Thread: Pull the trigger or not... Part II

Default Pull the trigger or not... Part II

In Pull the trigger or not (part I) I posted asking about a particular gun (model 600 in Rem Mag 350), it's previous owner and the readers opinions as to whether or not I should use the gun or just bring it to my collection as a retired piece...

Overwhelmingly opinions were to use the gun for that which is was created.

So part II...

I'm heading out for a spring bear hunt. My dad and brother will be accompanying me and I convinced this hunt will be one of the greatest hunts EVER... Mainly because my dad and only brother are accompanying me.

I have a primary .375 H&H and a back up .375 H&H. These are guns that I've used and trust. I'm thinking that taking the Model 600 as a auxiliary back up... So here is the problem...

I don't think I have time to locate and purchase the components to work up a load.

Are there any local (south central Alaska) resources that would have 350 Rem Mag ammo?
    Any one out there reloading the 350 Rem Mag and willing to help out?

I won't need a HOT load just something get "her" out there making memories w/ us...

Thanks...

Check Boondocks in Eagle River. They had a gun or two in 350, and I "think" they had some ammo.

Don't know where you can find factory ammo, but I think all that's available is a 225 spitzer from Remington.

I can lend you dies, and I have brass/bullets/powder we could talk about if you want to work up a load. I settled on Barnes 225 TSX over RL-15 (if memory serves) for my Rem 600. PM if interested.

Let that big dog eat! Mine may make the trip to Kodiak this fall for deer (and perhaps bear, depending on the draw).

I have almost a full box of factory Rem 200gr Core-lokts, I think there is 18 or so in the box. I just ran across them in the closet last night when I was digging for reloading stuff. If you want them they are yoours for a 20 dollar bill. That might get you started, and I think factory ammo is over 40 a box. Call me if you want them 907-351-1911.

So... lemme get this straight... You're going to have a back up for your back up? Right?

Default well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike1 View Post
    So... lemme get this straight... You're going to have a back up for your back up? Right?
    hehehehehe... call it what you want. I'm going to shoot a bear... My dad and brother are going to be there with me and if all things are equal they will put lead down range too... It's a cheap way to get three bear hunts out of one... Besides who wants to go along just to watch?

As for the above offers... I appreciate it guys... I'm out of state until next week. I'll get back to town and may drop you PM. I'm still working on this whole 350 RM idea. But so far I like it...

Default 350 Rem...

Its a great bear gun.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I know Boondock has brass, powder, and bullets for the 350RM. All you would need is the dies and primers, they might even have the dies too.

Quote Originally Posted by grousehunter View Post
    Check Boondocks in Eagle River. They had a gun or two in 350, and I "think" they had some ammo.

Boondocks had some recently and I think I saw a box at SW in anchorage a few days ago. I believe the only factory load is the Rem 200 gr core lokt. Not a bad bullet but lighter than I like. I use the Siera 225 bt spt but would consider using a tougher bullet if I was targeting brown bear. I have everything you need to load for the 350Rem if you want to come over and pull the handle as I don't load for others. I live in Chugiak so give me a pm if interested.

My shoulder aches just thinking about shooting 250gr bullets out of a 600 .

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    My shoulder aches just thinking about shooting 250gr bullets out of a 600 .

You have obviously spent way too much range time lately fire forming brass.

Or I have to much common sense LOL...

Anyone loaded the 250 Gr Nosler Partitions in 350 RM? I have read that they can be used and still meet the 2.8 COAL for the model 7 actions.
    I just picked up a bunch of 225 and 250 Gr NP, just waiting for my brass and powder to show up. I am not even going to bother with the Speers or Sierras.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

225 partitions fit in a 2.8" oal remington mag box just great, as do the 200 barnes. They're a bit "blunter" (for lack of a better term - maybe their ogive radius is shorter?) than the 250s.

I have 250 hornady and speer spire points loaded up to shoot for groups, and they come out a hair over 2.8" when seated with the ogive right at the case neck. Haven't shot them yet.

In spite of its round nose, the 250 hornady rn is pretty long out front - as long to the ogive as the spire point.

I'm thinking with the remington's 1:16 twist, the shorter bullets will shoot better anyway. We'll see. I had a ruger for a time, and with its longer mag box and 1:12 twist, the 250s loaded and shot fine.

Default 673 350rm

Finally put a scope on the 673 and took it up to the range today. Haven't had a chance to load anything for it, so used the Remington loads.
    Verdict; its a shooter. Once I sighted it in, it would keep shooting a 2" group @ 100 yds all day long, which would be all I need for Moose. It would do better than that im sure, but thats just my own shortcomings. Its going to be a great hunting rifle; just comes right up to where it ought to be, nice and light. I put a Burris 3-9 Timberline on it. Very pleased with it for $199.00.
    Quite surprised at how mild the recoil is. Much milder than my Tikka T3Lite SS in 7mmRM.
    Chronoed the Remy factory loads at ~2750. Seems to me a 200 Gr. CoreLokt @ 2750 would be all the medicine a Moose should ever need.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

If your shooting moose or black bear , the rem 200 core lokt will work fine at that velocity. If you go to a 225gr you will get at best about 2600fps. At that speed standard cup and core bullets work fine. The premium bullets are great but not needed at 2600 fps and they are rather expensive. The Sierra and the Speer both easily shoot under 1" from my rem 700 and are good enough for 2600fps. I really like the 350 Mag but it looses to much velocity by going to 250gr to suit me.

I picked up a bunch of 225 NP's, and i'm pretty sure thats going to be my main load for this rifle. If nothing else, the superior BC of the partitions is worth the extra $.
    I hear you on the 250's, they'll work in the short action, but why bother? If i wanted to go that heavy, i think i would have gone to a Whelen or a 338-06, but i really like the short action and compact nature of the 673 with the model 7 action. Its just so handy. Man, a 225 Gr NP at 2600 FPS is going to handle anything i want to deal with
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.