Thread: any opinions on Grumans sportboat?

Default any opinions on Grumans sportboat?

i recently picked up a Gruman sportboat, it's a 17' aluminum square stern quite a bit wider than a standard width canoe & would seem a bit uncomfortable to paddle as you would have to lean or reach for every stroke, it has 2sets of oar locks & the front seat has a hole in the center of which i was told was for a sail should someone want to rig one,i also picked up in the deal 2 motors, a 5hp Mariner & a 3 1/2hp Evinrude, 2 paddles,seats w/backrests & 2 new gas cans with fuel lines not a bad package deal 800 bucks for everything. Any opinions on the pro's & cons of this particular rig? I looked up Gruman canoes & they now only offer the sportboat in a 15' model for around $2500.00.

Thumbs up 15 ft owner

i have a 1972 15 ft sportboat, and it is a great boat very stable, i run a 10 horsepower with a rock hopper, on a lift built by pete weaver, runs real shallow, I have had 3 adults and a small bull moose in mine. it rows pretty good i use regular canoe paddles when there are 2 of us in boat and if I am alone I use 9 ft oars with the oar locks.

Been on almost every waterway from North Pole to Coldfoot

a good freind of mine up around Paxson introduced me to those boats about 25 years ago

awesome boat.......... he ran a 15 HP on his

I had one, thought I didn't need it anymore, so I sold it to a freind of mine for what I paid for it

realized my error (besides selling it to him for less than half price)

so I found another one for a bargain of $800 for a boat motor and trailer

moved to a lake situation so I decided the sport boat just wasn't being utilized for what it really can do (which is almost anything) so I sold it for $900

saw one at a G-sale last fall and ALMOST had another one but......... I just am not doing what a sport boat should be doing anymore

it is a fabulous piece of equipment, don't paddle it........row it

or put a 15HP SS on it

gol dangint now I want to find one more to own before I get way too old....

Default Gruman's

are sure about the 17 ft. length I never knew they made one of that length

15 ft has been around a lot, an there is a fair amount here in Alaska,

people do like them .

SID

Predator,

Gotta agree with Sid on the length.....I never knew of a 17'.....IIRC Grumman built several boats/canoes off the same jig......the largest being a 20' double ender.....by squaring one end we then had the 19' square stern that many in this forum admire. This
    "19' freighter" was the shortened by about 4 feet to make a sport boat. All were good vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    are sure about the 17 ft. length I never knew they made one of that length

15 ft has been around a lot, an there is a fair amount here in Alaska,

people do like them .

SID
    Me too. Seen a gob of 15' Grumman sportsboats but never a 17'. Lowe also made a very close copy of the Grumman 15'. Close enough so I can't tell the difference except for the logo. Brother in-law has one. Good boat.

you guys were right it is 15' built in 1971, i was going off what the guy i bought it from told me & just to be sure i just ran out & measured it, yup 15' it just seemed quite a bit larger than my other canoe an 11' double end aluminum smoker-craft, i just love that little canoe it's gotten me on some awsome flooded timber & grain field waterfowl shooting & i'm hopeing this sportboat will be just the ticket for getting my son & i into some less pressured hunting areas. if you guys have anymore info or comments on the sportboat i'm all ears,& thanks again.

Default Gruman sportcanoe

thanks for the up date on size the only items that could improve what you got "is"

# 1 get a " lift " it will make life a lot easyer, a man in fairbanks Alaska makes an excelemt one, it is not easy to make them with out a unit to copy it from, there are cheep ones, but whem finished the one from Fairbanks is the best you will be happer with it

# 2 get a larger motor, see if you can find a good 2 cycle OMC 15 / 10 HP. same weight, an a tiller extension , [Cabelars did have the tiller handle]

# 3 a rock hopper [if you can weld you can make it ]

you got an excelemt deal good hunting

[that boat will be a cold boat]

my 2 cts
    SID

Default Sports Boats

A pretty good read on Grumman Sports Boats.

http://www.robbwhite.com/sportboat.html

Great boat. My 5 hp Honda does just fine for the displacement hull design. Tried the 10 and 15 HP evinrude ... just seem like too much HP. If i want to plane my friends and a moose i use my Lowe boat. When i want to putt along all day a single tank and enjoy the cruise ... it'll be the sportboat. Bought it new in 1972 ... and i'm not looking back.

My dad had a 15 footer w/ a johnson 15. We floated the Yukon twice and also used to troll deep creek w/ it. I swamped it twice actually. Once when I was about 12 in Seward and I used a piece of iron I found on the beach as an anchor it got all snagged in the rocks...Long story short I didn't consider the tide and used too short of a rope LOL fortunately I was by the break water w/ my dad hollering and some other boat plucked me just before she went under. The old man had to get them to troll around w/ a grapple till they hooked it. Another time I was going down Charlie River (Yukon) w/ my brother and we hit some sweepers and water rushed in over the stern and swamped it...again dad not to pleased

Default my rig

My 15 footer has a 10 horse short shaft with a rockhopper, lift was made by pete weaver and it is a sweet deal , light easy to manuever. I ended up buying a 18 ft jet boat and can put the grumman in the boat and haul it up river to run in the little shallow drainages

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    My 15 footer has a 10 horse short shaft with a rockhopper, lift was made by pete weaver and it is a sweet deal , light easy to manuever. I ended up buying a 18 ft jet boat and can put the grumman in the boat and haul it up river to run in the little shallow drainages
    hey wiso what is a rockhopper?

Default rockhopper

basically it is a peice of steel that goes in front of the prop and forms a plate underneath the prop to protect it from logs and rocks. I have nailed underwater trees and rocks with mine and since I dont lock the engine the lower unit simply hits objects and rolls right over instead of shearing pins and busting up lower unit the rockhopper takes the beating. Hope theis explains it, If not i can post a pic