Thread: Thumpers

Default Thumpers

Hey does anyone know of any ruffed grouse beating their wings yet? I figured this last couple of warm days might start a few of them off... Just wondering!

last week i saw about 16 grouse down the road that goes to the mouth of willow but didnt have my gun with me try along the road

Grouse,

I wouldn't think any ruff will start drumming until about mid-April and on into May, but wildlife don't know about the rules and will do anything they darned well choose. Good way to find out is to go out there just before sunrise and just before sunset and listen quietly for drumming. Listen for about 5 minutes and move to another spot.

And by the way, did you actually see 16 ruffed grouse? That would be absolutely amazing.

Jim

thanks guys, I am from southeast and end of march early april is when it all starts getting fun down there... But, 16 really? That is amazing, did it teach ya to bring the gun next time? And i was reading your ptarmigan posts on the forum, and was wondering if you are seeing this many grouse, why are you going for the PTs? haha, but thanks again, I cant wait to hear the heart stopping ruffed grouse DRUM!!

well the brush is thicker and my coco lab beats me to the birds. I want to get a mount of a ptarmigan and some wing shooting in because i cant hit ducks

maybe not 16 ether probally 8 or 9 just seemed like 16 because i couldn't shoot'em