Thread: small game

Default small game

went out today looking for ptarmigan in hatchers but only saw tracks anywhere else i could look? except for "above tree line" just a place if thats ok

you picked a decent area, just keep it up. the same walk tomorrow might yield a couple dozen. lots of options off willow fishhook road as well....mcroberts creek drainage....eklutna valley, ptarmigan valley, etc.

go for the sunshine, consider the birds a bonus. it will come together soon enough. are you going on snowshoes? how far did you walk today?

Grouse,

You are on the verge of solving your mystery - where to find ptarmigan! Actually, you've already solved it if you found ptarmigan tracks today. Keep searching those same (type) areas. Use that binocular. And sometimes, when the ptarmigan gods are looking down on you, you'll be sitting and taking a break, looking out over glorious country, feeling good about your life and where you're at, and a covey of winter white birds will fly into your valley and settle to the snow a short distance from your position. It happens. I hope it happens to you soon.

Jim

haha thank you

He is not joking...this is exactly how I found my first flock of 60+ birds and it has happened numerous times since then.
    Ptarmigan, like Hungarian partridge are where you find them and sometimes where they find you. We humans may not understand the rhyme nor the reason why.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-17-2010 at 19:41. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Use that binocular. And sometimes, when the ptarmigan gods are looking down on you, you'll be sitting and taking a break, looking out over glorious country, feeling good about your life and where you're at, and a covey of winter white birds will fly into your valley and settle to the snow a short distance from your position. It happens. I hope it happens to you soon.
    that was pretty darn well said. somehow sitting down for lunch has helped me on a quite a few outings. got my first blacktail buck that way too. i was once told to consider myself to be walking my rifle/shotgun, as opposed to hunting. don't feel so foolish then when i turn up emptyhanded

Nothing like an armed walk with a good gun in good country with, or without a good companion. Feels good to be free. Thanks to those who have fought to keep us that way.

Jim