Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear advice

Default Bear advice

I have an 870 Remington with a pistol grip and folding stock, and a Ruger super blackhawk 44 with a 10.5 inch barrel. which one should I take for Bear protection. I will be cutting wood. probably not going to see one, but if I do? which one do you suggest? 44 is a tack driver. (If I ever get the Monster out) Plowman

Well you’re not going to have a shotgun and a saw in your hands at the same time so I would put the 44 on my belt. The 870 would likely be not too far off ether though, like in the truck.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yup, the 12ga is the better (much) round (at close ranges), but it won't do any good if it's not "handy" during that possible surprise situation.

But, getting a .44 drawn and accuratley fired in the short time of a close range surprise charge could be questionable also.
    Hardcast bullets, NOT hollowpoints.

Have you ever shot your 870 with magnum slugs using the pistol grip? Unless you are a Paul Bunyan logger type with axe swinging forearms you won't be able to shuck the second round into the chamber with the wrist on your trigger hand all numb and wrecked. The pistol grip puts your wrist at an angle that does not absorb recoil very well. Shooting bird shot or even buck shot is not too bad, but try some 3" slugs and it is another story.

Several years ago I had the pleasure of watching some guys get "bear" training and they used their company owned pistol gripped 870s. Not a one of them hit anything with the second shot, and the first shot was seldom near a lethal spot on the target. One guy tried to aim the gun and busted his nose really well. Another guy dropped his gun and almost stopped breathing grabbing his wrist, hopping around like in a cartoon. I used my plain stocked 870 and out shot the lot of them. Seriously funny.

Never carry a gun into the woods that you can not aim quickly. Spray and Pray only works with belt feed weapons when it comes to bear defense.

If you are in an area where bears have been habituated to chainsaws meaning food then you have something to worry about. Otherwise I would not be too concerned outside of the quite lunch or break times.

The shotgun is far more effective on the bears but I'd find a regular stock .....as ray says that pistol grip is inaccurate and very punishing to the shooter.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Have you ever shot your 870 with magnum slugs using the pistol grip? Unless you are a Paul Bunyan logger type with axe swinging forearms you won't be able to shuck the second round into the chamber with the wrist on your trigger hand all numb and wrecked. The pistol grip puts your wrist at an angle that does not absorb recoil very well. Shooting bird shot or even buck shot is not too bad, but try some 3" slugs and it is another story.

Several years ago I had the pleasure of watching some guys get "bear" training and they used their company owned pistol gripped 870s. Not a one of them hit anything with the second shot, and the first shot was seldom near a lethal spot on the target. One guy tried to aim the gun and busted his nose really well. Another guy dropped his gun and almost stopped breathing grabbing his wrist, hopping around like in a cartoon. I used my plain stocked 870 and out shot the lot of them. Seriously funny.
    That's good to know. (about shotguns with pistol grips.)

I don't use a shotgun hardly at all, and never carry one for bar protection, so I didn't know that about the pistol grip stocks.

I have fired sabot slugs from a bench using the stock, and I know there is a huge amount of recoil there.

Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Try a rear stock like this one, best of both worlds. (works for me, anyway).

I AM working on a new rig though....TBS enterprises. (Tactical Bear Solutions)
    We have the NEWEST in Bear Counter-assault/CQB weaponry.

TBS(tm)
    (c)2010

Ditto on ditching the pistol grip..Anchorage SWAT experimented with them for a while and went back to full stock...I personaly have some scares in my mouth from recoil from a 3' mag. I was charged and threw the gun up to find the rear sight was gone from bush whacking, got loose and fell off...so I brought the pistol grip up close to my face to line the gun up...when I touched it off (bear at 12 feet) the grip hit my jaw and spun me around and knocked me over...

Never carry a gun into the woods that you can not aim quickly. Spray and Pray only works with belt feed weapons when it comes to bear defense.
    This might be a good spray and pray option. Not quite belt fed, but close:

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    Ditto on ditching the pistol grip..Anchorage SWAT experimented with them for a while and went back to full stock...I personaly have some scares in my mouth from recoil from a 3' mag. I was charged and threw the gun up to find the rear sight was gone from bush whacking, got loose and fell off...so I brought the pistol grip up close to my face to line the gun up...when I touched it off (bear at 12 feet) the grip hit my jaw and spun me around and knocked me over...
    Wow it sounds like a good thing you didn't need 2 shots. Though at 12 feet 1 shot is all you get.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    This might be a good spray and pray option. Not quite belt fed, but close:

That is gun p0rn at its finest.

I have seen photos of them in use in Persia by the designated marksmen. Very nice to see something old become new again.

That is gun p0rn at its finest.

I have seen photos of them in use in Persia by the designated marksmen. Very nice to see something old become new again.
    Got to look very close to see an M1A under all that new stuff. I like wood but I would take that over any AR, that's some very good gear.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    This might be a good spray and pray option.
    Wow, Nice. VERY Nice. I'm looking at a Garand as my next purchase. That's a sweet M1A.

Default Knoxx/Blackhawk stock

I agree with everyone about the uselessness of a pistol-grip on a shotgun. I have a Knoxx recoill-reducing stock (pistol-grip with AR-style 6-position stock) on my Mossberg 590. It takes all the pain out of shooting 3" slugs and makes follow-up shots much quicker than a normal fixed stock. The 6-position adjustability also makes for a more compact total package, resulting in a much more maneuverable weapon when clearing the house after something goes bump in the night and gets the dogs all growly.

Heck, even my wife will shoot my 12ga now, as long as it has the knoxx-stock on it. She wouldn't even touch it before mounting that stock, now she hammers 2-3/4" 00 buckshot out of that thing just as fast as she can rack the slide, it is a beautiful sight to behold!

If you can shoot your Super Blackhawk well, I'd keep it on your hip, or in a crossdraw-rig, it is much more likely to be there when you need it than a heavy shotgun in left the truck or leaning againt a stump 10-20ft away. You probably won't need either of them, but it is far better to be prepared for the worst rather than end up being bear-scat!
    -J

Mine is a .44MAG pushing 300g hardcast handloads. Not fun to shoot but if it comes down to it adrenaline will override the recoil. It's accurate and the 300g handloads hit hard.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Mine is a .44MAG pushing 300g hardcast handloads. Not fun to shoot but if it comes down to it adrenaline will override the recoil. It's accurate and the 300g handloads hit hard.
    That's a good point. Practice, practice, practice with lighter loads...then carry the HEAVY HARDCASTS.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Got to look very close to see an M1A under all that new stuff. I like wood but I would take that over any AR, that's some very good gear.
    Walked into Virginia Arms in Manassas a few years ago just to buy some ammo and a holster, and fell in love. Even my 14 year old nephew at the time could empty a 25-rd mag from it in the prone in about 7 seconds. With 180gr TSXs or similar, it actually might be a good bear defense option--especially if you were attacked by an entire den of bears--a bear platoon.

It barely recoils, but it weighs about 12 lbs.

Tactical Bear Solutions. That's what I'm talking about.

New store in Anchorage in April?

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I will probably take both guns. The 870 has a pistol grip with a folding stock. I will practice, but I am no Paul Bunyun 6'2" 249. I can handle a gun and recoil. The 44 does not bother me even with hot bear loads. maybe I am just more concerned about being able to hit one of those charging at me! Thanks again..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast