Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you...buy a .375HH?

Default Why buy a 375 HnH?

It was my dad's. Sold when he passed. I'd like it to stay in the family, and maybe take an animal for my family, or for my kids' someday.

v/r

salcha star road

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Not at close range... but then I think there's a whole lot of value to stomp something right good at 150yds. Then the up close stuff is pretty moot.

That's always been the appeal of the .375s. They hit remarkably hard from the muzzle to further than a person really ought to shoot.

I remember my first outing with my .375- I bounced a bowling pin over the 100yd backstop. Don't know why- but that left me pretty darn impressed.
    I just asked because peple said they bought one to "Stop" a bear, i.e. DLP situation. That makes me think of ranges around 20-30yrds max; 150yrds would not be DLP.I agree for hunting at range the .375 obviously has an advantage.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Things that make you buy a .375 H&H

How about Kmart going out of business and picking up a Model 70 Classic S/S for $600. That's what made me buy mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    How about Kmart going out of business and picking up a Model 70 Classic S/S for $600. That's what made me buy mine.
    Wow, Talk about stealing.... Ken

Talking Kodiak tag

How about that Kodiak tag that I'm going to get when permits are announced tomorrow???

Default CLOSE Encounters of the toothy kind.

Not that I have had one. But a 375 would be my caliber of choice, depending on time of year and terrain/location.
    I'd rather be over gunned then a snack.

Default best reason yet....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    How about that Kodiak tag that I'm going to get when permits are announced tomorrow???
    now that a good reason hope you get the tag and roll a biggun.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I carried a Model 70 Winnie in .375 when I worked for the Forest Service out of Sitka in the 70s. It was the issued firearm when the USFS was still run by real men who liked to pull chain and cruise timber (instead of pose as rangers and run off people enjoying the woods in the old fashioned way).
    Man! I remember those Forest Service .375s. It sure have been nice if they had recoil pads and not hard buttplates. My shoulder just twinged in memory!

Thumbs down bear gun?

a 375 is a good moose/elk/boo round----bear guns start with a 4---as in 45/70 or 416 ---well you get the idea

Smile maybe it was...

Stories of Alaskan guides, coastal brown bears, Africa and .375's are things of legend. Countless magazine covers with some of the finest "best grade" Mauser and pre-64 Winchester rifles featured with beautiful walnut stocks and rust blue metal. It's reputation is as good as it gets.

Default FS .375s

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Man! I remember those Forest Service .375s. It sure have been nice if they had recoil pads and not hard buttplates. My shoulder just twinged in memory!
    It was 1974, I think, and the Forest Service had gotten a bad bunch of rifles... I don't remember how many of them, or what the problem was, but instead of having a gunsmith fix them, they took a cutting torch to them and dumped them in Sitka Sound. Your tax dollars at work.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Default Buy from someone starving

Stainless Winchester 375 H&H, muzzle brake, special stock, Leupold variable scope, case,
    40 rounds of loaded bullets, 2 boxes unloaded, dyes, all for 350 real American pesos.

All animals (black and grizzly, moose, and bunches of caribou) collapse and die instantaneously upon impact. The only movement is down toward earth, no forward or sideways motion. Helps when you want the moose to die on dry land.

Most accurate gun in the arsenal, kicks less than the 300 WinMag thunderstick.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Default Cuz...

..it kills stuff reeeal dead.

Thumbs up

I got my 375 H&H because ti was a good deal and I had been unable to find a 416 Rigby for a steal so I compromised with myself. Never looked back on that decision and love shooting it. Think I have put more rounds down range with that 375 in the past 4 years than any of my others rifles including my 22 LR.

So far it has only put the finishing touch on my wife's black bear and one moose. This fall it will be on Kodiak though for my brown bear hunt.

Default why the 375

I thought about this thread and that got me to get my 375 H&H
    out of the safe.

It is such a fun gun to handle and it comes up perfectly every time.

As I held it I started having memories.

It started life as a Sako Mannlicher with a 20 inch barrel and held 5 rounds and was blued. I thought at the time this is the perfect in the brush rifle.

I replaced the front site ( When it broke on a moose hunt)

I replaced the stock ( when my son broke it with a 4 wheeler)

I had Black T refinish it in two tone Black/Green ( when after a snowy and rainy moose season it rusted up)

I put a scope on it( when I couldn't see the peep very well)

I put a recoil pad ( trap dude with sparkles ) When it kicked too bad.

Then I thought how I killed my first big game animal in Alaska with it a black bear.

I remembered my son shoot his first black bear with it when he was 12 using down loaded 235 grain bullets. How he really wanted to use 300 grainers.

Then the many moose , caribou, and bear hunts it's been on. Always doing it's job. It has been a comfort when angry grizzlies have been woofing and always functiuoned perfectly.

I was going to sell it and realized this has been in the family for 14 years and I still just really enjoy it. I need to use it more and pass it on to another generation in my family .

So I just wanted to show a picture of the rifle that has made memories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A really sweet deal.

I kinda have a Ruger #1 in .375 on my list, but I also have a CD Mauser action that I intend on turning into a 9.3x62 Mauser as soon as I order up a barrel and stock for it. So it would make getting a .375 unnecessary.
    Now what ?

Default .375HH, still working hard way downrange...

Some comparison numbers for velocity/energy downrange: .375HH vs .45/70 (& .338WM) for perspective (Reference: data quoted from: http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table2.htm):

For .375 H&H Mag:

At 200 yds: 2170/2810 (270PSP), 1973/2592 (300RN)
    At 300 yds: 1920/2220 (270PSP), 1717/1964 (300RN)

For .45/70:
    At 200 yds: 1650/1815 (300HP), 1720/2298 (350FP)
    At 300 yds: 1430/1355 (300HP), 1397/1516 (350FP)

For .338 WM:
    At 200 yds: 2375/2505 (200PSP), 2449/2996 (225SP), 2300/2925 (250NP)
    At 300 yds: 2110/1977 (200PSP), 2232/2489(225SP), 2120/2505 (250NP)

And trajectory out to 200, 300 yds surprising to me:
    http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/375_h_h.html

methinks I smell an engineering opportunity here for Hornady to make a grizzler bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag. Good gosh the rifle certainly has enough power for most earth animals, it seems from all my reading here and other places that it just doesnt have enough bullet...
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Butt getting sore from sitting on any a bunch $20s in my wallet which were spent on ammo.

My wife bought mine as a birthday present. She asked her dad what she should get that would kill moose and big bears. He told her the .375HH.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast