Thread: reduced recoil?

Question reduced recoil?

If this has been covered in previous posts please say so and I will search for it, but I haven't seen it.

I don't know anything about reloading and am interested to try it maybe. I am asking this about reduced recoil loads for my self and a couple of friends.

Is it possible to do a RR load on ANY round, (seems reasonable to me). My muzzle loader works that way. I have a .375 ruger and a 7mm rem mag I would be interested in doing this with (also a .44 mag pistol) for various resons.

Advice or pointing me to the correct literature/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yup, you can throttle back anything, lighter bullets and reduced velocity will drop the recoil right down. The limitations are some powders can do weird things when downloaded, and with jacketed bullets you can only go so low before you risk getting them stuck in the bore.

If you really want to reduce loads, cast bullets will let you go really low. The lymann cast bullet manual has alot of load data for reduced loads.

The 44 mag is fairly easy, lighter cast bullets 200-240 gr with a load of fast to medium rate pistol powder for ~700 fps. I'm partial to Unique, but there are many excellent powders.

You can throttle your 7mm mag down to 7X57 levels, and turn your 375 ruger into a 375 win, or even milder if desired.

Trail Boss is another good powder for reduced loads and Hodgen has data for a wide variety of pistol and rifle loads on their website.

I loaded up some for my 375 H&H last weekend and had a blast popping them off, recoiled about like a .223 and were very accurate out to 75 yards even had the same point of impact as my 300 grain hunting loads. Not sure how they do past that as the range was covered in snow and I didn't bring my snowshoes.

Thumbs up Thanks

for the come back guys. I'll have to try this. It seems the .375 could really be an all around gun (excluding long range).

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    for the come back guys. I'll have to try this. It seems the .375 could really be an all around gun (excluding long range).
    I wouldn't count out long range, plenty of guys are shooting past 300 yards with them.

Default yes

I love doing this, especially with the .44. I make loads with 7 grains of HP-38 and a 200 grain cast bullet. It replicates the .45 and I price it at about 15 cents a round (hit the right garage sales, people will give away cast bullets). Tons of fun to shoot and super cheap. I have yet to have trouble with loading very far down. I wouldnt dare go less than 600 fps in the .44.

300 win mag has a ton of versatility too. Standard load is a 180 grain bullet going ~3000 fps and has no problem knocking down big moose and I love it. I carry "wolf loads" with me though. 110 grain bullets at 2000 fps, and they have the same point of impact at 100 yds. It'll save fur if I ever run into a wolf in the field.

Your .375 should be able to produce some loads that hold the same point of impact when reduced. I've heard a lot of people say that .375 is one of the least finicky rounds when you change a powder or bullet or velocity. With that in mind, stay within the bounds of your manual (they do have bottom limits), and use a quality bullet. Other than that, you should be fine.

Whats the matter with your shoulder anyway? Can't handle a little .375?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

An important thing to rememember is, don't use a load that you don't have data for. It's NOT just a matter of using less powder, like with a Muzzle Loader, because some powders act differently depending on the case capacity.

Using regular data, you can reduce recoil by using the lightest bullets, and the minimum loads with the powder that gives you the lowest velocity.

Lighter bullets give you less recoil.
    Lighter powder charges give you less recoil.

You can usually find data for reduced loads too.

Hodgdon (Powder Manufacturer) says that any Maximum load using H4895, can be reduced as much as 60% and still be safe.

Of course, you can use cast bullets, but that's another ball game, but possibly one you'd like. I shoot lots of cast bullets. IMO, it's more challenging to get an accurate load using cast bullets, but they won't wear your barrel, they're cheaper, to buy, or make, and use less powder.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post

I got my deer this year with my 375 H&H down loaded with a Seirra 200 grain flat point with IMR SR4759, at approx 2100-2150 fps.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    I got my deer this year with my 375 H&H down loaded with a Seirra 200 grain flat point with IMR SR4759, at approx 2100-2150 fps.
    "Way to Go".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Trailboss and cast lead should make some really fun plinking rounds. You should be able to find load data on the hodgdon website. I use trailboss and a 335 cast flatnose boolit to make plinking rounds for my .460 that kick less than a .38. I haven't crono'd them yet but they should be around 800 fps. You should be able to get similar velocities out of your .44 with lead in the 200 grn. range. Trailboss was designed to create low pressures and to be used exclusively with cast lead. It's very popular with cowboy action shooters. A word of caution though: this powder is really bulky or fluffy and doesn't like to throw consistantly out of my RCBS powder measure so I weigh each charge idividually and use a powder trickler to get it right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    A word of caution though: this powder is really bulky or fluffy and doesn't like to throw consistantly out of my RCBS powder measure so I weigh each charge idividually and use a powder trickler to get it right on the money.
    I have had to do the same thing, was wondering if it was just my cheap powder throw or not. Guess not.

Thumbs up thanks again

For all the come back and info. So,.. from what I gather (haven't looked yet), I can find good loading info on the web.

highestview, no, a little .375 doesn't bother me at all, the other day I shot a .338, a couple of .375's and a .416, I couldn't tell the difference between those and my 7MM, but that isn't shooting all day either. I do want to be able to let my wife shoot the 7MM if I can get a reasonable kick from it for her. Also maybe some varmit rounds that won't tear things up (Idon't want ot buy another gun).

This sounds like fun, esp for the .44. I need to shoot alot more with a pistol to keep proficient.

Thanks, the more info the better.

Just shot some .345 grain WLN-GC's out of my .460 today. I loaded them with moderate loads of #9 and then some with the trailboss. I blew the center out of a target from a benchrest at about 50"

#9 might be another one to try. The recould was very manageable for a .460. If loaded right it should turn your's into a kitten.

Default Well

Here is a good 44 mag load 7.6gr of Unique 240gr SWC with a 350 primer. They shoot well but then again I'm the worse pistol shot in Alaska...

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Just shot some .345 grain WLN-GC's out of my .460 today. I loaded them with moderate loads of #9 and then some with the trailboss. I blew the center out of a target from a benchrest at about 50"

#9 might be another one to try. The recould was very manageable for a .460. If loaded right it should turn your's into a kitten.
    Don't forget to pack that benchrest with you when you are out in the field... Better learn to shoot that thing with out a rest LOL...

Default Reduced recoil rounds

I have done alot of research on this subject while trying to find a low recoil centerfire round for my daughter to hunt with. Two years ago she ended up using my Winchester Trapper with cast 250gr 44mag rounds. My wife used the same rifle last fall to shoot her first moose. Was a full pass through and didn't find the bullet.

I finally found some H4895 this spring and loaded up some 150gr Barnes TSX bullets with 39grns in my 300 SAUM. My daughter shot some rounds last night and her quote was, "This is my new rifle." I shot a few and was amazed at the amount of recoil, none. It felt like shooting a 22. I did not sight in the rounds yet to see what kind of groups it shoots cause the girls were freezing and it was getting dark. This is the lowest amount of powder Hodgedon suggests and I could easily go up from the 39grs to find a good load.

Good luck finding any powder anywhere in Fairbanks tho. My buddy just happened to have a new can and gave it to me until I find some. John