Thread: lice on furbearers?

Default lice on furbearers?

I was reading through some post on here and read that there are no lice on canines in interior Alaska. Does this cover felines and weasels as well?

While I have never seen lice on a wild canine in Alaska I have seen them on squirrels, lynx, and ermine in the Delta Junction area.

Supporting Member

Default Lice?

Bronco,
    Are you sure it was lice or was it maybe fleas? Normally you would associate fleas with Lynx, Ermine and occasionally fox and/or coyotes. Most of the cases involving lice are of the "dog" variety, due to wild canids originally getting the infestation through contact with dog lots.

Default Lice Article

Bronco, not sure if this helps but here is an article on the spread of wolf lice in AK and what they are trying to do about it.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=wolf.lice

It is from 2008 but has some good info. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to know about hides that had lice on them but I am not sure. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in?

Cheers,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

as far as i know most people only worry about fleas on lynx i got a yote a few weeks ago and he was clean but they always say dont carry a lynx around your neck or youll get fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Bronco,
    Are you sure it was lice or was it maybe fleas? Normally you would associate fleas with Lynx, Ermine and occasionally fox and/or coyotes. Most of the cases involving lice are of the "dog" variety, due to wild canids originally getting the infestation through contact with dog lots.

Spike you are correct I was thinking of fleas and got he two mixed up. I have seen and heard of fleas before but never lice that is a new one on me.

Thanks for the link Jackson's Dad.

Some of the wolves in the Interior are so full of lice the trappers don't want to bother skinning them.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I believe the lice on wolves started on the Kenai Peninsula back in about 1980 or maybe a little earlier. It was surmised that the wolves got the lice from eating an infested dog. The Alaska Trappers Association wanted to wipe out this one small pack before the lice spread but they ran into much opposition from the Greenies. Healthy wolves ate and co-mingled with infested animals until they eventually spread the problem at least as far north as the Interior regions of the state. It could and should have been eradicated when it was a small and localized problem but for the interference.

The lice was pretty much contained to the Kenai. Then Gov Knowles decided to bow to the environmental groups and relocate wolves from the 40 mile instead of shooting them. Once released on the Keani the wolves intermingled with the local wolves and got infested with lice. Then most returned home to the 40 mile, spreading the lice infestation along the way. Now many of the packs in the interior are infested with lice, and the vermin are spreading.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default well

well atleast we dont' have problems with ticks.....yet....and on the lice, thanks knowles
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"