Thread: Boat Battery Charger

Default Boat Battery Charger

I have a 28 foot boat and use two batteries. A deep cell starting battery and a 4D Battery.

The boat lives in the Valdez Harbor in the summer. Can anyone suggest a battery maintainer/charger that works good when I plug into power at the dock?

The boat used to have one prior to me owning it but it was removed. I have not had battery problems "yet" however I don't want to start.

Thanks in advance.

In order to maximize your batteries' life spans and performance, I recommend one of the "smart" multi-stage (bulk, absorption and float) chargers. Some of the more popular manufacturers include Guest, Xantrex and Pro Mariner. I have a Pro mariner on my boat.

Here's a link to an example:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|985|316472&id=185438

I agree with bhollis, you want a multi-stage (bulk, absorption and float) charger. You mention you have two different type batteries (deep cell starting battery and a 4D battery). Each battery will need a difference setting for bulk, absorption and float voltage and current for maximum performance and life of the battery.

I would talk to each battery manufacture and find out what they recommend in charging there battery and see if you can find a charger to fit both batteries that is marine approved.

I would also consider going to one type of battery in the future for your boat, because of all the problems using two different batteries; after the deep cell starting battery dies.