Thread: big lake report

Default big lake report

i fished big lake twice this weekend. the first day i caught a 16inch rainbow and saw a small char. the second day i saw a 22-26inch lunker char but caught nothing.no luck on burbot

remember big lake is now closed to the retention of burbot until ice out.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    remember big lake is now closed to the retention of burbot until ice out.
    why is burbot closed till ice out? Do they spawn in the spring or something?
    in the 60's and 70's my parents used to provide burbot from lake susitna for the annual Sons Of Norway lutefisk feed (back then they incorrectly referred to them as lingcod) dad would drill 100's of holes and bring back at least 400 or 500 pounds. It cost 10 bucks to get in the door to the feed and dance...lol i'm pretty sure that sort of activity would be highly frowned upon now

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    why is burbot closed till ice out? Do they spawn in the spring or something?
    in the 60's and 70's my parents used to provide burbot from lake susitna for the annual Sons Of Norway lutefisk feed (back then they incorrectly referred to them as lingcod) dad would drill 100's of holes and bring back at least 400 or 500 pounds. It cost 10 bucks to get in the door to the feed and dance...lol i'm pretty sure that sort of activity would be highly frowned upon now
    Yes, they are spawning right now.

Did your dad soak them in lye? I grew up in the mid west and never could get into the idea of fish soaked in lye.