Thread: recent training on "hold"

Default recent training on "hold"

well folks things are starting to click for my pup Banks. For the past week or so we've been working on "hold" and he has done pretty good for the most part. We had some hicks up when we started...hair standing up on his back...bugging away from me...and flat out spitting it out. A week later he is doing great. I'm able to walk a circle around him and he'll stay stationary and follow me with his head.

recently we've been working on hold while walking. During the first session he would spit it out when we would turn 180 degrees...but now we can do figure 8's and go up and down the ramp to the table! He stumbles when I tell him to sit then call him to me because he'll spin to heel and knock the item on my knee. I give him a light tap under the chin and tell him "hold" then continue to praise him.

today we made the transition to a frozen bird and boy was he fired up. His ears were perked up and I could tell he was having a blast...check out the picture

Cool !! looks good !!
    Try sitting remotely while holding. Walk a short ways.. then call him to you. At this level I don't try to get them to do a heel..hold position. When they come up I just do a front sit. Easier for them. As things go along I will require them to come to the finished delivery position.
    You aren't too far from being able to toss out a bumper and requiring him to hold and deliver.
    Stay at it.

As far as FF. The easy part is just about over. Then the "fetch" part starts coming in.

I'm going to take a page out of your book and change to a front sit. I'm sure this change will be a good one for both of us.

We were actually doing some remote sits and calling him to me with some distractions...not intentional but I realized it after the training was over. I was walking him on the side of the house and I told him to sit. I kept walking towards the far side of the yard (where the bird coop is at) and I then I called him. He came running really fast but once he got closer to the bird coop he heard them pecking the wood / picked up their scent) and started to look at them. I gave a couple...hey pup hey pup toot toot and he worked right through the distraction. So I give Banks an A+ for working through and me a C- for not thinking about the live birds...haha

You might want to give him an intro to the ear pressure you're fixing to use by using it first on the sit command. Pinch his ear and command sit. Once he learns to turn it off, you can intro the fetch command. If he begins to anticipate the fetch command, or lunge at the bumper before being told--you can pinch on the sit command, and get him used to waiting until he's told to do something. You should be able to hold a bumper to his lips without him moving until told.
    Good luck, the fun's just beginning.

Default dog won't "hold" just gets retrieve close

SO, I am having issues with the 8 m/o pup that loves to retrieve but when he's on the return he just drops the object within 3-6 feet of me and won't hold the object in his mouth. he's standing there waiting for the next throw. he is good at sit stay come. when he is about 10 feet out coming toward me and I command come--he'll come in a bit closer then promptly drop the bumper. I can leave him sitting in a field and walk 200 yards out of sight and he's still sitting listening/looking for the release command like he should. (We work on that alot) Any advice would be helpful.

I am having issues with the 8 m/o pup that loves to retrieve but when he's on the return he just drops the object within 3-6 feet of me and won't hold the object in his mouth.
    ROSSCOAK, My 7 m/o pup is doing the same thing drops it right at my feet wont hold it. Your best bet is stop throwing retrieves as this is reinforcing a bad habit by him continuing to do it. And do some force fetch training.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Sounds like he's telling you he's ready for force fetch. Here are a couple articles that may help & about FF without the e-collar:

part 1 - http://oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force1.html

part 2 - http://oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force2.html

Hi Richie.
    Banks is doing fine in training. I have proofed his hold with various odd items that I use. Making him heel and hold and even remote sits while hodling with a recall to the heel position. I have also done so with birds. Pigeons and duck.
    Moved out to the field and started running marks with him. He has retrieved full size mallards and delivered them to the heel position. By the way he is now two sided heeling.
    Has been in the water on non cheaty marks. Retrieving just bumpers in the water. Nothing too fancy ....trying to build up distance and confidence in the water. Will try to get him to swim across to land on the other side and then back in the water. About there in a day or two.
    FF......retrieving off the ground with ear pinch. Will gradually bring in collar pressure for "fetch"
    I ran him at the picnic test on May 2. He likes playing the game. Will run him at the NAHRA picnic test this Saturday.

WR, glad to hear Banks is coming along and enjoying the water. He's a September pup so this is the first time he has been in the water except for the puddles in the back yard.

thanks for the update,

Richie

Congrats to Richie and Banks getting a Started Retriever pass at the Interior Alaska Gun Dog Association HRC Hunt Test.
    Way to go !!!!!!
    Lots of talent in that little guy. I'd like to see him go further.

Richie, Banks is a great dog! Congrats on your pass and best wishes to you and your wife.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Banks is still going full steam ahead in everything he does. We've been working on handling and he is doing great. This little guy gives 110% and I couldn't be happier with him.

Are you running Banks in the FRC Hunt Test next weekend? Had him on some live birds recently? Good luck! He's a great dog! Don't you and your wife have a little one due any time now? Good luck on that transition as well.

Not sure if I'll be able to run him in that event due to looking for a new career. I'm transitioning out of the military so I have some interviews on the horizon. Yes, the wife and I are expecting the little one in the coming weeks so we're excited about the new addition to the family.

funny you ask about him and live birds. The other day we were coming home from dinner and one of the chukars somehow got out of the pin and just so happen to be crossing the road as we were pulling up. Of course the bird dashed into the brush for cover. I went and got banks and turned him loose. He caught the scent and started sniffing so hard he was making some funny noises. He started to get really birdy then all of a sudden the bird flushed...he jumped...missed, but continued to run after the bird into the woods. A few mins later he delivered the bird to hand...overall it was a proud moment.

Pure talented pup. He could go far in his training.

May you and your wife have a happy healthy baby.
    p.s. Hey I'll be up there this week give me a shout.

Richie, what kind of job are you looking for? What did you do in the military? You never know who may be looking to hire....
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson