Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Kill destribution

Default Road Kill destribution

Might as well start this one and get some fact's if there are people on here that can provide them.

How does your hardship's put you before another on the list? Do you need to go to said church to be on the list?

Enlighten me.

Wink

The regs say what they say. Troopers do it all ways. Talk to your local Trooper. Some of them will just call you, if you give them your number. Yes, you are supposed to be a charitable org to qualify. Don't always work that way though.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default no church required...

at least down here. i know it is handled differently from region to region, but as far as i know anyone can get on the list here, and generally they call folks by proximity to the kill site.
    the list is "cleared" at the end of every moose season, so if you want to stay on you have to sign up again.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Rockskipper,

I know a few individuals that sign up here in Delta and frequently get called.....we usually have more road kills than folks to retrieve the moose......some folks are choosy about weather or darkness etc....give it a try.

I was living in Cantwell several years ago and got on the list we had more moose that year than we've ever had. We ate good and our dogs ate good that year. You do have to get when they call or you probably won't get called again. Be willing to do the 3am 40 below thing.
    Chuck

It totally depends on the area you live. On the Kenai Peninsula, you get on the list and they call you when they have a moose and go down the list until they find someone. In Anchorage, it all goes to charities. They have people/groups who volunteer to come out and salvage the moose and get it to whatever charity gets it.

As others have said, get in touch with the local Troopers and they should be able to direct you to the local system.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The regs say what they say. Troopers do it all ways. Talk to your local Trooper. Some of them will just call you, if you give them your number. Yes, you are supposed to be a charitable org to qualify. Don't always work that way though.
    Road kill meat is a scam. I've been on all sides. I've seen "charitable organizations" get meat and distribute it to whomever they wished, I've been on a church committee harvesting meat (and trying to get "volunteers" to work in the middle of the night for free), and I'm currently on the trapper's road kill list (getting all kinds of calls to get good meat off the road because the charitable organizations can't get volunteers to harvest and donate the meat). It was a bad idea gone bad. The old days where there was just a list anybody could get on was the most efficient and fair.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by samsoniam View Post
    Road kill meat is a scam. I've been on all sides. I've seen "charitable organizations" get meat and distribute it to whomever they wished, I've been on a church committee harvesting meat (and trying to get "volunteers" to work in the middle of the night for free), and I'm currently on the trapper's road kill list (getting all kinds of calls to get good meat off the road because the charitable organizations can't get volunteers to harvest and donate the meat). It was a bad idea gone bad. The old days where there was just a list anybody could get on was the most efficient and fair.
    I witnessed three roadkills this year, where the calls were made, but ravens and foxes made it to the carcass before the butcher's.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default I agree with Samson...

I have seen Church Groups here in the Valley just give it away to friends and relatives. Too much favoratism. The old way of individual families signing up was the best.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Whoever it was who demanded that road kill meat go to "charitible organizations" should be the one getting the phone calls and rousting up the "free" labor. I'd like to see how he/she gets it done, cause I sure can't find people willing to work all kinds of hours on the side of the road at short notice for free.

The reason that I started this thread was of some of my experiances.

My first time was 30 year's ago at a place 30 mile's north of Delta, used to be the Richardson Roadhouse.

Was sitting outside and watching this cow in the ditch with a couple of buddy's, when we heard the truck coming down Tenderfoot, he had the jake brake going and when he got to the bottom he let loose and was getting a full head of steam. The thing that happened next was something you don't very often see as a bystander. We saw the moose start to climb up on the highway, and he must have seen it at the same time, because he locked up all brake's at the same time. The black mark's stretched out for over a hunderd yard's, and even then when he hit her it lifted her over 8" in the air and she did'nt hit the ground again for almost 100'. ( I don't know what kinda load he had, it must have been heavy tho)

Anyway it did'nt kill her, and we had a rifle there to finish the job. ( I remember the driver getting out and saying "dangit that's 2 this year" messed up his truck pretty bad.) Well all my so called buddy's said they have never cleaned a moose before, so gulable me set out to do the task, one of the worst I have ever cleaned, Not only were all the ribs broken and punched the stomach, she was pregant.

The fish and game came out with a church group about the time I had it quartered and said everthing was fine. I asked what I could get off it and was told you will have to go to the church and get some meat from there.

You know what I got off that moose? lol I got a heart at the place of death, and I got 2 pound's of hambuger from the chruch.

I blieve they have changed it since then. I was called again n about 90 and it was -40 at 2:00 in the morning by a church group and said no, then the following year the trooppers called me and said if I would go out and get this one I could keep it. Well I got a buddy to go out with me and we were looking for this "big cow" and did'nt see it anywhere. Started driving down in the ditch and foun this calf that probably was'nt 200 lb's, The funny thing about it was before I got there someone got there before I did and wacked off a hind quarter. I ended up giving the moose to my buddy for his time.

The part of free labor is a big point here, I can see where the church's are going to put the meat in the right hand's, but the guy that does the dirty deed has a right also ( I'M THINKING HALF)

Default So...

I'm thinking it should go back to each family on the list. If not, we are just giving to Church groups that respond, rather to all the general public. A single family that shows up enjoys their labor. The chuch group enjoys their labor but what about the Welfare Mom's that need some help? Or the handicapped guy or gal that could use some meat? Unless you can convince the Churches to pass it along, it is quite a narrow distribution list, IMO
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The chuch group enjoys their labor but what about the Welfare Mom's that need some help? Or the handicapped guy or gal that could use some meat? Unless you can convince the Churches to pass it along, it is quite a narrow distribution list, IMO
    That's precisely who the church is supposed to give it to. In Mat-Su, several churches participate in the work and the meat goes to the Food Pantry at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. From there it is distributed to people in need. I'm not sure who gets the meat for Bean's Cafe (they have enough labor there to do the job, if they're not drunk). Challenge Alaska is supposed to be giving meat to handicapped people. But, again, rounding up free labor at the spur of the moment to work in the dark and cold for free ain't easy. Again, I'd like to see the bleeding heart that proposed this work out the difficult details. It's easy to see what the right thing to do is, but it's often not easy to actually do it.

Default It is soppose to happen that way but...

I have a brother in law that is hooked up to two churches and he takes 75% of the salvaged meat. Where is the Fairness in that? There is not enough oversight to this program, sorry to say. Just like the Potlatch, but that is another thread. It was OK in first thought but it is not followed or has an oversight factor of ZERO. TO DPS, it is just like calling a wrecker but no more after that. Fish and Game does no follow up or any other agency for that matter.
    I have seen the abuse but nothing ever changes

down here you are supposed to give 1/2 back to the troopers to be given to someone who couldn't get it themselves, single mom, handicap, etc...
    if the animal is a small one sometimes they will let the salvager keep it all.
    i have been "in" on half a dozen roadkills over the years, none involved and organizations at all. most of my friends know that they can call me and i will come help them whatever the time of day (or night).
    years when we don't get a moose we will "co-op" on the roadkill list (just like the bison co-op thread) with two other families....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

thewhop2000:

Now we are getting to the meat of the problem.

If a person not afilated with the chruch is called out to do the dirty work, at anytime of night or weather condition's, what is he entitaled to?

I know my experiance's have left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'd like to se that the person that does the work get's his fair share.

i have happened on a few fresh vehicle moose kills where someone nearby had helped themself to a quarter or two voluntarily. frankly this makes the most sense to me.

if it were legal to do then locals might just help themselves more, and "the list" wouldn't have to be used in every case. of course folks would have to finish the job and not just leave it there. but maybe take care of the whole thing if it were legal to salvage the meat.people would still just snag a few quarters and go. but this would help take care of some animals (not the -40 ones). nothing like local food though.

of course if they legalized this would people start hunting with their vehicles for dinner? sure don't think I'd be going after moose with my rig.

If you hit a ptarmigan with your vehicle is it legal to salvage the meat for yourself? do we have to report roadkill ptarmigan to the troopers?

Default Rockskipper, I agree

But it seems like the Church list should include giving out to those that are unfortunate, not just those that show up. Go out and help salvage under the guise of a non- profit and then keep 75 %? That church or Non-profit just becomes another org. that uses it status for self betterment, just for showing up cause you didn't get a moose during the regular season? I can't stomach that under the guise of being a "CHURCH". It needs to go back to some sort of oversight and distribution network that includes those that are in need.
    I'm sure that a lot of churches do look out for their more needy families but watching my Shisty bro in law in action is enough to make me sick. And there is not a law that can remedy that, as of now.
    First come. first serve and I will attach 2 inch ramming frames on the front of all my trucks, a little road hunting? Yea, right

Just in case someone here does'nt know, you are not allowed to finish off a moose that has been hit by a vehicle. I witnessed a guy put one out of it's misery a few years ago, then I called troopers. They were more interested in who put it down than where it was at. They wanted me to give them the liscense plate number of this guy. They wanted to charge him with hunting out of season. So you are supposed to watch an animal suffer, trying to stand up on broken legs etc. They did'nt get any more info from me after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhemi View Post
    Just in case someone here does'nt know, you are not allowed to finish off a moose that has been hit by a vehicle. I witnessed a guy put one out of it's misery a few years ago, then I called troopers. They were more interested in who put it down than where it was at. They wanted me to give them the liscense plate number of this guy. They wanted to charge him with hunting out of season. So you are supposed to watch an animal suffer, trying to stand up on broken legs etc. They did'nt get any more info from me after that.
    I would certainly just smile and say well I'll see you in court.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast