Thread: Predator Hunting

crazedBOWhunter

Default Predator Hunting

I'm new to Alaska and have been out a few times attempting to do some predator calling. Mostly concentrating on rabbit distress calls, which worked very well for me back in the lower 48. I've called in lots of coyotes and a couple cats using distress calls in the lower 48. However, I am having absolutely no luck with getting anything in after multiple attempts. Any advice on what works well to get wolves, fox, coyotes, or lynx in to your calls?

It depends on where you go, some areas around here get alot of pressure.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have used the rabbit distress with good results. I've had fox and coyote come in. I've seen people call in Lynx with rabbit distress also.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Crazed, there is a predator hunting forum just above or below this one.

I am new to predator hunting, this is my first year. Starting to get a bit discouraged after being out multiple times with no luck. I'm using a foxpro and a quivering critter, mostly using the rabbit in distress as well. Ill be watching this thread. I really want to get my boy excited about it, but nothing so far.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I'm fairly new to the predator calling game as well, but everything I'd read and heard from experienced callers is that Alaska is totally different from the lower 48 with regards to success rates. Folks that routinely call in multiple coyotes each day in the lower 48 report that they might get a response on one out of 15 stands up here. It's a low percentage game, to be sure. There are things that you can do to increase your odds, but the #1 factor is going to be time spent afield.

Bob - It's great that you're getting your boy out, but if you want to ensure some measure of success, hare hunting might be a better option. I take my nephew hare hunting with me, as I know that at 10 years old his patience is still developing. I'll take him calling as well, but sometimes a little success goes a long ways towards developing a love of hunting.

I agree with Brian..patience is a big part of calling here...something I am having to work on.

I thought about getting one of the quivering critters also, so let me know how it works for you.

One thing I have read about calling seems to be the timing...I'm seeing a lot of people say you need to go when it's pretty cold out and a full moon so you can be out really late when the fox, lynx, coyotes are moving. This is also my downfall as my hands and feet freeze too quick and I'm ready to call it a day way too early into the hunt. Any suggestions from you seasoned hunters on this problem?

I have the same problem with my fingers. I got frost bite some years ago and just cant keep them warm any more. I go through a lot of the "hot hands" or whatever brand is on sale at the time.

Thanks for the suggestion Brian.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Yep, totally different calling than in the Lower 48. I do both.....no comparison to frequency of critters coming in. Brian's estimate is close to my experience, get someting to come in about every 15 stands or so. Shots come a little less frequently. Keep at it they are out there just fewer and farther between. If you are getting scavenger birds coming in your call is fine, just make sure your setup is also. The interior seems to be much more productive this season than southcentral. Good luck.

For Wolves first you need to find a pack, then try and get them to come to you. Half the time they go the other way.

For Bears, be ready, don't go out alone. Bears come in quick and quite, ready to kill something.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Wolves

What has been the best call for wolves? The rabbit distress?

For Bears, be ready, don't go out alone. Bears come in quick and quite, ready to kill something.
    It's a scary thought... waking up a Browny and calling him in; esp. when most times either I go alone or don't go at all. I always have my wheel gun along but it doesn't make me feel nearly as warm & fuzzy as a bigger rifle would.

As others have said, there just aren't critters in every other draw like there were back in Wyoming. I've modified my tactics to include cutting tracks and positioning for a shot.

I've also tried to convince my wife that I'd "bond" with her cat if she'd just let me take him out predator hunting with me.