Thread: Ulu's

Default Ulu's

Thought I'd share a few photos of a couple of ulu's I recently made from an old circular saw blade and chunks of caribou antler.

blade parts:

caribou handle:

finished ulu's:

Cool looks great! That sharpened disc with a handle bolted on through the hole would make a killer hide flesher. How did you cut it and grind that nice single bevel edge?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default ULU

Looks like you have some good ulu's there. I too am curious how you sharpened the blade and also got it so shiny? Did you epoxy the handles on the blades? Thanks for the info.

Andy,

I put the beveled edge on the entire circular blade (before cutting it out) by putting the blade on backwards on my circular saw and having a friend run it while I ground off the teeth and put the bevel on with an angle grinder. It worked pretty slick, though I was a bit apprehensive at first. Safety glasses and hearing protection are highly recommended...sparks galore!

I cut out the individual pieces with a jig saw and bi-metal blade.

Marko,

I did use epoxy for attaching the blades to the antler handles. I'd like to use some brass pins in the future as well, but I didn't have any brass stock on hand. I used a random orbit sander to clean up the blade and get it shiny before cutting the pieces out.

Default Perfect steel for ulus

Nice job. Thanks for posting this.

Thumbs up

....Beautiful ulus!

-I really enjoyed this progression of pics you posted, too-

-are you going to be selling any?

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default Inventive

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Andy,

I put the beveled edge on the entire circular blade (before cutting it out) by putting the blade on backwards on my circular saw and having a friend run it while I ground off the teeth and put the bevel on with an angle grinder. It worked pretty slick, though I was a bit apprehensive at first. Safety glasses and hearing protection are highly recommended...sparks galore!

I cut out the individual pieces with a jig saw and bi-metal blade.

Marko,

I did use epoxy for attaching the blades to the antler handles. I'd like to use some brass pins in the future as well, but I didn't have any brass stock on hand. I used a random orbit sander to clean up the blade and get it shiny before cutting the pieces out.
    Good idea on using a grinder while the blade is turning. I have used a hand held drill motor spinning it into a vertical belt sander. You'd be surprised what you can make with that. I am a little surprised the jig saw cut the blade, I thought you used a plasma cutter. Nice

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Good idea on using a grinder while the blade is turning. I have used a hand held drill motor spinning it into a vertical belt sander. You'd be surprised what you can make with that. I am a little surprised the jig saw cut the blade, I thought you used a plasma cutter. Nice
    Your drill & belt sander trick was going to be my "plan B".

I wasn't sure if the jig saw would be up to the task either, but the metal cutting blades (Bosch) I have for it are pretty impressive. Expect to wear out at least one of them while making these cuts. Clamps for holding the circular blade down are a must while cutting and the curved radius is probably the max you can do without excessive blade binding. I also used some oil to keep the jig saw blade cool. A plasma cutter would certainly be preferrable if I had access to one.

I should also mention that I used a plywood cutting circular blade which had small teeth and minimal gullets to grind off. I'm not sure if I would attempt to grind a blade that has carbide teeth .

Default Carbide

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Your drill & belt sander trick was going to be my "plan B".

I wasn't sure if the jig saw would be up to the task either, but the metal cutting blades (Bosch) I have for it are pretty impressive. Expect to wear out at least one of them while making these cuts. Clamps for holding the circular blade down are a must while cutting and the curved radius is probably the max you can do without excessive blade binding. I also used some oil to keep the jig saw blade cool. A plasma cutter would certainly be preferrable if I had access to one.

I should also mention that I used a plywood cutting circular blade which had small teeth and minimal gullets to grind off. I'm not sure if I would attempt to grind a blade that has carbide teeth .
    I was thinking about some old carbide ones I have. If I try it I think it wise to knock off the carbide first. Great post, thanks

I think most tipped blades have a mild steel body and so won't hold an edge.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Softer?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You may be right there. I will compare with regular blades. Thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I also think so.

This looks like a great project, I've saved a few old saw blades hoping I'd someday find a use for them.

Beautifully done, Austin. How long did it take you to make these? thinking/planning time? Spoiled prototypes? Once saw a video of a native AK woman cleaning salmon with an ulu. Cleaner and faster than a fillet knife. Beginning of a cottage industry. Thanks for sharing, man.