Thread: Is sled registration required in Alaska

Default Is sled registration required in Alaska

Is registration required with the associated stickers on the machine in Alaska?
    I know AMD has been pushing the issue for awile but last I knew it was not required as of yet.
    I ask because I dont want to pay any fines taking my unregistered machines to an area like Hatchers pass where the rules are more likely to be enforced. It would be a better idea to put the cash to paying for the registration.

Regards,

Jim

Default Yes and No

Living in Valdez, yes I register my machine as I frequent more areas where I may be checked. Living on the Yukon 350 miles east of Fairbanks where there is no DMV and or police, no. Ever been checked, no.

But yes it is required.

A snow vehicle is a vehicle propelled by mechanical power, supported in part by ski's, belts, cleats, or low pressure tires and primarily designed to travel over ice and snow. ATVs with low pressure tires may be registered as snow vehicles.

"Snowmachines and ATV's are NOT titled in Alaska, however snowmachines are required to be registered unless they are operated solely on private property. A snow vehicle season is from October 1st to September 30th of the second year. The expiration for a snow vehicle obtaining an original registration in Alaska, or registering a snow vehicle that has been expired over one year will be issued a registration for two, four or six years for the current calendar year. "

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've been checked at Hatcher Pass, Turnagain Pass, Point MacKenzie, and Chugach State Park in Anchorage. Registration is required to ride on all public lands. I believe the state funds some trail organizations and that funding is determined by registered snowmachines. My sleds are registered.

I have a Yamaha and some Polaris's in the family. A DMV clerk once told me I should register the Yammy for 4 years but the Polaris's wouldn't last more then two. I cracked up. Humor at the DMV. Brand loyalty is everywhere.

Snowmachine question has been answered. However I was checked a couple years ago while riding an ATV. The Trooper informed me that although most peole don't register ATV's it is required and at that time his Superior had sent out a memo stating that the Troopers need to enforce ATV registration via citations. I still don't know anyone that has been cited but my machines are always registered. It's cheap and eliminates any possible problems while trying to enjoy the ride.

On a second note, if its registered the DMV knows the serial number in case of theft. Not that it will do alot of good but how many of you know yours?

Question

What do they offer in terms of short term (by the day or week ) registrations for nonresidents?

That's an interesting question. It costs $10 for 2 years. Assuming here but I would think that it would be the same as car registrations. If you have it registered in your state it should be good here. This is the link to DMV for that but at a glance I didn't see anything specific to your question. http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages...v/reg/snow.htm Hope that helps.

Thanks
    It was always that way here too until a few years ago when Maine decided they could make extra bling by requiring nonresident to register here too. This naturally didn't take long to catch on so they're all doing it. One year I did some major touring around new england and my whole cowling was plastered with big ugly stickahs.

Non resident registrations here are around 90.00 annual.

I'll check for sure when we get there.

I looked around, but couldn't find what the registration money goes towards. Anybody know?

Default If

If the registration is like a motor vehicle, you have 30 days to register it. I have never heard of an out-of-state registration requirement.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerGrant View Post
    I looked around, but couldn't find what the registration money goes towards. Anybody know?
    This doesn't answer "where the registration money goes" but it demonstrates that snow riders get some help from the state.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/grants/snowmotr.htm