View Poll Results: Which two would be your prefered rivers for week long trips?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • North Fork Koyukuk

2 13.33%
  • Tinayguk

3 20.00%
  • John

0 0%
  • Alatna

3 20.00%
  • Upper Noatak

10 66.67%
  • Upper Kobuk

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pick a River in Gates of the Arctic

Default Pick a River in Gates of the Arctic

A group of us are considering two separate floats on rivers in Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve this next summer.

Preliminary research has begun and I'm curious what sort of opinions are out there. We are experienced, are interested in all the side attractions (fishing, hikes, etc.), and can devote up to about 9 days per river, although 7 might be a better time fit.

If you could pick any two of these six which ones would they be and why? Is there one river out of these six that you would call a "can't miss"?

North Fork Koyukuk
    Tinayguk
    John
    Alatna
    Upper Noatak
    Upper Kobuk

Your trip timing is very important so be sure to mention that.

Alatna, email Brooks Range Aviation in Bettles. I have it planned to float from Circle Lake to Helpmejack Creek. Spending a few days hiking into the Arrigetch peaks at beginning of trip and leaving Ally canoe and other gear inside an electric fence. Fair fishing in this river I am told. Not a popular fishing river. Scenery is very high and hiking the peaks is high point.

Noatak, long and boring, depending on who you ask. I have done two lower Noatak tribs (Kelly and Kugururok). Great dolly and grayling fishing in Aug/Sept. Very remote and lots of solitude. Well, before hunters get up there in Sept. Contact Jared of Hageland Aviation in Kotz or Jim Kincaid at www.alaskaonyourown.com these are the two guys in Kotz to fly with.

Kobuk, got it planned and will do in mid/late August with a focus on flyfishing for sheefish. Talk to Brooks Range Aviation about this as well. Have them drop you at Lake Minakakosa and take Beaver Creek to the Kobuk, then float down 80 or so miles to the village of Kobuk. This allows you to miss the upper and lower canyon (class III/IV) that you would enter if starting the trip off at Walker Lake as many do.

John and N. Fork Koyukuk are not remote enough to get my interest. Talked to some folks that did them, saw some pics, never gave it much thought after that. Very poor fishing, good hiking, that is most of what I recall.

PM me if you want any additional info. Happy to share what I can that may help. The wife and I float a different river each year and it is a great way to see Alaska. One suggestion, give thought to doing one trip and extend the time. Perhaps the Kobuk or Alatna for 14 days, that is what I would do. The logistics and bush fees make doing two trips a pain. For some of the rivers you mentioned, you will be paying a lot of money to get flown in/out with gear. Then renting boats, commercial airlines, etc... I would take one very nice long trip myself. Food for thought at any rate.

Some assorted pics from our float trips...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/

-Dan

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

My run times are pretty tight...long story...and I agree with you and definitely wish I had more time.

I have the same sort of trips on the Alatna and Kobuk in mind.

Another variation we have in mind might be a Tinayguk-North Fork Koyukuk trip to add to the wilderness experience versus a straight shot down the NF. I've heard the same sort of stuff about the NF and the John.

Thanks for your input. We've got a lot of pondering to do.

We were planning one trip for around the solstice (NF, John or Alatna?) and then the second for the end of August (Kobuk, Noatak, or the Alatna here?).

Not sure about June 21st, maybe Alatna. Research that. All my planning is around my timing of late August. Judy at Brooks Range is who I would ask. I think it would be great and the weather for hiking would be nice. Maybe some bugs by then, perhaps worse a bit later. Google Arrigetch Peaks. Email me and discuss this further if you want. I will send my email address in a visitor message since you can't send private messages yet.

For your August trip, the Kobuk would be great. Mid/late August is when I will be going. Great fishing, few (if any) bugs, some fall color, maybe some bou, great time to go.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default NF

I did the north fork last summer. Early July. I live in Alaska so driving to cold foot saved me alot of money. In 10 days we never saw anouther person. No signs of people. No airplanes below 10000ft. It was Very remote feeling. See my write up here. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?t=61648e

the Tinayguk is almost impossable to get into now (no place to land). The Alatna I have been told is slow with alot of upriver winds. I think the John is the flight corridor for all the aircraft flying back and forth to the north slope.

Dam, nice pictures. I had forgot about that trip report. Makes me think twice about floating that river. Looks beautiful from the areas you hiked up to.

That was a great trip report. Thanks for posting that.

It looks like I'll be on the Alatna the week of solstice and the upper kobuk during the second half of august. I may have to hit the John, too, but we'll see.

The Tinayguk is on the table for next summer. It sounds like I'll have the option to either find a supercub that will drop me off or possibly walk in from Anaktuvak Pass and then float on to Bettles.

Default Tinayguk

The Tinayguk is a really fun float, but a bit shallow and is pretty hard to get to - there is no good place to land apparently. I floated it in a packraft last summer and it was a blast - very scenic.