Thread: Hb 267

Default Hb 267

They are trying to pass HB 267 again, allowing snow machine use and 5 bou per non resident off the Haul Road. All, Im an avid hunter, hunting 3 to 4 species here in Alaska every year, and this bill is just bad. First we have a two growing healthy herds, For most people 2 bou should be plenty especially for non residents. Take 10 months of hunting pressure and after a few years we will be in another intensive management situation. I believe in conservation and for future use, what we have in these areas is working well, so lets not screw it. From my limited research the local AC's and majority of the local residents are apposed to it and still Al Barrette wrote a letter from the BOG supporting the bill. I guess this is one of the reasons, conseratives patriot nuts had me on there greenie list.

Terry

Couldn't agree more Terry. Down with this bill!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Not just the management part but I think this might increase traffic on an already very dangerous road. There aren't that many places to park on that road already, now throw in a bunch of pickups hauling snowmachine trailers. I think this could be a dangerous situation.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

it is not too late to contact your representative to tell them you oppose barrettes appointment to the BOG as well as opposing the bill.

Call in to testify on bill 267

When: Meeting starts at 11:30 am

Where: House Transportation Subcommittee Hearing on HB 267

Call In Number: (877) 763-5073

It is important that you call about 30 minutes early (11 am) so you can get your name on the list – just put your phone on speaker phone until you hear them call your name.

HB 267 wants to authorize snowmobile use within the haul rode 5 mile closed corridor. Hunters can hunt using a snow machine and rifle outside the 5 mile corridor and then “stage” the animals at the border using a sled, a dog team, or a plane to retrieve the animals.

Talking Points:

· No fiscal estimate of cost to DOT / Troopers / Infrastructure along the road to deal with snow machine traffic;
    · DOT stated they did not have the ability to cope with increased traffic – especially during winter ( nowhere for them to park);
    · Significant local resident and Alaska Native opposition;
    · Nullifies fundamental agreements when the haul road was authorized;
    · No trash, toilet, emergency services, gas stations, or trooper enforcement available along the haul road;
    · Significant safety issue of recreational snow machine traffic, both trucks and snowmachines, on the Haul Rd. during ice covered winters and when heavy loaded oil field transport trucks are using the road – during the winter this is a “commercial” access road;
    · No long or short range Central Alaska Caribou Herd (CACH) management plan – how can you consider such an significant liberalization of access without one?
    · CACH migration follows the haul road corridor;
    · CACH migrations to the calving grounds occurs during the most desirable snowmobile dates – late spring. Significant impacts are inevitable. In addition, the herd could be displaced from preferred winter habitat which could impact the herds viability;
    · No regional stakeholder group has been formed to discuss the issue and to make recommendations;
    · The BOG just liberalized the CACH harvest from two to five caribou in GMU 26 outside the haul road corridor;
    · The issue is about hunting because the proponents of the bill asked the Board of Game to approve a letter of support in early March – which they did;
    · The BOG did not publicly notice their intent to discuss HB 267 at the March meeting nor did they hear any public testimony regarding the bill prior to approving the letter of support – Ben Grussendorf, BOG Member and former Legislature during the negotiations for the Haul Rd., strongly opposed the letter;
    · Hunting – trapping – fishing – and recreational snowmobile use IS ALLOWED outside the 5 mile corridor;
    · The Haul Road is an important “walk” in hunting opportunity for a wide range of Alaskan’s that do not want to hunt in areas with ORV’s;
    · Significant impact to the fragile arctic ecosystem – windblown areas with little snow cover are extensive in this region;
    · Increasing non local trapping opportunity may impact local subsistence opportunity. No formal evaluation has been made on the proposed impact to local subsistence hunting and trapping opportunity;

If possible, it is very important for you so write your testimony out and send it to the committee by 9 AM tomorrow. If you can’t testify you can certainly still send in your comments. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you submit your comments ATT: HB 267
    Representative_Kyle_Johansen@legis.state.ak.us

Representative_Cathy_Munoz@legis.state.ak.us

Representative_Tammie_Wilson@legis.state.ak.us

Representative_Max_Gruenberg@legis.state.ak.us

Representative_Pete_Peterson@legis.state.ak.us

Representative_Peggy_Wilson@legis.state.ak.us

Representative_Craig_Johnson@legis.state.ak.us
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave thanks for all the info. Wish we could of got this out earlier.

Terry

Just sent some e-mails

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post

HB 267 wants to authorize snowmobile use within the haul rode 5 mile closed corridor. Hunters can hunt using a snow machine and rifle outside the 5 mile corridor and then “stage” the animals at the border using a sled, a dog team, or a plane to retrieve the animals.

Talking Points:

·
    · Significant local resident and Alaska Native opposition;
    ·
    · No trash, toilet, emergency services, gas stations, or trooper enforcement available along the haul road;
    ·
    · No long or short range Central Alaska Caribou Herd (CACH) management plan – how can you consider such an significant liberalization of access without one?
    ·
    · No regional stakeholder group has been formed to discuss the issue and to make recommendations;
    ·
    · The issue is about hunting because the proponents of the bill asked the Board of Game to approve a letter of support in early March – which they did;
    · The BOG did not publicly notice their intent to discuss HB 267 at the March meeting nor did they hear any public testimony regarding the bill prior to approving the letter of support – Ben Grussendorf, BOG Member and former Legislature during the negotiations for the Haul Rd., strongly opposed the letter;
    ·
    · Significant impact to the fragile arctic ecosystem – windblown areas with little snow cover are extensive in this region;
    · Increasing non local trapping opportunity may impact local subsistence opportunity. No formal evaluation has been made on the proposed impact to local subsistence hunting and trapping opportunity;
    The above quotes are EXACTLY why ABHA is the wrong group to represent us hunters.

Dave, since when does RACE belong in state wildlife management. Thank You for dissing the credibility of non natives.

Large portions of many state roads have no trash, toilet, etc. service, yet anyone can snowmobile along those roads.

Which other bou herds have long or short range plans, Dave? How can anyone THINK they can PLAN management of a wandering animal like bou? So many factors with them are beyond our control.

No regional stakeholder group, Dave? Let's see..............wouldn't the AC or AC's for that region, as well as RAC's be stakeholders?

Ben Grusendorf opposes anything that might kill more animals.

Fragile ecosystem? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............heck, let's just ban snogo's altogether. Plenty of EXACTLY the same "fragile ecosystem" where I live. Haven't heard alot of complaints about our unlimited access. As a matter of fact, traditional use access, of which a snogo is...........is regularly demanded by locals.

Your last talking point REALLY bugs me. Almost this whole state, maybe the whole state, is accessible to ANYONE who wants to use the land as a trapper. Rarely is any legal preferance given to one group or another.............Nat. Park land aside. To use existing users as a reason to deny access to other users really goes beyond anything this state finds acceptable amongst healthy wildlife populations. You didn't say, "impact local subsistence "USERS". You said "subsistence opportunity". So in other words, even if few or no locals are using the area, impacting opportunity deems it wise to keep non locals out!
    I sure hope Mark Richards is reading this. I hope he starts packing up soon. His presence on the Kandik is unreasonably impacting "subsistence opportunity" for those who were already there when he arrived. Heck Dave, maybe you should leave Homer too. I'm wondering what impact your transporter activities are having on local "subsistence opportunity"?
    Let's see, how can I phrase this without raising the ire of the mods...................? Crackpot ideas like that last one are much of the reason I joined the local AC and RAC here.

Perhaps you could tell us, Dave, just how many folks are ALREADY allowed to use snogo's up there? Anyone who lives along the road, any villages near by, are all allowed to fully access the country outside the corridor with motorized vehicles.

Do I read your writing correctly.............the actual hunting, trapping must occur outside the corridor? Dead animals and products(furs) would have to be transported thru the corridor non motorized?
    Does anyone really believe that will significantly increase winter use of the area?
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-17-2010 at 11:35. Reason: fixing quote box
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the links and "talking points". I will formulate my contribution to the legislature tonight.

MT,
    Thank You for rationally thinking this through and posting your thoughts. I agree 100%.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Race, my foot.

"Nullifies fundamental agreements when the haul road was authorized." True.

Tell me you fellows missed this part of the agreement when the corridors were allowed to pass through in the first place ???
    Were you not around then or just not tuned in to that process?

Unbelievable. Now we go back on our word??

The CACH has not met it's harvest quota in years and I highly doubt that you will see the inundation of winter hunt snow-go traffic that some of you are worried about. It is simply a long cold mostly dark trip and few Alaskans have the equipment to do it. The biggest bennefactor from this would likely be Alaska Tent and Tarp as they would sell a few more arctic ovens each year. As long as there is the snow cover to protect the habitat then I am for opening this up. It may be worthwhile from a safety standpoint to limit the winter access to several parking areas rather than having rigs lined up along the road but beyond that I see no reason to restrict sleds from the dalton corridor.