Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting & Mosquitos

Default Hunting & Mosquitos

Does anyone have any experience with Thermacell Mosquito Repellent? Cabela's sells them for about $30. Do they work? Thanks. J.

They flat out work. The skeeters come back when the little pad in the thermacell runs out of whatever is in it, so buy plenty of replacements. And if it's windy it doesn't work so good, but if it's windy there's less skeeters!

$30 seems kind of high, locally they sell between $20-$25.

Default Thermacell

We don't leave home without them. Spring bear hunting in the stand they are a must. Been using them for three seasons now and they work, not a gimmick...

Next best thing to Charmin! I swear by mine Sure beats making sudden moves while being watched by a big fur ball below.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

I use mine every year in the bear stand and while fishing. It works great. The kids don't like putting on skeeter repellent and neither do I. I use it alot. Make sure to buy plenty of the fuel and pads.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

They work great! I am not a gadget guy, but had to try these. They keep biting flies, no-see-ums, and mosquitoes at bay. We run two on the back of the boat out in the Sound. We had an animal down in unit 13 a couple of falls ago. The bugs were on us right away. I fired up the thermacell and with in ten minutes they were gone. If you leave the "circle" and come back, the bugs will return, but wait a few minutes and they will go away again. The only negative as I see it is they are only effective when you are stationary.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If you are hunting the fall, many areas have pretty low skeeter numbers by then, it's more about the white sox and no see ums. (not sure if thermacell works for those). But in springtime, there will be many plenty.

I've used one for several seasons now and love it. I can't say that it will keep every last critter at bay, but it will make any "sitting" much more pleasant, whether for glassing, eating or skinning .

They do seem to work great, so I have to get my supply of feul and pads ready for bear hunting. I don't want to get carried out of the tree stand waiting on my monster blackie.

these units are amazing, I did not believe that anything really worked untill thermacell sent us 5-6 units to use last summer in 16...

amazing... costly but I'm buying 3-4 more this summer

great when your skinning in the field

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thumbs up yep

worth every penny! Bear baits, camp outs, sitting by a camp fire in the evenings, fishing, pretty much everything outdoors they are good for, they also work great at a kill sight when your field dressing an animal to keep the bugs at bay. I get mine at Costco or 3 Bears they have the big refill packs too.
    I was sitting at my bait site a few years ago with a friend and we were in different trees I had about half a can of skeeter spray on, head net, and gloves and the skeeters were buzzing so loud I couldn't hear anything. I look over at my friend and he is sitting in his stand no bug net no hat and his bald head, no gloves and I couldn't see a single skeeter within 10 feet of him. Bought 2 the next day one for me one for the wife and they get used all summer!

Does anyone know if there is info available regarding their use around very young children and infants? They obviously give off some sort of gas, so I'm leery to use one around my newborn this year. It's likely better than using DEET, but still, I'm not thrilled about my kid inhaling whatever it is that a thermacell emits.

It's active ingredient is Allethrin (d-cis/trns allethrin)I think it is a synthetic Pyrethrum. The fact that it is man made would make me want to do more research before I used it around my children.

That said I'll never sit at a bait station again without one.
    Chuck

THANKS so much for the feed back; I will be getting a couple. J.

Default Warning

I have used them, and they work well. However I was told that the chemical they use is highly toxic to fish. Be sure to keep the pads away from the water and dispose of them properly.

Default Hazmat?

Haven't heard any negative field reports - and they were highly rated in Fish Alaska 2 yrs ago. A friend told me gnats were so thick on his hunt they interfered with eating. Thermacell might be just the ticket there, eh?

Two thoughts:
    1. Fuel cells are hazmat for flyouts?
    2. You wearin ScentLok camo with that Thermacell?

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Haven't heard any negative field reports - and they were highly rated in Fish Alaska 2 yrs ago. A friend told me gnats were so thick on his hunt they interfered with eating. Thermacell might be just the ticket there, eh?
    One of our favorite "newbie" quotes on a float trip is "Gee, I see you already peppered the eggs." This is normally followed by "Gee, these no-seeums don't bother you guys?"

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1. Fuel cells are hazmat for flyouts?
    2. You wearin ScentLok camo with that Thermacell?
    I know that USPS will not mail them, so I guess the answer is "Yes, they are hazmat." As for their smell; I've used them in treestands while whitetails walk underneath--certainly within 20 feet of the Thermacell. The odor does not appear to spook big game, or at least not overwhelmingly so.

thanks for the info there and i see about picking up a couple of them

ya pick up a couple....i alwasy have a back up in base camp just in case....they work. best thing i've seen...i sit about 6-10 feet from mine, i wouldn't set it on my shoulder though..not sure what those fumes will do. almost odorless, make sure your newborn don't grab it either, its got a little hot plate that heats the pad up...could be a burn there...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

For those of us who can shop in Anchorage, AIH seems to have them on sale sometime during the year for $19.95. This is the best price I've seen on them, in a store or on the web.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast