Thread: Places to Shoot in Fairbanks?

Default Places to Shoot in Fairbanks?

I just recently moved to Fairbanks (I'm in the Army) and I'm looking for some low key places in or near Fairbanks to take my pistols out to. I'm aware of the indoor range on College Road and of the South Cushman and Cheena Hot Springs ranges, but I'm looking for some unofficial places that people rarely go to. Maybe some place off the Parks and/or Richardson Highway? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Flood control project

The Chena flood control project is a good place. Just make sure you go to the east side of the dike. It is a very large area so you can get away from people very easy. Just be care full because a lot of other people use the area for a lot of recreation of different kinds. If you go explore the area a little you will get a good idea about safe areas to shoot. If you go please pick up your old shell cases.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    The Chena flood control project is a good place. Just make sure you go to the east side of the dike. It is a very large area so you can get away from people very easy. Just be care full because a lot of other people use the area for a lot of recreation of different kinds. If you go explore the area a little you will get a good idea about safe areas to shoot. If you go please pick up your old shell cases.

Are you talking about the place between Eielson and Ft. Wainwright? Is there a back road you take to get down there?

Leave fairbanks towards Eielson on the Rich, drive through North Pole and continue on the Rich. As soon as you cross the flood channel you will cross some railroad tracks. Turn right on the little road immediately after the tracks. Follow that road until you can take a left. Take the left and follow it down a couple miles. You will see a creek to the left of the road (Moose Creek). Follow that road all the way to the end, there are barriers and plenty of space to turn around. There's a "range" down there. \\ You can't get lost down there because this is the only road in and only road out. It's very easy to find and there are usually some "targets" down there...

PS-when you're leavin' drive south to the first turnaround. I would stay out of that particular median this time of year...It takes adds about 45 sec to a minute of travel time but hey, at least you're not stuck in the median!

Awesome! Thanks a lot man.

me and my buddy were told by scott deal now former north pole police officer that it is illigle to shoot on that rd. your talking about that follows moose creek to the tannana he told us to go to 9 mile rich. but thats about as bad as cushman.

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    me and my buddy were told by scott deal now former north pole police officer that it is illigle to shoot on that rd. your talking about that follows moose creek to the tannana he told us to go to 9 mile rich. but thats about as bad as cushman.
    Shooting from the road is illegal. If you go down into the flood plain you can shoot. The flood control project is several miles long with lots of room. Here is the flood control projects web site. They are very good about answering questions.

http://www.poa.usace.army.mil/co/chena/ch/detailh.htm

at the end of the road there is plenty of not-road to shoot from and at and off and towards! Just go all the way to the END and look for the "range"

we were on the river side of the dike gate but when you pull up to the gate there is no shooting signs pointing twords the dike and the path to flood control there is still tons of people that shoot there just leting you know what i was told.

Default Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    we were on the river side of the dike gate but when you pull up to the gate there is no shooting signs pointing twords the dike and the path to flood control there is still tons of people that shoot there just leting you know what i was told.
    There is a small area on the east side that is a no shooting zone as posted, and I think shooting from the dike is illegal also. The rest of the area is open to hunting and shooting ( just be safe). The corp. of engineers makes the rules there. I really suggest contacting them through the flood control web site for info.