Thread: Taurus Judge , Cross outdoors

Default Taurus Judge , Cross outdoors

I thought I would pass along some pictures from a Taurus Judge project that Mike Cyrus from Cross Outdoors is working on.
    He sent me these bullets and cases to look over .
    It is a light load using the 45 colt case and some custom bullets he had made for him.
    These bullets are Copper and weighing in at 260 Grains .How the bullet manufacture gets those cuts into the bullet is beyond me ????
    The bullet it self is 1.15 long and loaded into a 45 colt brass is 2.15 OAL and the bullet expansion comes to a mere 1.457 wide after being shot into water .
    The load from a 3" Judge hit's a whopping 620 FPS .
    He is still tweaking these loads with different bullets and powders .
    Looks to be a very nice project .
    My camera does no justice on close ups. If I could get a really good close up of these bullets they look like razor edges .
    More to come later.
    Enjoy

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Very interesting. I wonder what it will do in other media than water. As for the grooves I suspect the press/crush it down over a mandrel in a roller press then extract the mandrel.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Very interesting. I wonder what it will do in other media than water. As for the grooves I suspect the press/crush it down over a mandrel in a roller press then extract the mandrel.
    The bullet performs the same in ballistic gelatin as well as "The Bullet Test Tube" which is a very dense waxy substance.

The most realistic test media was into a very large raccoon. The bullet expanded exactly as pictured and stopped under the off side hide. Massive tissue damage as was expected. This performance was what the bullet was designed to do for personal defense. Extreme expansion for wound channel, but designed to prevent over-penetration.

I am a little curious how some thing like that would preform agenst hitting bone?
    Has there been any testing in that regard?

I think these would be great for home defense . If ya missed the bad guy I would think the bullet would have a hard time going through walls .

Here are a couple pictures of the expanded bullet on it's side.

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I am a little curious how some thing like that would preform agenst hitting bone?
    Has there been any testing in that regard?
    Not other than the raccoon. They had no problem with the shoulder blades. We may have to try and mould a deer shoulder in some ballistic gel or something to see what they do to it. I have no doubt as to how they would perform on on ribs however.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Not other than the raccoon. They had no problem with the shoulder blades. We may have to try and mould a deer shoulder in some ballistic gel or something to see what they do to it. I have no doubt as to how they would perform on on ribs however.
    Ya, not a hunting bullet but could be a great human defense round. So that being the case what about heavy clothing tests, any so far? It looks like it would yaw on contact and turn into a buzz saw with ragged cutting edges. Itís a very interesting concept that may be adaptable to 410s as a slug also.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i like to see more of the round as you bring it along

I feel sorry for the doc who has to take those things out of some poor SOB. I bet they do just as much damage coming out as they do going in.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Yes my consern would have been ribs and sternum

i had a very nice talk to Mr Cross today and beening a very nice man to talk to about the reloading of the rounds along with the rounds are going to come in two diff set up ..one for the 460.revolver useing the casull brass as the base and the one for the Tarus judge revolver set up useing a lower pressure round than the 460.rd .

so sometime in the future you see the diff rounds comeing out ..they will be sold in boxs of 8 rds and 15.rds i was told on the phone today and that could change ..