Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spring lake trout?

Default spring lake trout?

Any advice where to go for spring lake trout? I've been to tangle lakes in june and again in october but I only caught small lakers (2-4 lbs). I would like to catch some bigger fish this year. I would appreciate any advice where and when.

Do you have a boat?

ill be watching this thread to see where it goes......

well the big lakes from what i hear arent even ice free till early-mid june....im plannin on fishin paxson after ice out with my boat, but ill also be trying lake louise, susitna and tyone if i can get to it. also plan on hittin the tangles while in the paxson area. all the while searching out bears and then after that trip the reds should be hittin the kenai/russian, as well as our super secret big rainbow trout spot

Release Lake Trout

Yes, I have a boat. I was thinking about lake louise/susitina but I've heard that those lakes can be difficult to find the the fish and there are lots of people there. Paxson lake seems like it would be a good one to start on, I heard that there is a smolt migration in june. When is the ice off on paxson?

1st-12th of june most years so ive heard

Release Lake Trout

Do you knw how big the lakers are in paxson lake? Would I have to use downriggers to find them?

Quote Originally Posted by akblood View Post
    Yes, I have a boat. I was thinking about lake louise/susitina but I've heard that those lakes can be difficult to find the the fish and there are lots of people there. Paxson lake seems like it would be a good one to start on, I heard that there is a smolt migration in june. When is the ice off on paxson?
    If you have laker fever expect to do a lot of exploring to find the fish. Expect to find fish and have them not hit anything that you throw at them. They will follow your lure to the boat and refuse to hit it.

It is about patterning. If you fnd the fish on a flat and they are hitting ::fish on:: then they will flat turn off. Go to the next flat and see if they are feeding and so on.... No use fishing for fish that are there but won't hit.

Most of the lake trout lakes will get a heavy presence on the big 3 day weekends. Other than that, they are used by the people with cabins and a few people fish.

Remember that big lakes get big waves. Lake Louise can go from flat water to 4 foot rollers in a matter of minutes. Learn where safe waters are. Be ready to spend the night. Be able to anchor your boat 60 feet from shore on a bouy.

Mike

Do you have any experience on paxson lake? What kind of tackle do you use? I have heard there is good fishing at the outlet when the salmon smolt are migrating ou of the lake.

I don't fish Paxton Lake. It is too far to drive and requires a lot of time to figure out. I fish the Lake Louise area. I have fished Fielding and the Tangle Lake area lakes.

To fish lake trout you need to be able to troll to find them. Then you need to decide if you want to continue trolling or try jigging for them. If you get a hit on a troll, you have "probably" found an area where they are feeding. They may continue feeding for 3 hours or 3 minutes. If I don't get a hit in 30 minutes, I go to the next area that has the same water temp, structure, baitfish etc. Just because they are there does not mean that they will hit. You will also encounter a few that are just doing their thing. They are not attached to a school or a certain structure. They will be found in areas where the general population of lakers is 1/2 mile away and are solitary fish.

Lures have been discussed many times here. I have caught 80% or more of my fish on the same style lure. It has produced a lot of fish and I generally have 4-10 of them at any time on my boat. Having said that, I will also say that a friend that fished with me catches more fish (though smaller overall) and he switches lures all the time based on where we are etc..... We don't use downriggers yet. Only rarely do I find the fish that deep. The boats at Paxton seemed to have them as a rule.

Lure thoughts.
    Spoons - Silver, brass, gold, daredevil, 5 of diamonds, watermelon
    Hard lures - Rapalas, Flatfish, Quickfish.
    Swivels - Buy the best that you can afford. I use P-Line from B&Js.
    Line - I use 17 LB Trilene and some superbraids. Not sold on anything yet.
    Rods - If you see a serious laker fisherman and he has a typical trout rod in his hand, he is not used to or preared for a huge fattie. I use a typical silver rod and a levelwind.
    Weights - I always have 1, 1.5, 2.0 banana weights.
    Use a salmon net.
    Use a seamstress tape in case you get one that you want a fiberglass mount made. Lenght and girth and a clean picture plus $4-500 will get you a nice mount and the fish lives.
    I use a scale and take a quick picture of it. It is quick and gets the fish back in the water.

IF you want to start talking state record. You need to think 46+ inch fish unless it is extremely girthy. Keeping a 40 inch fish because you "think" it is close is killing a potential record fish in the future.

Record your information.

Mike

Another note on weighing your fish. If you aren't going to keep it, weigh it in the net as it's much easier on the fish. With the fish in the bag of the net, hook the scale through the mesh of the net in several places and weigh. Subtract the weight of the net to get the fishes weight.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it...now, if only spring would come.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Another note on weighing your fish. If you aren't going to keep it, weigh it in the net as it's much easier on the fish. With the fish in the bag of the net, hook the scale through the mesh of the net in several places and weigh. Subtract the weight of the net to get the fishes weight.
    Dave,
    I had too many people trying to tell me about their 20 pound, 30 inch fish. I have had 34 inch fish weigh from 9 pounds 6 OZ to almost 16 pounds. As time goes by, it is much easier to just take a pic and let them go. I must be getting old.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Dave,
    I had too many people trying to tell me about their 20 pound, 30 inch fish. I have had 34 inch fish weigh from 9 pounds 6 OZ to almost 16 pounds. As time goes by, it is much easier to just take a pic and let them go. I must be getting old.

Mike
    You mean like this pair of 20 pounders?? ?? ??

Actually a 20 pounder looks like this.

Good info in this thread!

On a weight/length graph a mediumm girth lake trout will be 42# at 42". I have taken 42" trout that weighed as much as 47#......IIRC a 30" LT should be about 13 pounds. My partner took a 45" LT that weighed 62#.

We weigh all these big fish "in the landing net"......measure with a seamstress tape.....That largest fish may have been close to a century old.....please release em!
    A couple small ones make a far better dinner.

Early season fishing can usually be done relatively shallow.....15' to 40'.......

I agree on banana sinkers with a few feet of fluorocarbon leader attached to the best LT spoon I've ever found.....most knowledgeable lake trout fishermen will have Sutton Spoons in their box.

Dave,
    Those fish on the table are HUGE!!! I bet they are way over 20 pounds by now and getting bigger with each story.

Vern,
    I find the fish shallower than you do. In June, they rarely go below 20 feet. Late season, they are around 35-40 feet.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Dave,
    Those fish on the table are HUGE!!! I bet they are way over 20 pounds by now and getting bigger with each story.

Vern,
    I find the fish shallower than you do. In June, they rarely go below 20 feet. Late season, they are around 35-40 feet.

Mike
    Yep, we only eat the big ones here all the dinks are let go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yep, we only eat the big ones here all the dinks are let go!!!
    Cat out of the bag...... How does Dave prepare Lake trout? Start a new thread please. I will be keeping a couple this year due to culinary indulgence.

KOTW Mike

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Good info in this thread!

On a weight/length graph a mediumm girth lake trout will be 42# at 42". I have taken 42" trout that weighed as much as 47#......IIRC a 30" LT should be about 13 pounds. My partner took a 45" LT that weighed 62#.

We weigh all these big fish "in the landing net"......measure with a seamstress tape.....That largest fish may have been close to a century old.....please release em!
    A couple small ones make a far better dinner.Early season fishing can usually be done relatively shallow.....15' to 40'.......

I agree on banana sinkers with a few feet of fluorocarbon leader attached to the best LT spoon I've ever found.....most knowledgeable lake trout fishermen will have Sutton Spoons in their box.
    Vern - A single laker can yield several pounds of filets. Without a smoker, how do you prepare a 24-30 inch fish? Looking for a Coleman stove and fry pan type meal deal. Looking for a butter dipped lobster type dinner.

Mike

dirtofak,

I keep it simple....cut fillet into smaller pieces about the size of two fingers.....season with Citrus Grill from Sam's Club and roll in Zatarain's {Walmart] or something similar....fry in hot oil......we usually have 6-10 guys at trout camp so we can eat a fish that size easily....

I have a great little fry pan that I brought back from Mexico...a thin sheet metal wok with a shelf around the edge.....the wok shape requires very little oil and the fish chunks are moved through the oil and turned over for another pass before being moved onto the shelf to drain and continue slowly cooking....ready to serve.

The lobster/butter thing I reserve for burbot.

For those fishing the East end of Denali Highway, try Two Bit Lake.....a lot of trout in there although I haven't seen any large ones.....probably over-populated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast