Thread: Garmin GPS 546S

Default Garmin GPS 546S

What is the latest scoop on the Garmin 546S.

I found it pretty reasonably priced at a gps store for $950 - 100 rebate plus shipping. It has G2, but not G2 Vision - - has the software been reliable or are there still issues with it?

Is it worth the extra resolution from the previous models? Would it be worth it to goto the 7 series touchsgreen for an extra $300-400 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What is the latest scoop on the Garmin 546S.

I found it pretty reasonably priced at a gps store for $950 - 100 rebate plus shipping. It has G2, but not G2 Vision - - has the software been reliable or are there still issues with it?

Is it worth the extra resolution from the previous models? Would it be worth it to goto the 7 series touchsgreen for an extra $300-400 ?
    I just ordered the 740s. I wanted the 5208 but there was no way I was gonna buy all the separate things like sonar, xm weather and radar. I like the plug and play characteristics of the 740s. I already got the radar dome delivered UPS already but the 740s Has not even been released by Garmin yet. Consumer Marine said 1 month and I was 3rd on the list, so I bit the bullet and bought it...the touch screen was a huge selling point. I'm replacing a 498 gps plotter/sonar.
    Which reminds me of a question-----does any body know if there is a pigtail so I could use 2 gps's w/ one antenna? I need to keep the old one till I get my marks on the new one....

Default touchscreen

they are touting the touchscreen pretty high - - but that is a downfall to me - more stuff to go wrong....how does it work with gloves on? How picky are the icons? I still have my old nokia phone - I hate my wifes touchscreen - my fingers are too fat....

I am also looking at the Northstar 657. Sure the 660 would be better - unless you are counting your beans. The 657 is avail online for 626+10 ship - - not too bad.

If I had a fancy expensive boat I would surely go with something bigger/better, but for my little boat and restricted range I am limiting myself to the $1K range....any less is just more for the "fishing & taxidermy fund".

Red face analog guy in a digital world

I was wondering the same thing about the touch screens, I know my 498 screen was a nightmare to keep clean. I have some friends that have the 5208 and they say they like it. I took a chance ordering this 720s w/o any feedback, but I really wanted radar and didn't want alot of different units on the dash. The thing I've heard about touch screen is its pretty much idiot proof. I have a helluva time trying to see my plotter buttons especially at night. I'll be searching for the menu button and accidentally hit man over board , I have man over board icons from cape suckling to shotgun cove, its annoying as hell when I'm looking for my fishing spots and I can't find my glasses....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It has G2, but not G2 Vision - - has the software been reliable or are there still issues with it?
    Garmin recalled the G2 vision last year & shipped me a replacement card. I got an email last week that they are now shipping the new improved G2 vision cards this week & I am supposed to have my new card by the end of next week. I don't know for sure what the bugs in the software were, but last summer Garmin issued a warning about using the G2 vision card for navigation. All I used the G2 vision card last year was for the 3d view of the underwater terrain & it was pretty interesting to see.

Default G2

I am not planning on getting the G2 with the original purchase - IF I decide to go with Garmin - I am also looking pretty hard at the Northstar 567 - it's a couple hundred cheaper and fairly similiar......