Default canoe paddles

im in the market for a new paddle, this is what im looking for:
    pear shaped handle
    beavertail/tulip blade
    bent shaft
    carbonfiber and wood
    not over 20oz
    not quite certain on 10,12 or 14 degree bend or double bend or single

any pointers on the degree or anything else, what sort of paddles do some of you folks use.

Default paddles

What Brands are you looking @?
    In wood, I like this paddle from Sawyer. I am the Dealer for Sawyer paddles on the Kenai.

Manta (MBDS)

Effortlessly gliding through the water, like the unmistakable image of its namesake, Sawyer’s Manta furnishes a natural answer for the serious or recreational paddler. The Manta’s double bend shaft eases the flex on the lower wrist while the "catch" of the double scoop dihedral blade delivers more of your power to the water. Whether paddling across an ocean channel in an outrigger or cruising through your favorite chain of lakes, the Manta offers a powerful solution. Shaft Dim: 1 1/8" x 1 1/4" Outrigger style, dual bend. Blade Dim: 8 3/4" x 20" carved double scoop teardrop w/dihedral face. Grip Dim: 1 1/4"" x 4" thumb notched HOT DOG ‘T’. Avg. Wt: 23 oz.

It has the T-style handle which does not fit your critia, buy I like this paddle. I have carbon Paddles for my Kayaks, but have not used them for the Canoes. This paddle Weighs 23 oz which is a bit heavier than what you are looking for..
    I will keep looking though, and ask Sawyer if they have what you are looking for
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default a little lighter

this is the single bend in about 15 degrees but still in wood. It may be closer to what you are looking for, as it weighs 19 to 20 oz.
    Max

This is still in the Manta series.

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default differences

what are the differences in performance with double bent paddles and single bend, does more of a degree in bend cause a weakness in paddle? Thanks

Default ergonomics

You will gain power as your arms will be in position to take advantage of your ergonomic power. If you have tried a Ergonomic snow shovel, you can see the benifits right away in that the design places your arms and back in a more powerful attitude, this increases the amount you can lift with the shovel with less strain on your back.
    The idea is the same with the paddle, the straight shaft makes you bend your arms into a place that is not the most powerful, or comfortable.
    The ergonomic paddles should give a person more power, and increase the strokes before you get tired..
    I know that the first time I tried one, I was surprised that I was able to keep my arms in the power stroke position and then coil my body in a twist from my hip and shoulders and dig in without needing to pull with my arms. As you know, the best and strongest strokes come from coiling your body like a spring and then dipping the paddle into the water and then releasing your coiled body thru the stroke to complete the stroke.
    this way your arms are just bracing the paddle rather than using arm strength in the stroke.
    In a perfect paddling world it should work that way..
    I spend a little time explaining this coiling method with folks, but most are not able to apply this thought until they settle down and practice.
    If you use the Ergonomic paddle with only your arms, it may not be of much benifit..
    just my .02 worth
    max

Take a look at "Performance Canoe Paddles". This review is from Canoe & Kayak magazine. The paddles are all very light in weight, most under 20 oz. Some are double bends.

I have an older, wooden single-bend paddle from Bending Branches and like it a lot. FWIW, I've held and sold (but not used) the Mitchell double-bend Leader, 19 oz., which the review rightly describes: "This beautiful paddle feels lovely in the hands and has nice ergonomic efficiency." If I had the money, the Leader would be high on my list. Everyone I've sold one to loved it.

Default nice paddles/from a boat?

Nice looking paddles. Anyone have a specific suggestion for paddling a river boat (manuevering, actually) while floating down a river? We will be standing, so we need long ones. We did this a few years ago w/ some straight paddles like this (HUGE heads) but I don't know where to get them or if a bent one might be better. Suggestions? Thnx. j

Ah, probably should have made this clear in my first post. EDIT: And should probably label explicitly what follows as my personal opinion, not meant to be represented as divine guidance.

Bent shaft paddles are favored for forward propulsion on flat water where turns aren't a big issue.

Straight shaft paddles are favored (1) for turns on moving water, (2) by paddlers who need versatility for both flat and moving, and (3) by traditionalists on flat water who haven't tried a bent shaft.

If you're looking specifically for a paddle for moving water, you want a straight shaft paddle with a T-grip to facilitate turning the paddle with your hands.

When sizing a bent shaft, you will typically choose a shorter shaft length than you will with a straight shaft. If you don't know how to do this, Mitchell Paddles has some tips on their site, as will many other paddle manufacturers.

Default paddles

I've been looking myself and found a place in Minnesota called Whiskeyjack paddles. They are beautiful paddles and quite affordable. They are made in Duluth I believe. They are made with red cedar which makes them a really nice dark paddle.

bucket brigade, you are one sick, thoughtless person, posting a link to those paddles right after I sent in my refund-claiming tax return. Not least because I was born in Duluth, grew up paddling in the BWCA, and recognize the maker's vendors as people who truly understand wilderness paddling and its demands.

Hadn't heard of Whiskeyjack Paddles before -- won't forget them soon.