apiece, how can you go wrong. Tip...don't be afraid to strech your legs a little....i.e.trails off the Skilak Lake loop road to the Kenai can give you a piece of the river with little or no competition. Just be "bear aware"!

Check your p.m.'s