Thread: Good Places to stay on the way up?

Default Good Places to stay on the way up?

I have my route picked so I am looking for recommendations on
    places to stay on the trip up to Alaska.
    We will be leaving the Spokane Wa. area and heading up through
    Kamloops-Williams Lake-Prince George- Fort St. John etc.
    I am not sure what towns I will end up at each night but maybe you guys can give me some good ideas for clean reasonably priced
    hotels or Motels on that route.
    We will need a pet friendly place.
    We have a small dog with us.
    Thanks,
    Bryan V

Get a Milepost and check out the places listed in there for towns near where you think you might be each evening.

Default drive to Prince Rupert and take the ferry

Take the ferry up to Whittier and then drive up through alaska no hotel worries and no road condition considerations. It's a nice cruise
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default +1 Milepost

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Get a Milepost and check out the places listed in there for towns near where you think you might be each evening.
    New one just came out (www.milepost.com), not that you really need the newest edition. Your local Barnes & Noble prob has them too. Valuable resource because it's not like there are lots of lodging choices in some stretches. Also hard to predict daily road miles some times - construction, mud or whatever. Never certain where you'll end up at the end of the day.

We drove up in 2000 with our toddler. The Milepost had so much good info - about scenery and places of interest, but also clued us in about "...Overnighting in rest areas and turnouts may be unsafe and is illegal unless otherwise posted", customs issues, etc. Excellent resource for fuel, phone, services, food, lodging.

Much of the "lodging" may be rustic or modest compared to what we get used to in the Lower-48. Still, usually it was clean and quiet. One place, we said "no" and drove another couple of hours instead to the next town.
    Enjoy your drive - great trip opportunity.

Default Lots of options

I just pulled into Anchorage after driving from Portland, after my first overnight in Marysville WA, I stayed in Cache Creek, Watson lake, and Haines Jct for overnights and just looked for a place last minute. There are a lot of options in every town on the southern end of the drive so best to stay flexible as mentioned above there are a lot of variables as to your progress each day.

Up north it thins out a bit and you pretty much have to take what you get. They all worked out but I would recommend Kluane Park Inn in Haines Jct if you end up there at night. I think I only paid 54 bucks and it was really basic but clean and I slept well. not many options there. I pulled in to Watson Lake after midnight and got jammed for $97 but was too tired to debate it.

If you are planning in detail I would plan a stay in Whitehorse as it is a nice city with much better options than Watson Lake or Haines Jct on either side of Whitehorse. I just ended up there in the afternoon and had to push on. I love that town though, has one of the Best Bookstores in the ENTIRE NORTH (find it near the Westmark hotel in downtown)as well as good coffee shops and is a cultural highlight of the drive

I would also say get a milepost for tons of information reasons, It's $30 and kind of an overkill (has every route imaginable in there) but for the route you are traveling it is priceless amount of info. and is really nice for planning and for your navigator, if you have one) to read and keep you up to date.

I've driven four times now and have always done it alone and always wished I had a navigator in the passenger seat to read the milepost as i go

My wife would never agree to that much driving from the passenger seat tho

PS Don't Miss Liard hotsprings, It's Well Worth It to stop and get soaked,

what is the name of the bookstore there and how far from the hotel is it

Thanks for the advise everyone.
    Bryan V

Default Macs Fireweed bks in Whthrse

The great bookstore in Whitehorse is called Macs Fireweed Books at 203 Main st and I guess it is a couple blocks from the Westmark to the south, A great bookstore full of Northern interest stuff that I seem to stumble onto every time I am there and always get a couple of books I have not seen before.

Motels I stayed in were not Cache creek but Chetwynd, the Country Squire for $79, pretty basic but clean,
    in Watson Lake, the Big Horn Hotel, for $100 and extra charge for internet access(?) nice place but I think overpriced,
    and the Kluane Park Inn at Haines Jct. for $59, Very basic but adequate

Definitely plan your trip as far as the main towns you want to make, not always easy to do this but the gas will be cheaper and hotels better in main towns

It is a Fantastic drive and the roads are in Top Shape right now, no construction going on at all and no gravel stretches, about the only thing to watch for are rocks flying off the Big Rigs passing by. There is a fair amount of gravel onthe dry roads after winter and windshields are at risk. There is a pretty heavy Frost Heave area north of Burwash Landing north to about 50mi short of Tok, you'll need to slow down some especially if driving a motorhome or camper. They could throw ya pretty good. Otherwise not even any potholes to speak of. Our roads in Kodiak are way worse than the Alaska highway right now

Great Time to drive up

Default Milepost

Use it. And depending on if you driving a truck or all of you things in a trailer/uhaul. Leave Price George out.

A City employee there told me to keep driving as it wouldn't be safe all night.

Default Canadians are easygoing

Zinker, did you actually experience something like that in Prince George, then or passing on a strange idea of someone else'?

Oh I see rereading your post, the PGeorge city guy told you to keep moving??? What is the story there? Was your truck unlockable of something

I've spent a lot of time in Canada and driven the hwy four times now and never even remotely felt nervous about getting ripped off or something like not being safe?

Prince George is kind of in the middle as far as the normal driving days go but just wondering as it is so far from what I have experienced in Canada

Those are some of the MOST easy-going peaceful, and helpful people I have dealt with anywhere.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

B.C. has some huge issues with vehicle theft. Particularly in areas popular with snowmachiners. I've never had an issue in Prince George, though.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/03/04/t...vehicle-theft/

My normal trip from Washington is to go to Prince George on night 1, Fort Nelson night 2, Whitehorse night 3, Whitehorse to home on day 4. This is when I travel with the wife and kids. By myself I just drive as long as I can and sleep in the truck.

For the Montana trips I make its Montana to Edmonton night1, then Ft. Nelson, then Whitehorse, then home.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Don't stop

Just drive! Make it here as fast as you can so you can get your line in the water! Way lay in bed some where on the road when you could be standing in Alaskan soil/water and be drinking a cold beer and trying to catch the next state record!!!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thumbs up Liard Hot Springs

A must stop is the hot springs! Super hot and really relaxing. Also, gotta have the new milepost! It's the best travel money you'll spend, and they put a really nice add in there for my lodge! I just got my advertiser copy last week.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com