Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Loading For 45-70 Govt

Default Hand Loading For 45-70 Govt

I have never reloaded straight cases. Looking for tips on reloading for my Marlin Guide Gun it has an 18inch barrel.

One thing I'm uncertain about is the expander die. Do I have to bell the case for all bullets or is this just for lead cast bullets.

Does the crimping process size the bell back tight against the bullet??

Thanks in advance, I know we have some knowledge on the forum that can help me out.

Steve

I bell the mouth of my cases slightly for all bullets Cast or otherwise. I like jacketed bullets for my leverguns, not that I haven't tried cast bullets or never use them, but I like a tough 350 or 400 grain jacketed bullet so I can drive the velocity up higher without worrying about leading. As for powder, I normally use 3031 for lighter bullets and loads, like the 300gr Speer that my girlfriend is going to use spring bear hunting over bait, and for the max loads with heavier bullets I use 4198. Of course that may just be becaause I have a large amount of 3031 that I got for free.

Be careful when seating bullets on max charges and compressed loads, if your die isn't perfectly set up you will wrinkle th case when you crimp. If you are going to load alot of heavy recoiling max loads the Lee factory crimp die is a cheap route to a stouter crimp.

I'm sure others have more experience than me with this cartridge but this is what works for me. Have fun, stay safe, and good luck.

Thanks Kid,

Great info, I have a Lee Crimp Die on order for it and my 375 H&H. I have been doing a lot of research into loading for both and many reloaders have said that the Lee Crimp Die is the ticket for keeping bullets in place with big bore recoil.

Going to try some of the Hornaday 325gr Leverevoltions for black bear and was thinking something in the 400gr for more punch.

I use Starline brass, Cast Performance 405gr WFGNC, a healthy charge of H4198, Fed 210 primers, and a Lee Factory crimp. I called Cast Performance for load data and his max data was way to hot for a GG. I kept the charges close to his minimum and I clocked my load at 1900fps on the Chronograph.

Belling the case mouth on the 45/70 with Redding expander die was different than, lets say, 44 mag or 45ACP. I really had to screw down the expander ball to sufficiently bell the case mouth on the 45/70.

Otherwise loading for the 45/70 has been relatively simple.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Going to try some of the Hornaday 325gr Leverevoltions for black bear and was thinking something in the 400gr for more punch.
    Keep your shorter Hornaday brass separate from "standard" 45/70. The shorter brass will cause higher pressure compared to "standard" 45/70.
    I don't know if there is enough difference to really matter. But something to keep in mind.

Maybe Murphy will chime in.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Thank you sir,I appreciate the tip. As always safety first. I have some regular brass, just needed the shorter Hornaday brass specifically for the Leverevolution bullets.

Steve

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=1324 more here, +1 to Murphy, said. Mine are old school, 50 grn.s IMR 3031, 400 grn, speer. crimp them good,http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php Alot here also.

Default load data

Hey Steve,
    I have some data at the house I will post later tonight. I have reloaded for mine guide gun quite a bit.
    Mostly 430grn hard cast bullets.
    I use the RCBS set up with the same dies. Took me a few tries to get the crimp set like I wanted it. But in the end all turned out great and the rounds shot well.
    Am about to buy some 400grn hard cast for it.
    Thanks again for the info the other day.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Thanks Kid,

Great info, I have a Lee Crimp Die on order for it and my 375 H&H. I have been doing a lot of research into loading for both and many reloaders have said that the Lee Crimp Die is the ticket for keeping bullets in place with big bore recoil.

I'm doing the next "phone book test" part 2 on friday the 19th and i'm going to shoot the hornaday "lip stick " round and will post the results. This time the books are a little wetter as I made it with one less book...the 325's come out my tube @2050fps
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

You guys ROCK, thanks for all the great info so far.

Steve

I'll second
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
    A lifetime of info available there.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thumbs up 350gr

The Hornady 350gr FN with Reloader 7 @ 51.8 and Fed 210M primers in WW brass.........will give you 2000 FPS in the 45-70 Guide Gun and was great on bear........the 400 gr are hard on the shoulder with recoil.

This is my load........I considerer it MAX or close to it!

Default 350

I really like the hornady 350 round nose as well, Im not at home so dont have my loads handy, but in my guide gun they will cloverleaf at 100 yards. I also cast my own, using lyman mould #457193 plain base bullet. I load this bullet to aprox 1200 FPS and if cast hard you better put a few extra phone books in the box if you want to recover those bullets! They will penetrate! Accurate too. Lee crimp every bullet.

Default .45/70 reloading tips

As I read the other good tips, something I tought I would add is that I seat and crimp separately. That way, if you have a long case mixed in, you don't have to buckle the case before you find it.
    It always seemed like a lot of bother, but the more I load, the more I want to break it up into smaller steps to avoid headaches.
    I pretty much treat all my loading that way.
    Just FYI.
    Bryan

I'm with Vance on the Marlin site. It is the go to place for all that wich is Marlin. I load for the 450 Marlin but that is like the short cousin of the 45/70. IMR3031, H322 seem to be what my 1895 likes. The 350 gr Hrndy and my next test will be with 405gr Oregon gas check bullets. I love my Lee Crimp dies and use them on all my reloads so recommend them. As the others have posted slight bell in the case mouth. You can push them bullets probably faster than you want to feel it on your end Have fun.

Default my loads

I use 47grn of R7 behind a 430grn hard cast bullet for my hand loads. I have only really carried the gun for the need to shoot up close and personal if necessary. That's the reason I load the heavy rounds.
    They do pack a big punch though.

Susitna, I too use the 50 grains of 3031 with the Speer bullet. I've been using it since the early 80s and it shoots wonderfully. Have tried almost every combination but always come back to that load. Jim

Lee Factory crimp die is the way to go or get another seat/crimp die and seat in one step, crimp in seperate step. Consider Hodgdon Benchmark, it is one of the extreame powders so it is not affected by tempratures, which is a big deal up here if you develop your load in the winter and then find out it is hotter than expected in summer. Velocities do not vary much at all between temps, keeping you point of impact the same.
    RCBS 45-405 FPgc, water dropped WW, CCI BR-2, 55grs benchmark, it is book min, but will give you right at 1950 from guide gun. It will post 1" at 100yds all day long. It is a stout load, dont have your tounge hanging out when you pull the trigger! I use mixed brass but find that Starline is the most durable. I usally trim all brass when new and after each loading (if needed), this will give most consistant crimp. I use a pretty heavy crimp also.
    Check out: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ the best site I have found for cast bullet information, and a group of really good people.
    Mike

+1 To Jim,You and i agree, on that one, i remember different threads we pop up time to time with that load. I guess we are just old school.Big guns shoot big bullets,And we try not to make something that it isn,t. I mean if they wanted a gun that shoots 300-350 grn, bullets +2200 and up they should buy a different gun,458. comes to mind. Big and slow that,s the way to go. Don,t get to hooked up on this speed thing, Many things have been written about the faster they go[bullets] the faster they stop. Check out http://www.garrettcartridges.com/ site they can explain it better than me.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp
    Got timed out above thread HAD some kind of error on it, try this one instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast